SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To kill the fox?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To kill the fox? Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
Last night right about when it got dark I looked out the back door and saw a fox. It had just passed our chicken coop with 8 chickens and a smaller pen that has 4 smaller birds in it.

Something has killed at least 3 of our guineas, no idea if it was the fox or not. Their heads were ripped off, I thought maybe a hawk got a hold of them and realized they were a little bigger than expected. And now seeing the fox got me thinking.

So what would you guys do? Be preventive if I see him again or let him go?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biting chickens' heads off is more a trait of raccoons than foxes. I'd keep an eye out for them.

Having said that, I found paw prints of a pair of foxes by our chicken coop, cornered them in a sewer pipe and killed them. As beautiful as they were, it upset me to have to do it, but it was necessary.

Over time, we lost all of our birds to predators, despite my killing the foxes, a couple possums, and over a dozen raccoons. The last half-dozen or more of our chickens we lost to a weasel that I spotted just once, when I was unarmed.

We gave up on ever being able to keep chickens.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
if you do end up killing it, you should find a taxidermist who could take the pelt off your hands, either for a personal project or for you. I've always found Foxes to be gorgeous. My biology teacher in high school was a taxidermist and he had a beautiful fox in the classroom he'd done.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There's about a 100% chance the fox will kill your chickens if he gets a chance. It's what they do, unfortunately. I'd have no compunctions about killing him, if I saw him around my chicken pen.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
There's about a 100% chance the fox will kill your chickens if he gets a chance. It's what they do, unfortunately. I'd have no compunctions about killing him, if I saw him around my chicken pen.

Roger that.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys, now I have to find that sucker and be ready when I do.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it was a fox... A fox is going to go after more than just the head, and is going to haul off and stash the remains. Plus, it would be easier to go after chickens and eggs than dealing with Guineas. Do you have any large owls (especially Great Horned Owls) around?

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If they're decapitated, it's probably a raccoon. But the fox will kill them, too, given the chance. I see a lot of them working nights...they're fun to watch, but I wouldn't want them near my chickens.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ripping the heads off? That sounds like a weasel to me.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Your fowl pen isn't strong enough to repel him? My neighbors chicken pen can hold a cow without issue.

We have had a family of foxes here , every season for 30 years. Never an issue with the chickens. they WATCH them and have tried to get in, but they can't.

Frankly I'd rather see the foxes than the stupid chickens.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Fox eggs are difficult to collect and not very toothsome.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I shoot them every chance I get.

One got some of my chickens, now none get parlay.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Weasels are notorious for biting the heads off of chickens and drinking the blood. They are tricky little bastards and hard to trap or kill. I learned that the hard way. If you have a problem fox you wouldn't be seeing the bodies, just feathers and blood.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post