SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TED talk about why guns are good
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TED talk about why guns are good Login/Join 
Picture of muddle_mann
posted
From a guy in Europe no less...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAsM1vAhW0

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
From a guy in Europe no less...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAsM1vAhW0

Yes, VERY European in his viewpoint, VERY much NOT American in his viewpoint. He specifically says he does NOT like guns, that he hopes for the day when "we", meaning the human race, does away with guns.

He advocates solely for the state monopoly on the use of violence, does NOT advocate for the individual's right to use lethal force. The Second Amendment is anathema to him.

I'm glad he chose the gun as his instrument, but I reject his philosophy.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I've never understood the "if there were no guns..." Theory.

There is plenty of history without them. We had swords, spears, clubs, rocks etc

Man has always been a violent animal, the gun just increased our efficiency slightly and more importantly, gave us much needed range.

There will be a future without guns, only because something better at killing will be invented.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Guns are bad because they seek to force their view points on the populace.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
Yes, VERY European in his viewpoint, VERY much NOT American in his viewpoint. He specifically says he does NOT like guns, that he hopes for the day when "we", meaning the human race, does away with guns.

He advocates solely for the state monopoly on the use of violence, does NOT advocate for the individual's right to use lethal force. The Second Amendment is anathema to him.

I'm glad he chose the gun as his instrument, but I reject his philosophy.

THIS^

That 'talk' was a long time ago and presents a very 'corporate' view of firearms and private ownership. Half the liberals in the audience choked on their tongues when a guy in uniform came on stage and another came out with a firearm. The other half got a boner because it was a European talking to American's about guns; he has an accent not a twang or, drawl, so he's an expert, unlike you hillbilly gun worshipers.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mixed feelings:
He lays out a good rebuttle to the Liberal mantra "war never solved anything", but he obviously implies that ONLY the military should have guns. He keeps emphasizing "the STATE monopoly on violence".
Not really a very deep or insightful talk...typical of the "TED" level.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Maybe he should read the news about some of the countries around the world where private ownership is forbidden.
We are very fortunate to have a constitution and bill of rights.
Most countries don't

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post