SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas leak causes house explosion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas leak causes house explosion Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Wow, the house will have to be condemned

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/loc...ured-2-men/769748877

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Duct tape fixes anything...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Group of friends, a few cases of beer, a stack of pizzas, a fist full of Home Depot gift cards = fixable

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That blowed up good.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Wow, hard to see how you live through that if you're anywhere near the center of the explosion.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Beans in the chili, again, eh?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If the article is correct, the natural gas leak source was the gas clothes dryer. I'm guessing the clothes dryer is on the first floor and blast overpressure wave blew out the exterior walls and caused the 2nd floor and roof to collapse.

Hope the guys with 2nd and 3rd degree burns pull through, and they find the lost dog.

Good reminder for everyone:
  • to put some dish soap on your natural gas connections on your gas appliances to look for bubbles indicating a leak.
  • that there is nothing in your everyday life that smells like mercaptan so if you smell rotten eggs get out and call 911 w/o doing anything that creates a spark (e.g. flipping on a light switch).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Mensch
    Picture of kz1000
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by arfmel:
    That blowed up good.

Real good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
    -Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Doing what I want,
    When I want,
    If I want!
    Picture of beltfed21
    posted Hide Post
    A little spackling compound and paint.... she’ll be good as new. Big Grin

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nosce te ipsum
    Picture of Woodman
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Good reminder for everyone:
  • to put some dish soap on your natural gas connections on your gas appliances to look for bubbles indicating a leak.

• The same way you find that pesky leak in your tire after the screw has fallen out. A good-quality spray bottle, water, and a healthy squirt of dish soap. You spray all the fittings - I've sprayed pipe as well, on a commercial job, pipe which would be concealed - and keep an eye on it. You'll see the bubble from leaking gas. Back in the day, we'd use a coffee can with water/soap, applied with a big paint brush. Wednesday we used a commercial product in a blue spray bottle to test the connections on a 1.5" x 160' PE line supplying a 300k BTU pool heater. Even though all the connections are outside, everything gets checked.

That pictured explosion was not a tiny leak. Maybe an improperly installed flexible connector came unfastened from vibration?

A residential gas leak and explosion can level the house entirely and damage nearby structures. We had one of those in western PA a couple of years ago. Looked like a tornado came through.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    We felt that one at the house, it’s about 2 miles or so as the crow flies. Sounded like one of the kids had fallen upstairs. Didn’t figure it out until the news the next day.

--
    I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    This happened to a good friend of mine a few years ago. An underground gas leak filled their basement with gas and the house exploded and burned. Luckily they were late getting home that day. While their next door neighbors were outside watching the fire their house blew up too.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Steve Collins:
    This happened to a good friend of mine a few years ago. An underground gas leak filled their basement with gas and the house exploded and burned. Luckily they were late getting home that day. While their next door neighbors were outside watching the fire their house blew up too.

Happened a few times when I lived in Reading, Pa. Several houses in the 18th ward district with old houses, when gas leak in the street going into someones cellar.....then BOOM.

Reading city workers were power digging at a city intersection and pierced a gas line, causing a massive leak.

I never saw city workers run away so fast and I was right behind them.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post