SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Binocular viewing question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binocular viewing question Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
I wear progressive lens with some astigmatism issues as well. I don't have numbers in front of me but I qualified for an unrestricted DL recently. I don't drive without as fatigue and headaches are a result of a few hours on the road.

Considering the above am I better off using binoculars with my glasses off? The progressives make it a real pain in the ass, but I might be doing something wrong.

I'll be doing a bunch of glassing next week. Any help would sure be appreciated.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Not an expert, but I wear progressives and wear them when using binoculars. You do need to be sure that eye relief is adequate, and should be using the upper (distance) part of the glasses.

When using a telescope, I have a couple of eyepieces that have a special lens made by Televue that makes it so I don't have to wear glasses. That's definitely better, but doesn't help with binoculars.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
With your glasses on, are you rolling the eye cup back? The lense will then touch your glasses closer. Also, are yiu adjusting the focus on the lens side for clarity prior to adjusting the center?

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
OP: there's tricks to using binos with progressive glasses that work well enough in comparison to not wearing glasses while using the binos, at least in my own geezer vision experience.

I've also discovered over the years a 'good quality' bino works far better for me than a 'mediocre quality' bino.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Well this stems from recently upping my game from Stiener 8X30 up to Ziess 8X42. The Stiener have the one time focus feature whereas the Ziess have the typical focus wheel.

I moved the glass to a sweet spot previously as there was little choice. Now it seems I'm fidgeting between moving and refocusing.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There aren't many binoculars that give a truly full field of view with eyeglasses on. Even with long eye relief on Swarovskis, I get some vignetting.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post