SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Charles Murray on the coming collapse of the college degree.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charles Murray on the coming collapse of the college degree. Login/Join 
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
The BA is now the equivalent of the modern High School diploma.
I think you must mean what a high school diploma used to be--the modern version isn't worth spit in many cases.

Regarding degrees, there are worthwhile ones and useless ones, and it's not just due to the subject matter--some of it is related to the quality of instruction and the effort required to earn it. Almost any degree that requires a lot of work by the student will have a few real applications that matter (but maybe not as many as there are such degree holders)--I suppose even one in Basketweaving.

I graduated in 1960 with a B. S. in Chemical Engineering and immediately was commissioned a 2LT in USAF, which made me a Radar Maintenance Officer (with no training!), and I served in related occupations in USAF for 15 years. During that time they sent me to get a M. S. in Industrial Engineering, which they then didn't make much use of, either. After 15 years as an officer (Captain) I was tossed out (didn't get promoted) and enlisted as a COBOL computer programmer--something that any GOOD high school student could learn, and many in USAF did) and I finished my 20 years doing that, followed by 26 more years in civilian life.

So--were my degrees worthwhile or useless? I never worked in either field, and found few opportunities to employ the specific knowledge imparted in my classes. Yet I did learn how to analyze problems, apply logic, and formulate solutions--all elements that were very useful in my later occupations.

In the end it is the dedication and work effort put into earning a degree that has the greatest effect, not the specific subject matter. If the lessons teach material useful in one's job it is best, of course, but most of what one needs to know on any job is learned in situ, not in the classroom.

flashguy

I only disagree in that were talking about todays world not how it used to be. There are a million coders out there and anyone who can google can find the solution to a million problems. Hell, this forum provides free advice to those who ask. Technology and information are so fast and avaialble that its no longer a skill rather a commodity. Supply and demand. College degrees are far to prevalent.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got to more or less agree with Black.

There really is no substitute for a brick and mortar education. There is much more to an education than simply memorizing something out of a book. Getting up on time, physically going into a classroom and being there on time, in-person interpersonal interaction with physical people including your instructor, taking closed book exams and finishing within the allotted time, etc.... It is all part of the education that makes it a more well-rounded learning experience, and you do not get that from online courses.

Yes, I have taken online courses. In fact, I dropped out of an online PhD program about ten years ago because, frankly, it was a hokey waste of my time. I applied to them because I felt that it would fit well with my life and my schedule at the time, but discovered that I didn't want to spend $30K teaching myself the material and the only thing that I would get out of it was a bill for $30K.

I had this discussion with my daughter a year or so ago when she was entertaining signing up for an online nurse practitioner program. I discouraged her from doing so by asking a simple question: How many online medical schools are there, and why?

Now, having said that, I do think there is a place for certain classes online. Basically anything that a student used to be able to CLEP. English comp, basic math, and other bonehead freshman coursework.

Call me old-fashioned, it's a badge I wear with honor.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
The BA is now the equivalent of the modern High School diploma.
I think you must mean what a high school diploma used to be--the modern version isn't worth spit in many cases.
--

In the end it is the dedication and work effort put into earning a degree that has the greatest effect, not the specific subject matter. If the lessons teach material useful in one's job it is best, of course, but most of what one needs to know on any job is learned in situ, not in the classroom.

flashguy

I only disagree in that were talking about todays world not how it used to be. There are a million coders out there and anyone who can google can find the solution to a million problems. Hell, this forum provides free advice to those who ask. Technology and information are so fast and avaialble that its no longer a skill rather a commodity. Supply and demand. College degrees are far to prevalent.

Sure, Stack Overflow is full of answers. It doesn't teach you how to think. Lots of crap code out there that are just copy/paste from google.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post