SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    50-100 years from now..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50-100 years from now.. Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
Will all this "Sexual Harassment Witch-hunting" be characterized like the "McCarthy hearings" or the even the "Salem Witch Hunts"?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a 'witch hunt' if there ARE witches. . .

The term 'witch hunt' implies, as does the McCarthy reference, that people are being accused without cause. It seems to me that the vast majority of these accusations seem to be valid.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The Salem witch trials didn't find any witches because there is no such thing, but the HUAC did find commies.

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The hysteria of today is seldom the hysteria of tomorrow.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The Salem witch trials didn't find any witches because there is no such thing, but the HUAC did find commies.

They didn’t find any actual witches but they hung a few women anyway.

quote:
The Salem witch trials were a series of hearings and prosecutions of people accused of witchcraft in colonial Massachusetts between February 1692 and May 1693. The trials resulted in the executions of twenty people, fourteen of them women, and all but one by hanging. Five others (including two infant children) died in prison.

It was similar with the so called McCarthy Era. Were any communists found and neutralized? Maybe, but a great many were ruined whether they were or not. One was John Henry Faulk, a radio personality who won a judgment against one network (CBS, I think) for ruining his career.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I'll be dead, so I won't care.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31422 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I doubt it will appear in any history texts one way or the other. It seems the women in the entertainment industry finally got fed up with putting up with this particular brand of silly shit and decided not to just let it slide anymore. While I’ve got no doubt the pendulum will swing too far the other direction in some cases, it does seem like the boys needed a reminder that, yes, that shit is creepy and they should cut it out.

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So far this has been completely outside the legal realm (we'll see if they actually get around to indicting Weinstein.)

At some point I expect this to burn out and, to some extent but not completely, go away.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
I doubt it will appear in any history texts one way or the other. It seems the women in the entertainment industry finally got fed up with putting up with this particular brand of silly shit and decided not to just let it slide anymore. While I’ve got no doubt the pendulum will swing too far the other direction in some cases, it does seem like the boys needed a reminder that, yes, that shit is creepy and they should cut it out.

Damn but that's about the most clear concise explanation I've come across.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5145 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post