SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harvey mayor: Employees must prove they work for city to get paychecks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harvey mayor: Employees must prove they work for city to get paychecks Login/Join 
posted
What a novel idea!!! Suburb of Chicago. This sort of checking would not work with Chicago.

HARVEY, Ill. -- City workers in south suburban Harvey are having to prove they actually work for the city before they can get paid.

Mayor Christopher Clark says since he's taken office there's been no protocols or procedures in place, resulting in shoddy record keeping.

To address concerns of ghost payrolling, the new mayor is requiring workers show up at city hall between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Friday, to confirm they are city employees before they receive a paycheck.

The mayor says HR records are so bad, he doesn't have confidence that all of the more than 200 people on the payroll actually work for Harvey.

RELATED STORY
New mayor of Harvey says City Hall records in disarray, ghost payrollers possible

The mayor says employees will not receive checks unless they show up and verify employment.

Mayor Clark took over in the south suburb last week, and showed the WGN Investigates team what he describes as total chaos, total dysfunction at city hall.

In room after ransacked-looking room, city records seemed to explode out of stacks of boxes which nearly reached the ceiling. There were utility records and requests for death certificates in a stairwell closet. In a basement office, reams of records had been dumped alongside a singing Santa stuffed in a box.

Clark says he has no way of knowing which assets the city owns, for example, how many vehicles are in the city's fleet. Also, an independent audit of the city found it unclear who was in charge of handling key finances.

Clark replaced Harvey's longtime Mayor Eric Kellogg after engineering the passage of a term-limit law. Kellogg ran the south suburb for 16 years, and his name is everywhere. His term expired soon after the Feds raided city hall.

Kellogg was not charged, but two of his brothers and a cousin were among six charged in an extortion and bribery scheme in March.

WGN could not reach the former mayor for comment.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/2019/05/24/h...ty-to-get-paychecks/

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
It happens. I worked for a dairy back in the mid to late 1970s. The Unions were causing all kinds of trouble, putting many of their employers out of business (and making their members unemployed). We were a small dairy and the workers really did want their jobs. But the union wanted everyone to toe the line. It was kind of ugly. Those of us who weren't union could just do our jobs and watch.

One of the fun parts was the way union workers got their checks. We just put a rubber band around the pile of envelops and put them in a drawer out in the plant managers desk. It was a violation of rules to hand them to people. Would make it harder for the "workers" to play games.

So one of the things we did to balance our checking account was to verify that all the checks came back. You know, endorsed with a signature that kind of resembled the one from the prior week and the same week a year ago. You'd be shocked at how many didn't. When we mentioned it, it became an unfair labor practice. In a small company, most of us knew everyone. Well except a few.... Just asking about them resulted in a union president visiting. His job was to make everyone unhappy.

Mostly we had peace. But one of the big dairies was going out of business. Slow and ugly. Mostly the milk marketing association ran them. So when things failed and a big surprise bankruptcy was filed, it became Federal. And in walked a guy appointed by a Federal Judge. Just one single threat and he suddenly had US Marshalls as body guards. More fun and games. Turns out 3 or 4 checks were there and no one had seen or heard the names before. These guys were making $30,000 or so back then, a righteous salary. Their time cards stopped getting signed and turned in. Funny thing. Who said organized crime didn't exist around here. Those were the good ole days.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Harvey is a shit hole suburb on the Chicago south west side, as are the surrounding communities.
A perfect example of black utopia.
Harvey police were raided by the FBI recently.
I predict the new mayor will have a lethal accident in the not to distant future.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
"Have you seen my stapler?”

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Worked security at a club in Harvey back in 2006 and 2007. It was fun times. Big Grin Huge group fights would break out at closing time. Harvey PD came to the parking lot and told us to not let that happen again, we were allowed to kill someone if we had to in order to prevent large fights from breaking out.

It's possibly one of the most corrupt cities in the Chicago area. Put that into perspective if you can. Some of their LE types were sent to prison for being lookouts for undercover feds posing as drug dealers. One of those guys was a brother of a co-worker. He did some years, she claimed he was innocent, of course.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you resemble MR.T?? Cannot imagine working security in those clubs.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Harvey is a shit hole suburb on the Chicago south west side, as are the surrounding communities.

I went to high school in Harvey (mid-70s). It was a shit hole then. I can only imagine what it's like now.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Do you resemble MR.T?? Cannot imagine working security in those clubs.
Nope, not in the least. I know him. He is not a big guy, not at all. Yet, somehow I get the strong impression that (even if I were younger and in decent shape) I would not want to fuck with him.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post