SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Peak California: Cali Supreme Court throws out bullet stamping lawsuit saying law can't be invalid just because it's impossible to comply
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peak California: Cali Supreme Court throws out bullet stamping lawsuit saying law can't be invalid just because it's impossible to comply Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Literally insane.

https://www.newsobserver.com/n...rticle213997664.html

The Latest: California justices toss bullet stamping suit

SAN FRANCISCO
The Latest on a ruling by the California Supreme Court on a state bullet stamping law (all times local):

10:45 a.m.

The California Supreme Court says state laws cannot be invalidated on the grounds that complying with them is impossible.

The unanimous ruling on Thursday rejected a lawsuit by gun rights groups that sought to throw out a California law that requires new models of semi-automatic handguns to stamp identifying information on bullet casings. The groups argued that technology did not exist to meet the stamping requirements, and a law can't mandate something that's not possible.

The court said impossibility can sometimes lead courts to excuse a failure to comply with a law. But it said it can't be the basis for invalidating a law.

A call to a spokesman for one of the plaintiffs, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, was not immediately returned.

___

11 p.m.

The California Supreme Court will decide whether state laws can be challenged in court on the grounds that complying with them is impossible.

The court will issue an opinion on that question Thursday in a lawsuit over a California law that requires new models of semi-automatic handguns to stamp identifying information on bullet casings.

Supporters of the law signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2007 say it will help police solve gun crimes by allowing them to link bullet casings to guns. Gun manufacturers argue that the technology does not exist to meet the stamping requirements.

They say a law can't mandate something that's not possible.

Attorneys for the state say lawmakers often enact laws to force industries to innovate. They warned a ruling in favor of gun makers could take away that power.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Well, obviously, they should have passed a law mandating that Solyndra be profitable. Wouldn't that have made it all good!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Wow! Just... WOW! California really IS a state of idiots!!! (No offense to those forum members who are stuck there and are unable to leave for reasons beyond your control!)

Total insanity seems to prevail from that state every single time I read any news from the left coast... just wish the good guys could leave and the rest of it would fall off in the ocean and disappear!

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Wow! Just... WOW! California really IS a state of idiots!!! (No offense to those forum members who are stuck there and are unable to leave for reasons beyond your control!)

Total insanity seems to prevail from that state every single time I read any news from the left coast... just wish the good guys could leave and the rest of it would fall off in the ocean and disappear!

I'm sure the forum members won't be offended by your assessment. Idiots, on the other hand, may be highly offended.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Just another example why I left CA.

I'm sorry to say, it really amuses me when CA gun owners truly believe that CA can return to a red state again. That Trump will go out of his way to save them. Or that they can "educate" leftist Democrats to their way of thinking by taking them to the gun range.

Like I said, amusing.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Reading that reminded me that it's been over a year since I've read Catch-22. Time to go dig out my old paperback again.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this mean that leo will no longer be able to have auto loader firearms as the weapons can not be made?

Posts: 726 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:

I'm sure the forum members won't be offended by your assessment. Idiots, on the other hand, may be highly offended.

Yes, leave the idiots out of this. CA has achieved an entirely different level of stupid many thought was not possible.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
They should make it mandatory that all Californians must hold their breath for an hour straight per day to reduce green house gas emissions. Impossible, due to current human physical limitations? Too bad, the law IS the law.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This idiotic law has been on the books for years.

IIRC, it was not to become effective unless and until it was possible to comply. I believe there was some machine that was in development, working out the details.

I also remember the threads about how stupid it was if it ever did become practical. Just pick up brass at various ranges and salt the crime scene of every shooting, or use a revolver, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:

Newton's laws would seem to compel that, but California isn't complying. The good news is that their Supreme Court can't invalidate it.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The courts ruling can mean laws that say:

Pi can now be 3.14 with none of those non repeating digits.

We can repeal the law of gravity. It’s “only” a law.

California can have as much water as it needs. Without building dam or anything that disturbs the enviorment.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:

Yes, leave the idiots out of this. CA has achieved an entirely different level of stupid many thought was not possible.

As someone raised here I am not offended at all by the truth.

This not Reagan's California, sadly.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
They should make it mandatory that all Californians must hold their breath for an hour straight per day to reduce green house gas emissions. Impossible, due to current human physical limitations? Too bad, the law IS the law.

Duct tape can fix that problem.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
We can repeal the law of gravity. It’s “only” a law.

I'm for a total ban on continental drift... hopefully CA will do it.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I just hope it is California tax dollars being wasted on these court cases.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Para's rooting for the comet. I'm rooting for the San Andreas Fault.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
They should require French Fries to be individually serialized. They do far more damage than bullets/cartridges.

Posts: 2009 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Para's rooting for the comet. I'm rooting for the San Andreas Fault.

Can someone please go shoot the San Andreas Fault with a 10mm and end this silliness?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Why not, they clearly ignore the laws of economics.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post