SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another day, another student loan that shouldn't be paid - the system is rigged!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another day, another student loan that shouldn't be paid - the system is rigged! Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Looks to be an older adult who went back to school. Stupid bim. Everything she did to earn her "degree" was wrong.
$1500 a month for a $260,000 loan doesn't sound wrong. What did she expect, to pay $25 per month? Roll Eyes

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Idiots. Work while you go to school. That’s what I did. Sure it sucked, 5 years of a 7 day a week grind. I rarely had a day off. Received two degrees and total student loans = 17k. Paid that loan off a week ago, and the payment was manageable at $99 a month. Taking hundreds of thousands of dollars out on loans is f’in nuts!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
She has an MBA. Was there no finance or contracting instruction in any of that?

Get a job, grind it out, pay it back.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
These assholes are using student loans to fund their party twitter/snapchat luxury lifestyle.

A neighbor of mine used her "Student loan" to get a boob job and the purchase of a new Jeep.

Last I heard she was seeking a guy for marriage so he could share the outstanding expense.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have the solution. Do away with federal student loans. If you want to take out a loan to go to school, have collateral to back it up.

This is a supply and demand issue. Higher "education" charges outrageous tuition and fees because.......they can. They know they can keep jacking up the cost, and people will keep paying it because all they have to do is apply for more, and more loans. You eliminate the loans, and the price of education will either go down, and/or the private sector will work out a solution to get the people that they need the education. I have zero sympathy for someone who spends $260,000 on this type of degree without a job waiting in the wings.

Federal student loans need to go. Offering up "free" money to an 18, 19, 20 or 21 year old (all think that they are going to get out of college and make a million a year with a Women's Studies degree) is a horrible idea, and I just do not understand why we allow it with no collateral. ESPECIALLY IF it is a worthless, made up degree that has no bearing on the job market like ancient archaeology. You should have to fund degrees like it or liberal arts up front, no credit accepted.

I'm also going to be the asshole that states the obvious. Not everyone needs to go to college. I giggle a little bit every time I read stories like this, and I have friends that are pulling down $120k-$130k a year in the trades. Most did two years in a local technical schools to learn their skill and accrued very little debt doing it. A lot of nurses are making really good jack right now. Many employers do require a BSN after so many years, but offer tuition assistance or payback for the degree.

The idea that everyone needs a college degree is something dreamed up by those selling college degrees.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What a dumb bitch. She's dumb because she doesn't understand basic economics and she's a bitch because of her attitude towards this matter.

But I doubt she's going to get anywhere with this because her name and face are plastered over TV as someone who, when the going gets tough, she is going to complain and put blame off on everyone besides herself. Who the hell would want to employ her now?

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Well, for the last 25 years I've been in the trades first as a tech, then management. I make a pretty decent salary and have worked with some super talented techs.

I went to college. That was the thing to do, right? Hated it. Quit after 2.5 years. Just got up in the middle of the semester and left. Fortunately I'd only taken out 1 loan for $2,500. I paid it back in 2 years and was thrilled I hadn't fallen further in to the trap. Kicked around in restaurants for close to 15 years before I fell in to the HVAC business.

I can't complain about the course my life has taken as I've ended up with a great life. But, I still get pissed that waayyy back in high school the only kids pointed to the trades were the loser kids who were considered troublemakers.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly that people should repay what they borrow. However,. I do have a problem with the government installing unnatural forces on the market. Like the mortgage crisis, the government is pushing these loans and shaping the market. The banks would not make these private student loans without the prohibition on discharge in bankruptcy and any subsidy they receive on the interest rates. Just let the market determine the terms of the loans and the crisis will evaporate. And the cost of higher education will come down.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Add me to the "work and go to school crowd". I worked two jobs through college, took a little longer than those who were fully subsidized by the .gov and mommy and daddy but I got the same bullshit piece of paper they did. I walked with $16k in loans afterwards, this was in 2006/2007. Paid it off two years ago.

$260k for a degree that isn't a JD or MD is fucking stupid. Good luck getting a high paying job at 24 with an MBA when you don't know shit about shit in the real world.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We live in the richest, safest nation in the history of the world. We have amazing universities and colleges all over and the federal government (in reality, all of us) guarantees student loans so people who otherwise could not afford a higher education can get one. And that’s not counting all of the grants and scholarships for people who work hard. Only in this bizarro-world age can those circumstances be considered predatory and the people who take advantage of them victims.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Loan
noun \ ˈlōn \

1. a : money lent at interest
b : something lent usually for the borrower's temporary use

Seems pretty self explanatory. Maybe if they did away with the "get out of jail" card; Bankruptcy, and made people pay their bills this would stop. If I want to borrow money I need collateral. So should any type of loan, be it for school or a boob job.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not read all the replies here but, when I taught at a Community college just north of me, the first day of a new class was crazy.

There were a lot of people signed up for the class, if they had met the standards to take the class.

After the roll was taken and handed in from the first class, the student loans were granted.

Then we would not see half or more of the students. This has become an epidemic. One older guy told me his daughter was a freshman at another school. She already had $60,000 in student loans and had been going to school for 3 years, but was still a Frosh.
He told me, she is living off the loans and never intends to pay them back.
He said lots of kids are doing it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The private companies that grant these loans rarely back down or forgive. No amount of public shaming or media bashing will dissuade them from enforcing a legal contract. And all those lifestyle photos the stupid student has allowed the media to display - yeah - those will end up in court too. Count on it.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I feel like an idiot for paying off my wife’s student loan. I should’ve just waited. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
That's ridiculous.

I joined the ARNG and worked 30+ hours a week during school. Had less than $500 in student loans left to pay when I graduated.

My daughter, who's just about to start her 5th year to receive her Masters, took out loans for the first time last year so she could study abroad for a semester with her class. I agreed to help her through school by covering 1/3 of her tuition and books provided she stayed on the dean's list. The remainder she was responsible for. She works 2 jobs and can squeeze a nickel more than anyone I know.

I did co-sign for one of her loans last year, but she was well aware of how things work. Prior to asking me to co-sign, she knew the fixed interest rate and what the repayment terms were. She even had an approximate of what the minimum payments would be and how long it would take to pay it back not only at the minimum, but if she payed x amount more...

For anyone to borrow that kind of money for student loans and say they did't know, I call BS.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post