SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Academy Awards
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Academy Awards Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
To be fair to Warren and Faye - nothing in the bylaws says that members of the Academy actually need to be able to read or reason. Such as read the front of the envelope, or realize, in real time, that the message inside refers to the actress already holding an Oscar...

From Academy Bylaws:

Article III, Section 1. Membership shall be by invitation of the Board of Governors. Invitations to active membership shall be limited to those persons active in the motion picture arts and sciences, or credited with screen achievements, or who have otherwise achieved distinction in the motion picture arts and sciences and who, in the opinion of the Board, are qualified for membership.

To be considered for invitation to membership in the Actors Branch of the Academy, an individual must:

(a) have a minimum of three theatrical feature film credits, in all of which the roles played were scripted roles, one of which was released in the past five years, and all of which are of a caliber that reflect the high standards of the Academy,

and/or

(b) have been nominated for an Academy Award in one of the acting categories,

or

(c) have, in the judgment of the Actors Branch Executive Committee, otherwise achieved unique distinction, earned special merit or made an outstanding contribution as a motion picture actor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
These assholes think they can fix the planet and the people on it, but you can see the clown car reality of these half wits. They can't even convey the name of a film without fucking it up.

This was no pubicity stunt. These people truly are that inept and bumbling.

They're actors, for God's sake. As has recently been pointed out, Leonardo DiCaprio is considered by himself and others as some kind of expert on global climate change. He's got a freakin' GED, Mmmky? No college of any kind. He never even graduated High School.

This is the reality of these morons, and I do mean morons. They truly are that stupid.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched X Men: Apocalypse last night on the X Box One. I have one TV with no cable or satellite. Redbox movies only as I won't pay $10 or more dollars to sit in a theater.
As for the actors and actresses? Your job is to entertain me not lecture me. Talk about whatever and whoever you want, falls on deaf ears in my case.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Report This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Video of colossal fuckup-
https://mobile.twitter.com/jef...Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Hahahahahahahahaaaaa....ahhhhhhhahahah....

Warren Beatty looked... just sad. Pulling the card of his hand, no reaction, just that stupid smile. Poor guy had no business being up there...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Report This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/sen8Tn8CBA4

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
They get paid to pretend to be someone else, it only gets so good... Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
They get paid to pretend to be someone else, it only gets so good... Roll Eyes

some of them are pretty good at it:

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Way to go Mr. Ladies Man, Warren Beatty! Way to make the lady take the hit for you!

Why on earth they read out La La Land is beyond me. They could clearly see that they had the wrong envelope. It said "Emma Stone, La La Land" and "Best Actress" underneath.

How simple would it have been to just say, "Guys I think we have the wrong envelope here!" Could have been a funny light-hearted moment. Instead, they wing it and give Best Picture to the wrong movie.

Heckuva job, Beatty!

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's karma, and there's more on the way- a shit ton of it.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Hollywood millionaires giving each other golden statues and patting each other on the back.

AND THEY STILL SCREWED IT UP!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I'm hearing some speculation that the Russians may be behind this! Wouldn't be surprised, they're everywhere these days!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I'm hearing some speculation that the Russians may be behind this! Wouldn't be surprised, they're everywhere these days!

I heard that Vlad Putin was spotted running away backstage tearing off a Warren Beatty mask...

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Article indicates viewership of the 2017 four-hour Oscar "show" was down 4% from last year: Link via Drudge "Ratings Fall Again".

That still means some 33 Million people watched the Oscars. That's ten times more than the show deserved!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
These assholes think they can fix the planet and the people on it, but you can see the clown car reality of these half wits. They can't even convey the name of a film without fucking it up.

This was no pubicity stunt. These people truly are that inept and bumbling.

They're actors, for God's sake. As has recently been pointed out, Leonardo DiCaprio is considered by himself and others as some kind of expert on global climate change. He's got a freakin' GED, Mmmky? No college of any kind. He never even graduated High School.

This is the reality of these morons, and I do mean morons. They truly are that stupid.

I quoted Truman Capote before, but maybe this is a good time for a reprise. "The better the actor, the more stupid he is."

That Warren Beatty, truly one of the greats. Big Grin

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11107 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Waiting for La La Land producers to demand a federal investigation and start raising money so they can demand a recount. Meanwhile they're burning down Starbucks and standing in intersections.

A lot of these folks need to take a lesson from Patty Duke, who probably had the best acceptance speech in history, quoted here in it's entirety:

"Thank You"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Patriot Post"

Congratulations. We've reached saturation with this stuff. I don't want to see memes from that site any more in this forum.

From this point on, I'm going to delete these memes on sight.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Don't buy it, it makes them (especially PWC) look like amateurish losers. There's no upside to that.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
hahahahahahah they read the wrong name for Best Picture.

Staged publicity stunt.

That's what I think too. They saw what it did for the pageant in terms of garnering publicity.

Which supports my point that all of the entertainment business (movies, music, and tv) has really hit a dearth of unoriginality and subsists mostly on remakes and copycats.

The guy who gave the acceptance speech moments ago and then turns around saying, "This is real. La la land won...." couldn't even act well enough to show the mixed emotions and chagrin that would have going through a winner-then-loser.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of these celebrities, if they didn't have their meals catered, would starve to death.

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Report This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dunnawy didn't look too steady coming out either.

Yeah I had to do a double take. It looked more like Hillary was stumbling out with the secret service on her arm

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
No upside if the ratings have been up which they haven't been. Oscars Ratings: Best Picture Gaffe-Stained Show Down To Nine-Year Low. Plenty of upside if there's some "controversy" generated and more interest for next time if there's a "flub."

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Don't buy it, it makes them (especially PWC) look like amateurish losers. There's no upside to that.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
hahahahahahah they read the wrong name for Best Picture.

Staged publicity stunt.

That's what I think too. They saw what it did for the pageant in terms of garnering publicity.

Which supports my point that all of the entertainment business (movies, music, and tv) has really hit a dearth of unoriginality and subsists mostly on remakes and copycats.

The guy who gave the acceptance speech moments ago and then turns around saying, "This is real. La la land won...." couldn't even act well enough to show the mixed emotions and chagrin that would have going through a winner-then-loser.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post