SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Academy Awards
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Academy Awards Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Para,

If it's not too much of a thread drift. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on what choices over the years the Academy got right, and wrong. The films that hold up as Award winners, and those that don't.

Dances with Wolves vs. Goodfellas stands out for me. (then there's Godfather III, but that's a different conversation)

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Off the top of my head, the overblown Titanic beating out L.A. Confidential for best picture.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
An LA-based "street artist" is trolling these narcissists, putting his posters up all over Hollywood. Hopefully some of them stay up long enough to be seen from the limo windows.

Story

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
Para,

If it's not too much of a thread drift. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on what choices over the years the Academy got right, and wrong. The films that hold up as Award winners, and those that don't.

Dances with Wolves vs. Goodfellas stands out for me. (then there's Godfather III, but that's a different conversation)

Tom Hanks winning for Philadelphia over Liam Neeson in Schindler's List was a bad choice in my opinion.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We've entered the "Pot Metal Age" of Hollywood.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
"Going My Way", a soapy feel good movie made during the dark days of WWII won 6 Academy Awards, including best picture, in 1944.

"Double Indemnity", a much better movie with a darker subject matter seldom discussed in public, at that time. (Wife wants BF to kill husband) Movie got nominated but received no wins.

The real kicker: Edward G. Robinson wasn't even nominated for best supporting actor. (Maybe 'cause he was Jewish?)

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
On TCM opposite the Oscars today:
"They Were Expendable" w/Robert Taylor, John Wayne
"The Thin Man" w/William Powell, Myrna Loy
"The Third Man" w/Joseph Cotten, Orson Welles
"Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" w/Spencer Tracy, Van Johnson

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Report This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Anybody remember the film that won best picture last year, or the year before that, or the year before that?
It was Spotlight, Birdman, and 12 Years A Slave, then Argo and The Artist before that. My point is they have become entirely forgettable, no lasting imapact or influence on society or even filmmaking. They are frequently small indie films, good not great, and foisted on us often for their political statement. And, if the real story behind the movie doesn't make enough of a statement, the fictionalize the hell out of it until it does.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Best Supporting Actress 1993 - Marisa Tomei in "My Cousin Vinny."

Absolutely loved it!

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Report This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
As was said recently on the Stuart Varney & Company show on Fox Business (paraphrased):

It used to be that the Oscars were entertaining and Presidential news conferences were politically boring; now the Oscars are politically boring and Presidential news conferences are entertaining.

Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Best Supporting Actress 1993 - Marisa Tomei in "My Cousin Vinny."

Absolutely loved it!

Still consider that to be one of the funniest movies I've ever watched.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Anybody remember the film that won best picture last year, or the year before that, or the year before that?
It was Spotlight, Birdman, and 12 Years A Slave, then Argo and The Artist before that. My point is they have become entirely forgettable,

Excellent points. I see a ton of movies, theatres for about a dozen a year, quite a few pay-per-view and a carload of TV offerings of yesterday back to the dawn of time.

As for your list of 'our best': Spotlight, didn't see it, Birdman,wished I hadn't. 12 years a slave, Meh, my wife wanted to see it. ARGO, like they said in the movie, argo fuck yourself, but not bad, but best? had to be a sad lot.

My point, if there is one? These politically-committed clowns neither speak for me or choose for me. And speaking of PC clowns, I have two long time friends that are members of the academy and both are total, complete GDCs, except for themselves of course. Choate, Harvard, Exeter, Dartmouth; and both would jump in a lake of fire before voting for a charter school. Just kidding of course, actually they would hire somebody to do it for them and then take the credit.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I tend to call them the "low lights", put out by low lifes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The foreign films are about the only part of the Academy Awards I find interesting at this point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Report This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Looked it up. There are 52 award shows in alliteration more then then 4 months.

This include awards shows for makeup, audio, editing.....etc.

Still, everybody gets a trophy isn't far off.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit watching when Brando pulled his Indian shit. I get better recommendations for entertainment from browsing the Lair.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We won't be watching an awards show about movies we've never seen and people we don't even recognize anymore.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
It was Spotlight, Birdman, and 12 Years A Slave, then Argo and The Artist before that. My point is they have become entirely forgettable,

Excellent points. I see a ton of movies, theatres for about a dozen a year, quite a few pay-per-view and a carload of TV offerings of yesterday back to the dawn of time.

As for your list of 'our best': Spotlight, didn't see it, Birdman,wished I hadn't. 12 years a slave, Meh, my wife wanted to see it. ARGO, like they said in the movie, argo fuck yourself, but not bad, but best? had to be a sad lot.

My point, if there is one? These politically-committed clowns neither speak for me or choose for me. And speaking of PC clowns, I have two long time friends that are members of the academy and both are total, complete GDCs, except for themselves of course. Choate, Harvard, Exeter, Dartmouth; and both would jump in a lake of fire before voting for a charter school. Just kidding of course, actually they would hire somebody to do it for them and then take the credit.

They should change the name from Oscars to The Politically Correct Oscars.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
To me Hollywood died with Duke, Jimmy Stewart, Clark Gable, that whole generation was the real Hollywood. I haven't been to the movies since my kids were small, don't even watch them on tv, don't share most of their views so I don't give them my money.

Peggy Noonan has disappointed me many times. However, her book entitled, When Character Was King really emphasizes what you have written here, dwright1951. In order for her to portray Reagan for what he really was, she must delve into the fall of Hollywood, and she does so quite eloquently.

Even when Hollywood delivered a decent product, I never held any interest in the awards. But, I believe Para's point is that it will be humorous if we read the next day about what asses these Hollywood folks make of themselves. I agree - it will be a hoot!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
On TCM opposite the Oscars today:
"They Were Expendable" w/Robert Taylor, John Wayne
"The Thin Man" w/William Powell, Myrna Loy
"The Third Man" w/Joseph Cotten, Orson Welles
"Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" w/Spencer Tracy, Van Johnson

They were Movies made in the real Hollywood. Watch them especially The Third Man everytime its on.