SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What about Ben Stein?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about Ben Stein? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I saw an article by Ben Stein this afternon. I recognize who he is, from media, but being not a movie or TV buff, I’ve not really ever paid too much attention to him.

I looked him up in Wikipedia, and ran across this, a view of Richard Nixon novel to me.

quote:
If there is such a thing as karma, if there is such a thing as justice in this life or the next, Mark Felt has bought himself the worst future of any man on this earth. And Bob Woodward is right behind him, with Ben Bradlee bringing up the rear. Out of their smug arrogance and contempt, they hatched the worst nightmare imaginable: genocide.

In 2005, Stein said in the American Spectator:

Can anyone even remember now what Nixon did that was so terrible? He ended the war in Vietnam, brought home the POWs, ended the war in the Mideast, opened relations with China, started the first nuclear weapons reduction treaty, saved Eretz Israel's life, started the Environmental Protection Agency. Does anyone remember what he did that was bad?

Oh, now I remember. He lied. He was a politician who lied. How remarkable. He lied to protect his subordinates who were covering up a ridiculous burglary that no one to this date has any clue about its purpose. He lied so he could stay in office and keep his agenda of peace going. That was his crime. He was a peacemaker and he wanted to make a world where there was a generation of peace. And he succeeded.

That is his legacy. He was a peacemaker. He was a lying, conniving, covering up peacemaker. He was not a lying, conniving drug addict like JFK, a lying, conniving war starter like LBJ, a lying, conniving seducer like Clinton—a lying, conniving peacemaker.

What else is there about this guy?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I saw an article by Ben Stein this afternon. I recognize who he is, from media, but being not a movie or TV buff, I’ve not really ever paid too much attention to him.

I looked him up in Wikipedia, and ran across this, a view of Richard Nixon novel to me.

quote:
If there is such a thing as karma, if there is such a thing as justice in this life or the next, Mark Felt has bought himself the worst future of any man on this earth. And Bob Woodward is right behind him, with Ben Bradlee bringing up the rear. Out of their smug arrogance and contempt, they hatched the worst nightmare imaginable: genocide.

In 2005, Stein said in the American Spectator:

Can anyone even remember now what Nixon did that was so terrible? He ended the war in Vietnam, brought home the POWs, ended the war in the Mideast, opened relations with China, started the first nuclear weapons reduction treaty, saved Eretz Israel's life, started the Environmental Protection Agency. Does anyone remember what he did that was bad?

Oh, now I remember. He lied. He was a politician who lied. How remarkable. He lied to protect his subordinates who were covering up a ridiculous burglary that no one to this date has any clue about its purpose. He lied so he could stay in office and keep his agenda of peace going. That was his crime. He was a peacemaker and he wanted to make a world where there was a generation of peace. And he succeeded.

That is his legacy. He was a peacemaker. He was a lying, conniving, covering up peacemaker. He was not a lying, conniving drug addict like JFK, a lying, conniving war starter like LBJ, a lying, conniving seducer like Clinton—a lying, conniving peacemaker.

What else is there about this guy?

Bueller?...Bueller?...

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
He's a pretty sharp political and economics commentator. Not quite to the level of James Wood's tweets, but not far behind. He did some acting too.

Apparently the exposure to the Hollywood types did not fry his conservative fuse.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
He is quite wealthy, and often talks about $$$s mgmt. I think he had a head start from his folks. Lives in Sandpoint, ID.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget game show host. Win Ben Stein's Money

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:

Great show. Very Smart guy.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
He's a pretty sharp political and economics commentator. Not quite to the level of James Wood's tweets, but not far behind. He did some acting too.

Apparently the exposure to the Hollywood types did not fry his conservative fuse.

RMD

Ben Stein is the real deal who happened to do a little acting. He is a lawyer (Yale), and has an economics undergrad degree from Columbia. (While there isn't much that is more worthless than an undergrad econ degree, he has some knowledge.) He started as a speech writer for Nixon, and then went into entertainment and commenting. He is a geniunely smart guy.

Woods is smart, but he is more an actor who does a little political commenting.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:

Or the Clear Eyes commercials.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcH-3d-BZn4

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah yeah, Stein. He is ok.

But Nixon did start the EPA, so that is far worse than hiding some petty B&E.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
His dad, Herb Stein, a respected economist. Ben also writes for the American Spectator. He's no longer enamored with Jimmy Kimmel who he helped bring into public view via Ben Stein's Money.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:

IIRC, he also took us off the Gold Standard.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:

IIRC, he also took us off the Gold Standard.

Nixon, you mean.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

RMD

Ben Stein is the real deal who happened to do a little acting. He is a lawyer (Yale), and has an economics undergrad degree from Columbia. (While there isn't much that is more worthless than an undergrad econ degree, he has some knowledge.) He started as a speech writer for Nixon, and then went into entertainment and commenting. He is a geniunely smart guy.

Woods is smart, but he is more an actor who does a little political commenting.

It turns out his dad was Herbert Stein, Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors under Nixon and Ford.

He seems to have gotten some recent attention because a Dodger pitcher is named “Buehler.” I guess we have that to look forward to next week.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He's a brilliant man, well-trained in economics and law(Class Valedictorian at Yale). Stein has an Ivy league education, but escaped indoctrination.

His film "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed" is a delightful, humorous documentary, filmed in the understated manner of his marksman-like, dry wit.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
While there isn't much that is more worthless than an undergrad econ degree

Hey! Did I say anything about law degrees???.....

If you had qualified it as an Econ degree from COLUMBIA, well then, I have no beef.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
While there isn't much that is more worthless than an undergrad econ degree

Hey! Did I say anything about law degrees???.....

If you had qualified it as an Econ degree from COLUMBIA, well then, I have no beef.

His dad was Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors. Isn’t that pretty much the top job for economists? At least help with homework?

posted Hide Post

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He doesn’t believe that you or I need an AR-15. He said so on a Fox News commentary after the Florida school shooting.
So I’d say he a frickin’ idiot.
Don’t judge a man by his degrees.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've only known one professional Economist, as far as I know, and he was eventually the Treasurer for an entire (small) country (his signature is even on the paper money from that era, which is pretty damn cool, IMO). I'd always considered it a purely academic pursuit.

Apparently one in a zillion of them go on to have interesting jobs.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post