SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Haircut???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haircut??? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I use a Flowbee ... yes, a Flowbee. It vacuums the hair as I go along. Never a mess to clean up. I also have a Wahl Peanut (clippers) for around the edges. Been cutting my own hair for about 25yrs or so now.

Taken night before last when I last trimmed myself up (I'm 67 this year) ...

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
That’s some fine work Hobbs. You’ve got a talent for it.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just let your freak flag fly...

Posts: 107579 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A word of advice. The first time out, use a much "longer" guard than you think the final cut should be. whanson_wi was too optimistic the first time he did a home-brew haircut. Don't be whanson_wi.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
#2 guard, DIY, no problem. I do it when my wig splitter is on vacay.

+1 (or 1000, as the case may be).

And another.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
I run my clippers with a 1 guard once a week. Love the feeling and the freedom. Since my hair is receding and thinning, it simply works for me and I can get on with my day.

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
My fire department is having a hairdresser come in on April 18 to give a haircut to any member who wants one.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
Yah, I am starting to look like David Crosby from Crosby Stills & Nash. And not the young version either.

Alex, I'll take music from the 60s and 70s for $2000 please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVsbqVJLFow

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been doing my own for a while now. Seems fine and if you mess up you can always just buzz it. $20 trimmers been going strong for years and it does myself and the kids. 1 on the sides and a 5 on top keeps the shaggy at bay for me.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Buy yourself some clippers and buzz it off.
There's a lot of barbers that went mobile and will do house calls. Check your Craigslist.

Those laws vary from state to state. In some states it is illegal.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recieved my cordless clippers from Amazon last Friday, watched a couple of you-tube tutorials and did the deed. My wife and I were totally surprised how well it turned out! Kinda fun. Can't wait for it to grow enough to trim it again.

Posts: 42 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: July 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
My wife, two older kids (the third's a baby), and I all got hair cuts right before the closures started, so we haven't needed any people cuts yet.

I did buy a clipper and shave our three dogs, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wahl cordless with #2 all around. No hair left anyways

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Wahl clippers. Cut my own hair all through college and revived the tradition last week...

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Just let your freak flag fly...

That was great Para, gave me a good laugh as I listened and saw myself in the mirror. Big Grin

That would make the perfect 10 year cut, please and thank you.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I cut my own about once a month with my Wahl clippers, no guard. Down to the white meat. Been doing it that way for years.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have both a Wahl #MC hair trimmer as well as a pair of Wahl #9879 beard trimmers.

For the hair trimmer I have #1,#1.5,#2,#4,and #6 guides. I normally use the #4 on my beard with the #9879's adjustable comb guide handling detail work. For my bald head the #2 and #1.5 work well for the hair left above the ears and around to the back of the neck.

Old fashioned brush, shaving cream, and injector razor are used to clean up the edges around the ears, neck, check, and throat areas.

Been doing this for as long as I can remember. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Got an Andis from Petco. The #5 is great for what I have left of hair and the #7 does a nice goatee trim. I have the blades, not the comb. Haven't needed a barber in 15 years

Posts: 4018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Buy yourself some clippers and buzz it off.

There's a lot of barbers that went mobile and will do house calls. Check your Craigslist.
. I was using that barber to your home , my case was the farm. That got a cease and desist when my wife saw “Heather” the barber.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i cut my own hair / head shave daily, every morning with a schick st2 disposable, which lasts a month, and a 12 pack lasts more than a year.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post