SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Haircut???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haircut??? Login/Join 
posted
Damn, I'm starting to look like Bigfoot.
Wife says they are recommending shaving to reduce catching airborne crap.
Figure the guys can't cut my hair from six feet away.
Guess I'm the old vulnerable group they talk about.
Maybe if I get it cut, it will be easier to get all those tubes in me?

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The only thing I have really seen about shaving is mostly aimed at medical personnel. A beard (or large moustache, or really any facial hair besides very light stubble) keeps you from being able to get a good seal with an N95 mask. Kind of the same reason the military generally prohibits beards (religious exceptions not withstanding) - you want the sarin or whatever to stay on the outside of the gas mask.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Buy yourself some clippers and buzz it off.

There's a lot of barbers that went mobile and will do house calls. Check your Craigslist.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I bought this corded vacuum clipper set from Amazon to cut my own hair. The vacuum gets 90-95% of the clippings and the kit has a lot of guard lengths. It's a tad bigger than a regular clipper but still very functional.

I've used it once and am pleased.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FLOWBEE!
I remember the ads for those.

Posts: 1659 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

I bought this corded vacuum clipper set from Amazon to cut my own hair. The vacuum gets 90-95% of the clippings and the kit has a lot of guard lengths. It's a tad bigger than a regular clipper but still very functional.

I've used it once and am pleased.
Looks good, but "Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

#2 guard, DIY, no problem. I do it when my wig splitter is on vacay.

This scene reminds me of this with barbershops closed, hair salons closed, nail places closed for the ladies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCuBMT4RVc

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
We have an electric clipper for the dog and my wife used it to cut my hair Saturday (after youtube video training). Looks pretty good and saved us $25!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

#2 guard, DIY, no problem. I do it when my wig splitter is on vacay.

This scene reminds me of this with barbershops closed, hair salons closed, nail places closed for the ladies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCuBMT4RVc

My wife has been cutting my hair with a #2 guard for many years now. Its saved us many hundreds of dollars over the years.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
+1 more for the #2 buzz cut, haven't done it yet but won't hesitate when I need to. My barber will be happy to have me back when the time comes and my hair grows out so fast that if my GF messes it up, in a couple days she can get a do-over.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
wifey has cut my hair for better than 13 yrs now, it started as a way to save money cause where I worked either a hairnet or no hair was required. We wintered in Fl. and the cheapest place was $25 +tip.went to wallyworld and bought a clipper for $16.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
+1 more for the #2 buzz cut, haven't done it yet but won't hesitate when I need to. My barber will be happy to have me back when the time comes and my hair grows out so fast that if my GF messes it up, in a couple days she can get a do-over.

My girlfriend shaved the sides and back of my hair last night, as the top isn't terribly long. I handed her the shaver guard and it was a #1. Woops, I kind of look like the guy from the 3 stooges now.....So I am thinking of having her do the top in a #3.....UUUUUGGGHHH

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of getting clippers too. My 7&5 year old sons are getting a bit shaggy. My own head has just enough hair that I still have to attempt so kind of combing and after 2 months of no haircut it now looks pretty shitty. I may have to give myself a #1 guard buzz.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
I'm in this for the Einstein hair!

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife does mine, though while I've been out on disability she gifted me a cut at a men's only salon of a place in the Big City for before I go back to work. Of course they're closed, so she's back at it.

She also wanted me to get a manicure and pedicure; I guess I'm secure enough in my masculinity for that.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
wifey has cut my hair for better than 13 yrs now, it started as a way to save money cause where I worked either a hairnet or no hair was required. We wintered in Fl. and the cheapest place was $25 +tip.went to wallyworld and bought a clipper for $16.

Same here but for 30 yrs. the only downside is that if I’ve pissedheroff, I have to be woolly until she’s over it. So I behave well in anticipation. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I paid about $120 for a Flowbee years ago, whole family laughed. I bet I've saved around a grand in $$, not to mention time waiting and annoyance with the process.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been cutting my hair since I was in College, sometime around 1974. IT took me about 3 years before I got good enough that I didn't look like Mo from the 3 stooges and now I do a very decent haircut. I would bet over the years I've saved enough to pay for both of my Beretta 686's, my Browning Citori, and both my 870 and BPS.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
In the winter time, I get my hair cut and wear it longer. During the summer I cut it myself. I cut my hair yesterday with a #1 guard because it was so bad. When I would ride with th a windows down, I ended up looking like I had a raccoon on top of my head.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post