SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So, my Samsung TV can spy on me.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, my Samsung TV can spy on me. Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Please help me understand how?

I know that a speaker can be driven as a microphone, but wouldn't this require specialized circuitry to function as a sound collection device? I can't imagine the quality would be very good either.

Help me understand how this might work.

I should say that I truly don't give a damn, but the technicals interest me.

I understand the "fake off" situation and the internet connection thing, but the sound detection process leaves me in the dark.

Thanks,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Please help me understand how?

I know that a speaker can be driven as a microphone, but wouldn't this require specialized circuitry to function as a sound collection device? I can't imagine the quality would be very good either.

Help me understand how this might work.

I should say that I truly don't give a damn, but the technicals interest me.

I understand the "fake off" situation and the internet connection thing, but the sound detection process leaves me in the dark.

Thanks,

RMD

The specific tv sets in question had a voice control feature. The hack, which must be loaded using a USB drive onto the TV's firmware, would leave the voice control microphone on, and dim the screen and front panel led indicator lights.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is all they'd see at my house...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29693 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't think mine has the voice control option. Besides, I would bore the NSA/CIA to death.

Thanks.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, they sure as hell know what I think of the Clintons, the election, Obozo and his gang.

Spying rat bastards!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Yeah, I don't think mine has the voice control option. Besides, I would bore the NSA/CIA to death.

Thanks.

RMD

It's three specific models from like 2012/2013 I think. From the way it must deployed, the CIA probably developed it with a specific target in mind.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kinda think the deep state would be out to get me.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My Samsung is fairly new and the box said Smart TV, so I guess it is tracking everything we say.

Trump would be happy, but Obama and Hillary...not so much.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
BTW, no sophisticated eavesdropping is required when people post personal information mindlessly on social media.

Thanks to YOU "they" know what you drive, what you wear, what you eat and drink, YOU provide pictures for facial recognition including all of the members of your family and friends, what your house looks like on the inside and outside, when and where you go on vacation, where you work and your long hours, etc…

...And “you" update it several times a day for them.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post