SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Those with Astigmatism causing issues with red dot sights, anyone had luck with PRK? (Edited)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those with Astigmatism causing issues with red dot sights, anyone had luck with PRK? (Edited) Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I did want to add one thing. If the rifle or pistol you mount the sight on happens to have a peep rear sight, I find that if I look through the peep sight when looking at a red dot or holo sight that co-witnesses, the dot or reticle becomes focused and I can see it sharply as intended. I can only assume that the peep somehow allows the light coming to your eye through the peep to focus differently or maybe it is the restriction of extra light and brightness that causes it to be able to focus sharply in your eye, regardless of the astigmatism, similar to turning the sight brightness really low. I can technically still use a red dot or holo sight in a close range situation for defensive purposes even if it looks blurry, just not for absolute pinpoint accuracy purposes. I'm looking forward to seeing what my test results and options end up being. I'll post again after my visit on Friday.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Just got out of the eye doctors office. Dilated eyes suck. I still have 20/20 vision, but my diopter is .5(not 100% what most of his explanation means though). But he said I have a faint clouding in both eyes plus a higher order aberration problem. Not astigmatism, but a vertical streaking effect, I forget the name. He offered a wave scan if I do a follow up to map it and see if it’s fixable if I want. But he suggested that since I have good vision otherwise that I try glasses for shooting. He said he was more worried about waiting to see if the clouding got worse. So I may have to learn to live with this. Will see.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Well, after over 4 decades of no corrective lenses, I have glasses on order to arrive in 5 to 7 days. I agree about the dilated eyes! I explained everything that was going on including with shooting optics and he was very thorough with the exam and even double checked the prescription and made a final minor adjustment to the script so I could place the order and get accurate results. My glasses are going to correct for astigmatism in both eyes and a -1 diopter in my right eye. Otherwise, my eyes are actually pretty healthy. My sight is still 20/20 in my left eye but gets a little fuzzy up close and the astigmatism. My right eye is in the 20/25 to 20/30 range at a distance but focuses sharply up close and the astigmatism. I won't have to wear the glasses all the time but I'll be using them frequently to enjoy a better, sharper image for sure. I opted for the Crizal Sapphire lenses with Transitions Signature photochromatic darkening included as well so they are clear indoors and at night, and automatically darken outdoors during the day depending on the level of UV / light. I figure your eyes are not something you want to skimp on and I have good insurance too so between the gray Nike hybrid frames (polymer legs with full surround metal lens frames) and the lenses, I am getting what are essentially $625 glasses for $225. The Nike frames look really nice (my wife approved) and they feel like they were custom made for my face they fit so well (yes they took pupil measurements). Wanted something sporty but elegant. I'm really curious to see how my next range visit will go while using them and just using them in general.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dtech,

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention the doc said my eyes were dry and suggested I try fake tears. I tried today and it made the blooming a lot better.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I use my computer glasses to eliminate the halo with red dots. The focal point is very close at the front sight of a pistol. Left eye dominant, right handed, right eye astigmatism.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post