SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sig Sauer gun ranges closed after bullets found to be falling on Route 101
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Sauer gun ranges closed after bullets found to be falling on Route 101 Login/Join 
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted June 26, 2017 09:41 PMHide PostI'm confused. The bullet that penetrated her window didn't come from SIG Academy,

The article was a big confusing. The bullet is said to come from the range. At the time it was not fired but was probably on the roadway and thrown up as standard debris.

The thinking is that the steel targets, when falling can cause a skip and up and over the berm. since the day this happened the Academy started taking steps to prevent it from occurring in the future but constructing barriers over some areas facing 101.

They have sufficient ranges that don't face towards 101 to keep the operations going full bore.

New style steel that falls forward and not back is becoming popular and prevents this. Sig is not the only area clue that has had this type of issue.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I'm not saying it was fired from the Sig range, but I'm very skeptical of the "kicked up" theory. Has anyone here ever seen windshield penetration from a small "kicked up" object? I've seen and had windshield cracks and chips, but I've never seen or even heard of a small object penetrating a windshield.

Yes, I've had a small (nickel diameter) rock get tossed through a windshield. Was behind a dually pickup when it happened.
While I don't think it's a common occurrence, I do believe it could happen.
Do I think it's overreacting to shut the ranges down, probably, but better to temp shut some of the ranges, than to piss off the neighbors and get the whole place under attack.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bullets are by design a lot denser than rocks, so I can see one being kicked up and breaking a windshield.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How far is it from the range to the road?

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
maybe someone who has been there can clarify, but when I look at the google earth view of
233 Exeter Rd, Epping, NH 03042
it appears that the range is such that they shoot away from the hiway.

am I correct?

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like two ranges shoot ESE (nearly due east) and the other one on the west side of the property goes WNW. Both are parallel to Highway 101.

I have no idea how the round could have come from Sig property.

Review my earlier post on Page 1 of this thread ...
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...410093624#3410093624

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Also, on Bay 3 over at Area 51, they normally have AR500 steel targets at the east end of that 100 yard range. It's possible a frag or round spun off one of the steel targets, flipped over into the road and eventually got kicked up at the windshield.

Maybe this will help, it's a PDF of the current range layout. Note that SOUTH is up in this PDF.

https://www.sigsaueracademy.co.../sig-academy-map.pdf

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That picture of the bullet in the article sure doesn't look like a bullet that just came out of a gun. I've dug freshly fired bullets out of the dirt that were shiny after rubbing the dirt off. The bullet in the picture looks like it's been lying on the ground for a while and corroded abit.

Posts: 143 | Location: San Diego, California | Registered: May 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
That's a nasty bullet, I say BS

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a range here on the other side of town in the country.
A neighbor complained that he had bullet holes in his roof. Yeah, his roof. It just so happened he needed a new roof. The range has been in that location and they have had a range shooting in that direction, since the late 60s, with no complaints.
So, the range made the owner sign a paper, but the range paid for a new roof. They also raised the height of the berm. Most officials of the club believe it was bull.
No saying this thing is...but it could be true or it could be false.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot there many, many times over the years, including on the 1000yd range. Area 51 is new. They are extraordinarily safety conscious, so I'm confident that if there is a real issue, they will get it sorted out.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted June 27, 2017 09:25 PM Hide Post
That picture of the bullet in the article sure doesn't look like a bullet that just came out of a gun.

It looks like something a kid would pick up and drop on the floor. So dirty I can not see any rifling marks. Also no impact disfiguration.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
We have a range here on the other side of town in the country.
A neighbor complained that he had bullet holes in his roof. Yeah, his roof. It just so happened he needed a new roof. The range has been in that location and they have had a range shooting in that direction, since the late 60s, with no complaints.
So, the range made the owner sign a paper, but the range paid for a new roof. They also raised the height of the berm. Most officials of the club believe it was bull.
No saying this thing is...but it could be true or it could be false.

In the nineties, our range had several claims from neighbors claiming rounds from our outdoor rifle range were hitting their houses. The club was formed after WW II and there were no houses in the vicinity at the time.

Houses were subsequently built. The developer never provided buyers with info about the club and range in their vicinity. Several unsuccessful attempts to shut down the club due to noise were initiated by some "neighbors" over the years. All failed. At some point the escaping bullet issue arose. Each one investigated by club officers appeared to be a specious claim. Police were called several times but came to same conclusion as we did. Eventually the B.S. stopped.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but it's always a possibility if the details of the claim don't make sense. We'll see if the woman in question ends up suing SigSauer, the township, the county and the state. Also, tort lawyers usually prefer some type of official police report lending credence to the alleged incident. We'll see.

If there was a publicly known history of inert bullets on/near the location, it's possible somebody could use the fact to finagle some money out of it. Again, I'm not accusing the woman, just bringing up one possibility.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was running a range and got hit, very low speed, by a 40 cal round off of a steel plate. I thought it was neat and picked it up and it was shiny. In fact all the bullets I've ever seen recovered anywhere near fresh were shiny.

I think at best an errant bullet lay on the highway for quite a long time before being scooped up by a tire and tossed. Especially if the windshield was already cracked its quite possible it could go through but I'd be shocked to find out the bullet in that picture was launched from a gun into her windshield. Ive personally gone to atleast 4 "somebody randomly shot my car" calls in the last few years and have yet to find someone who was actually shot at.

Also I guess Sig can now plug their V crowns as great for windshield penetration. Razz

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post