SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Philando Castile case - Officer "not guilty". Protesters....blocking traffic...again.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Philando Castile case - Officer "not guilty". Protesters....blocking traffic...again. Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
This is getting national attention.

Based on everything I have been able to read/listen to I think the officer will be exonerated.

The sister of the 'victim' (Diamond Reynolds) has been decimated on cross examination and shown to be a complete liar.

This part of the trial is very important:

http://www.startribune.com/jon...umstances/427684673/

Yanez’s testimony is that he ordered Castile three times not to pull out a gun. Both Castile and his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, responded that he wasn’t pulling out a gun, then he was shot. The disagreement over this point took seconds but will last forever.

The jury will need to consider some numbers that are mind-boggling:

• 265,728 — that’s how many Minnesotans have a permit to carry a gun, a statistic that must be considered by officers, along with those who are carrying illegally, when they make a traffic stop.

• One-third of 1 second — the time it takes to pull a Diamondback FS 9mm handgun from a pair of Polo Ralph Lauren shorts and shoot someone.

• Three-fourths of 1 second — the brain’s lag time after an action.

• 7 — the number of shots fired into Castile in two seconds.

• 5 — the number of seconds that passed between the moment Yanez shouted “don’t” at Castile and the point when Yanez started shooting.

The jury heard terms that are important in how they will think about this case. They heard about “furtive moments,” the very time that an officer thinks things are going sideways. They heard a lot about “pre-practice plans,” the need for officers to think ahead to the possibility of what could happen in an incident and think it through. They also heard about “cooperative disadvantage,” when a person appears to be friendly in order to lower an officer’s guard.

The "victim" had a permit to carry but did not acknowledge that, even though his lying ass sister said that he did. He told the officer "I have a gun...." Permit to Carry Class 101 in Minnesota is this phrase, "I have a permit to carry, and am carrying right now. "IT" is located X, how do you want to proceed?"

It's going to be another long summer in Minnesota of blocked roads for "justice", I fear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
http://www.startribune.com/jur...-question/428190153/

Jurors deliberating whether officer Jeronimo Yanez was justified in fatally shooting Philando Castile reconvened to watch squad car dashcam video and Facebook live video of the aftermath.

Both videos were replayed in open court Tuesday morning after jurors submitted a request, less than half an hour after into the day, for the videos.

Jurors also requested transcripts of the dashcam video and an interview Yanez gave to Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigators after the shooting. Judge William Leary III denied both requests.

Prosecutors have highlighted the BCA interview as proof that Yanez never saw a gun, noting his frequent use of the pronoun "it." However, they never played the hourlong interview in court during their case. Prosecutors tried to play it Friday during the defense's case, but the Leary denied the move after an objection from defense attorney Thomas Kelly.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
The sister of the 'victim' (Diamond Reynolds) has been decimated on cross examination and shown to be a complete liar.

I believe "Diamond" is girlfriend/baby mama, not sister. She's a piece of work. From what I've read, there really isn't hard evidence to support either story, so it will come down to credibility. IMO: She is lacking in that quality.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
He told the officer "I have a gun...." Permit to Carry Class 101 in Minnesota is this phrase, "I have a permit to carry, and am carrying right now. "IT" is located X, how do you want to proceed?"

In addition to the above phrase, the classes I took from different organizations also commented on never using the word "gun". They were very clear on making sure that you, as a permit holder, keep your hands on the wheel and not make any sudden movements.

quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
She's a piece of work. From what I've read, there really isn't hard evidence to support either story, so it will come down to credibility. IMO: She is lacking in that quality.

Agreed.

It's going to be a long summer.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Serious question:

If a driver in a traffic stop quickly reaches for his pocket ( no mention of gun) would an officer be justified in firing immediately or would they generally need to see it, have it pointed in their direction, etc?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Diamond Reynolds, the GF of the driver, was just arrested in a felony hammer attack:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8500025024

I can see why she would be a poor witness.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Diamond Reynolds, the GF of the driver, was just arrested in a felony hammer attack:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8500025024

I can see why she would be a poor witness.

She was arrested March 3rd, but I agree she'd make a poor witness.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Jury is in.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would be expecting some protests to be firing up.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Officer "not guilty" all counts.

http://m.startribune.com/fifth...8862473/?section=%2F

Congrats officer.

Going to get ugly here - head on a swivel.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Officer "not guilty" all counts.

Going to get ugly here - head on a swivel.

They should have scheduled the trial in January.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Are a lot of people even paying attention to this?

I really, really hope we don't see the same nonsense that is typical after verdicts like this. I really do.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I still have some curiosity concerning whether or not the killed guy was a distant relative. "Castile" is one of several variants of my surname and our greater family is quite extensive. I would prefer not to be related, even distantly. (The first name of "Philando" does give me hope--most of my relations have more Anglo names.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I really, really hope we don't see the same nonsense that is typical after verdicts like this. I really do.

I hope we don't see that, but based on previous behavior, I'm not holding my breath. Going to be an interesting weekend.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Report This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Ohh, joy. Yet another week of blocking mass transit, rioting, and all manner of unfriendliness. I'm just going to lock my doors and stay inside for the next week.

H&K-Guy

posted Hide Post
Not surprised with the verdict. I still think it was a bad shoot, but not criminally bad.

Going to the cities next week to visit my brother. Hope to local dissidents aren't rioting anywhere near where I'm going.

I'm a deplorable.

Posts: 671 | Location: Fargo ND | Registered: January 09, 2011Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to get audio from the mom's press conference. She "forgets" to mention while she is preaching what her baby would never do, that her baby was high on dope and his judgment was impaired.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skalls:
Not surprised with the verdict. I still think it was a bad shoot, but not criminally bad.

Going to the cities next week to visit my brother. Hope to local dissidents aren't rioting anywhere near where I'm going.

Agree. And so does the department, officer was fired today.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
Minnesotans better keep their powder dry. The savages will be out in full force soon.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Report This Post