SIGforum
Philando Castile case - Officer "not guilty". Protesters....blocking traffic...again.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2970066524

June 16, 2017, 07:04 PM
MNSIG
Philando Castile case - Officer "not guilty". Protesters....blocking traffic...again.
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
Minnesotans better keep their powder dry. The savages will be out in full force soon.

Definitely not a good time to be exploring the downtown areas of Minneapolis/St Paul or the site of the shooting after dark for the next few weeks.
June 16, 2017, 07:44 PM
Black92LX
And they immediately fired him!!
Or as they put it offered a voluntary separation package. No details of the package. I would take no less than 5 million and paid healthcare for the family.

https://bluelivesmatter.blue/o...ez-fired-st-anthony/

Next up, Ray Tensing in Cincinnati. Verdict will be next week on that.
Already had 1 hung jury.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
June 16, 2017, 08:58 PM
NerdRage80
I'm seriously waiting for the city to explode......any BLM demonstrations "scheduled"?
June 16, 2017, 09:46 PM
jsbcody
quote:
Next up, Ray Tensing in Cincinnati. Verdict will be next week on that.
Already had 1 hung jury.

You also have the one in Milwaukee finishing up.
June 16, 2017, 10:31 PM
ShouldBFishin
They're now blocking I-94 in both directions...
June 16, 2017, 10:41 PM
dusty3030
Just when I take my AK out of my trunk,
I have to put it back in!
June 16, 2017, 11:15 PM
Ronin1069
Shit is getting ugly. Riot police are warning protesters who have BLOCKED 94 East/West in St. Paul.

What is funny is that the Iron Maiden concert is about to get out just a mile away...yeah, fired up Maiden fans are the type who will cooperate with these idiots.

I cannot even imagine how fucking pissed I would be if I came out of that show and found 94 to be blocked.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
June 16, 2017, 11:27 PM
Ronin1069
ALways interesting to me that protests like this have significantly more white paid protesters than black.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
June 17, 2017, 10:17 AM
bendable
its going to be interesting to see Mas Ayoob's coverage of this shooting.

So who will they sue to get 3 million dollars?

if anyone has an actual website that details the facts as the jury heard them , I'd be interested in the link

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
June 17, 2017, 02:13 PM
Marlin Fan
Glad the officer was found not guilty.
June 17, 2017, 02:19 PM
ChicagoSigMan
I agree with the verdict - he made a mistake but it didn't amount to criminal behavior. I also agree with the firing. At the end of the day, it was poor judgment and it cost someone his life. I wouldn't want him on my police force.
June 17, 2017, 03:29 PM
AirmanJeff
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I agree with the verdict - he made a mistake but it didn't amount to criminal behavior. I also agree with the firing. At the end of the day, it was poor judgment and it cost someone his life. I wouldn't want him on my police force.

This sums up my thoughts perfectly.
June 17, 2017, 03:32 PM
Balzé Halzé
quote:

I can't square a statement like this. So most of us believe that this was a bad shoot (I certainly do), but the officer (former officer) doesn't deserve some type of punishment, especially when that mistake costs a man his life?

This officer does not have the temperament to be in a uniform, and I just thank god it wasn't me who he pulled over that day. Has this former officer ever encountered a lawful concealed carry holder before while on duty? How did he react in that case if he did? I'd be curious to that.

As a fellow CCW holder, I believe he belongs in jail. But that's just my opinion. Obviously the jury saw evidence that made them believe the contrary.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
June 17, 2017, 05:29 PM
BBMW
These cases always go to motive. I can believe Yanez did believe his life was in danger (even if he was factually incorrect), and Castile actually had a gun. That's all that's necessary for a acquittal in this type of case. I've seen worse police shooting get acquittals. Remember the Amadou Diallo case in NYC? He was shot for pulling out his wallet. At least here there was no question the deceased had a gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I can't square a statement like this. So most of us believe that this was a bad shoot (I certainly do), but the officer (former officer) doesn't deserve some type of punishment, especially when that mistake costs a man his life?

This officer does not have the temperament to be in a uniform, and I just thank god it wasn't me who he pulled over that day. Has this former officer ever encountered a lawful concealed carry holder before while on duty? How did he react in that case if he did? I'd be curious to that.

As a fellow CCW holder, I believe he belongs in jail. But that's just my opinion. Obviously the jury saw evidence that made them believe the contrary.

June 17, 2017, 05:38 PM
Balzé Halzé
Yes, my understanding is that the law favored Yanez in this case. By the rule of law then, this was the correct verdict.

Unlike other cases though, this acquittal doesn't exactly make me want to celebrate it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
June 17, 2017, 05:45 PM
Edmond
And I'll bet Yanez was the most qualified guy they hired out of his group, too. Roll Eyes

June 17, 2017, 07:32 PM
dgb2324
quote:
Originally posted by NerdRage80:
I'm seriously waiting for the city to explode......any BLM demonstrations "scheduled"?

They are currently downtown now.
June 17, 2017, 07:38 PM
MikeNH
They really need to do something to reign in the thugs that do these "marches". Blocking traffic and burning buildings is criminal. Riot police should just take one of those armored trucks and smash these turds.
June 17, 2017, 07:38 PM
dgb2324
I just caught up on everything in the thread.

Glad to see some of you are comfortable calling good and bad behavior from the comforts of the keyboard after reading newspaper articles on the circumstances.

A jury of his peers found him "not guilty". Just food for thought the people who had the accurate accounts and testimony.
June 18, 2017, 01:10 PM
bendable
are the days of shoot, no shoot practice scenarios , long gone for police officers?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first