SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vintage fountain pens at lower prices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage fountain pens at lower prices? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I've always wanted a classic fountain pen. New Parker Duofolds are just far more than I would ever spend though. Can a good vintage pen be had for under $100 that won't leak and doesn't need to be worked on? Any tips as to what to look for or avoid?

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Eversharp.
The everyman's pen.

Hell, Lemme look around. I MAY have one to send you. Smile

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oz- where in Se-Michigan are you at? I am in Ann Arbor, please email me, I might have something for you. My email is in my profile

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I certainly appreciate the generous thoughts but I really would feel bad about accepting such a nice item.

I think the Eversharp Skyline maybe exactly what I was looking for. They seem to go for $50 on EBay in what is advertised as good condition. I like the idea of them being made in the 40s.

How hard is it to replace an ink sack? Any other likely issues?

I am about as Far East in the state as you can get, over in St Clair Co.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I hunted for one last night
It's here somewhere
No, when I find it,it's yours, SF sends me so many nice things
It's blue and Art Deco looking

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ Mama mia, what a place, this SigForum! Wink

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I'm still hunting for it!
When I find it I'll shoot you an e-mail.
I had it when we packed up and moved to the farm and I never used it after than.

posted Hide Post
plenty of good new fountain pens for under $100.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
As a fountain pen enthusiast, let me recommend a nice NEW pen over a vintage piece.

Many vintage pens are slightly more complex than newer pens. They may have breather tubes that can rot, break, or clog. Many of them are not as easy to disassemble as new pens as well.

I have a vintage Parker 51 that cost me about $75. Then the breather tube broke, and I had to send it away for rebuild which cost me another $50.

I have several Monteverde pens that were brand new, trouble-free for $90-ish. They are really nice pens. They use a common cartridge or converter system to hold the ink, and are ridiculously easy to maintain.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post