SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US Navy F-18E shoots down Syrian SU-22, good kill. :D
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Navy F-18E shoots down Syrian SU-22, good kill. :D Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted
http://www.military.com/daily-...su22-over-syria.html

"A U.S. Navy F/A-18E Super Hornet shot down a Syrian Su-22 on Sunday after the Soviet-era fighter-bomber dropped munitions near U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces fighters, U.S. Central Command officials confirmed.

The strike was believed to be the U.S. military's first air-to-air kill involving manned aircraft in years. The last known such instance was when a U.S. Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon shot down a Serbian MiG-29 in 1999 during the Kosovo campaign.

"A Syrian regime SU-22 dropped bombs near SDF fighters south of Tabqah and, in accordance with rules of engagement and in collective self-defense of Coalition partnered forces, was immediately shot down by a U.S. F/A-18E Super Hornet," the command said in a release."

Pilot won the lottery, fortune and glory brother!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody's buying the beer tonight!

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!!! Good for them!

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SHIT HOT!!!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sweet - a victory

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Yee haaww.... Jester's dead!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Wonder how a Super Hornet would fare mano a mano with an SU27 or SU 35?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Wonder how a Super Hornet would fare mano a mano with an SU27 or SU 35?

Probably pretty well... though I prefer not to find out.
I do know they "game plan" against the best the Russians have.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Druge reported that it shot down the Syrian for the first time

one would hope that if you're shot down, the airplane probably can't fly again

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Druge reported that it shot down the Syrian for the first time

one would hope that if you're shot down, the airplane probably can't fly again

Snoopy got shot down a lot...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sierra Hotel.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sweet. That guy definitely won the filter pilot lotto.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Much like when I get frustrated with news reports of gun crimes and mass shootings where they're very vague about the weapon used, I wish they listed whether it was a Sidewinder or AMRAAM or gun kill or whatever. It's my love for details in storytelling.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Stephen W. Thompson smiles.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An F-18E against Su-22s? That's like clubbing baby seals.

On August 19, 1981, two F-14As shot down two Libyan Su-22s with Sidewinder missiles, after the Su-22s fired first. I'll venture a guess that this recent shootdown was done with an AIM-120 AMRAAM.

Against an Su-27 or Su-35 it would depend on weapons loadout, the brain controlling the hand holding the stick, and situational awareness.

In the 1991 Gulf War, a USN F-18C was shot down by a MiG-25 firing a Vympel R40 (AA-6 Acrid) missile, probably from beyond visual range. The pilot may not have realized he was being targeted.

The R-27 (AA-10 Alamo) series comes with various seekers and is carried by the Su-27/Su-35. Variants of this missile have ranges that rival that of the AIM-120 variants.

The F-18E has reduced radar signature, but the Su-27 has a more powerful radar, in terms of raw power. The F-18E radar system probably provides better situation awareness, within its effective range. The Su-27 has infrared search and track (IRST) as standard equipment, while the F-18E's IRST will reach initial operational capability in 2018.

If the F-18E somehow got to the merge with an Su-27/Su-35, things could get really interesting. They both have helmet mounted sights and high off-boresight missiles. The F-18 is known for superb low-speed handling, but the Su-27 is no slouch in that part of the envelope, either. In most configurations, the Su-27 would have a higher thrust-to-weight ratio.

My best guess: The BVR fight goes to the fighter that detects the other first, and/or the fighter that's packing a larger number of longer-range missiles. If they detect each other, or enter weapon employment zones at the same time, it may very well end up in a mutual kill. If it gets to close range, also a mutual kill. If one pilot is significant more skilled, or the other pilot makes an unforced error, that could tip the balance.

Of course, if the F-18 is supported by E-2C/D, that turns the tables with a huge situational awareness advantage for the F-18. We could talk about F-35 support, but let's save that for another thread.

Posts: 830 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Any word on what squadron the F18E was from? Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sundo:
Of course, if the F-18 is supported by E-2C/D, that turns the tables with a huge situational awareness advantage for the F-18. We could talk about F-35 support, but let's save that for another thread.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this. Even without additional support our pilots are so well trained the equipment we give them almost makes this an unfair fight. I'm all for that. Big Grin

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This could turn out to be a very dangerous escalation.

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Escalation my ass. You drop bombs near friendlies you follow them to the ground.

Good job.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post