SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Argument between Cessna Pilot and Vegas ATC
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argument between Cessna Pilot and Vegas ATC Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
for example, ASRS won't help if you're importing cocaine

Well, shit. There goes that job. I was supposed to report to the company to get checked out next week.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43777 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ASRS program uses relief from enforcement action as an incentive to report, but it's limited in scope.

The FAA can apply the administrative or certificate action to the pilot, and it will go on the pilots record as such, though if the pilot falls within the scope of the ASRS, he won't actually pay the penalty. For example, if the FAA suspends the pilot's certificate for 90 days, his permanent record will show a certificate suspension, although if covered, he will be allowed to keep his certificate during that time. For those seeking to make a career, or those who are career pilots, a single FAA action can be damaging for the remainder of the career.

The pilot must not have done anything illegal, and must not have done it intentionally. The pilot must not have used an ASRS report in to forestall enforcement action in the previous 5 years.

While the FAA cannot initiate enforcement action based on the report, they can do based on the information obtained from any other source (including the title strip of the report, which is not protected, unlike the body of the report).

If the FAA discovers the incident from any other means, the FAA may proceed with an investigation and may take whatever action is deemed appropriate or necessary. If the pilot falls within the protected scope, the pilot may be relieved from actually surrendering his certificate, but will still have a permanent record for violations, or a two-year record for administrative actions such as a Warning Letter. The Letter of Investigation will also remain in the pilot's file.

Under the new record keeping requirements that expand beyond the existing PRIA, now outlined in a NPRM and under comment, the record database will include not only the FAA file, but all employers, including those outside of 121 or 135...all the pilot's history will follow him or her. The ASRS program won't alter that, and will not eliminate the record of penalties, regardless of whether served for someone covered under the ASRS program.

It has its benefits to the user, but also a number of gotchas. Admissions in the title strip are one of the more common errors.

The Airline ASAP program, a parallel version of ASRS for operators, is likewise full of traps, but more of them. It is supposed to provide the same protections and immunity from company punitive action, but comes with the problem of voting panel members from the FAA, the company, and the pilot group.

The saving grace for ASRS is that in it's entire operating history, there has never been a known breach of confidence.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
He was actually a nice guy once you got to know him. In a murderous way. Sort of.

I've had a boss or two like that. One of my supervisors put it this way: "95% of the time, you love him, 5% of the time he makes you hate him the other 95%.

I found that to be succinct.

Posts: 5137 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

One of my supervisors put it this way: "95% of the time, you love him, 5% of the time he makes you hate him the other 95%.
Your supervisor is Yogi Berra?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Lifetimes ago I used to serve as an assistant manager for an FBO in coastal NC- what is now Michael J. Smith Field (in honor of Challenger Shuttle Pilot Smith who grew up there). In earlier days the little airport was called “Airfilte” and/or "Beaufort/Morehead City Airport”.
It was an uncontrolled airfield that had a lot of traffic due to the Outer Banks. It has no tower.

So one day I get a call on the radio from an approaching Lear and the conversation went kinda like this-

“BEWfort airport, this is Lear Nxxxxx. Request airport advisory”.

I responded along these lines, correcting his mispronunciation of BEAUfort NC- “Lear Nxxxxx, this is BEAUfort control. Weather is clear, wind is approximately 10 knots, no other reported traffic., Be advised this is an uncontrolled airfield”.

“Roger, BEWfort airport. Approaching from the XXXX”.

It was concerning me that the pilot kept mispronouncing the name of the airport over and over again, so I corrected him whenever he said the name. But the pilot ignored my correction and kept going back to his original BEWfort. I watched the sleek Lear descend and landed late on the longest airstrip, (which was only around 5,000 feet). I can see the pilot standing on the brakes and smoke from the wheels and hear the engines wind up as he tries to slow the aircraft.

“BEWfort airport, this is Lear Nxxxxx. Where’s the rest of the @#$@#$ airstrip???” with fumbling noises and loud voices from the cockpit.

I respond- Lear Nxxxxx, this is BEAUfort control. That is our longest airstrip”…

The Lear taxies up to our main pad area and I meet them as they open the aircraft door. The pilots and passengers are all agitated and exit looking around and one suited fellow says to me “Where’s our limo?”.

I say- “No limo has been here in the last few hours”. They all stand there looking confused in the bright sunlight.

At that point I realized what was going on and asked them. “...Just where do you think you are?”.

“Why, BEWfort, South Carolina”, they responded.

“You landed in BEAUfort, NORTH CAROLINA. You are in the wrong state”.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:

Bet that was an expensive mistake.

Posts: 11344 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somebody -- well, maybe more than one somebody -- called me a rectal orifice. Might have been right.

On a flight from home (Orlando area) to visit the kids in northeast Ohio, I made a stop at a small FBO to stretch my legs, use the restroom, grab a snack, and top off fuel.

I paid the bill and on the way out I noticed a student pilot and his instructor, poring over a navigation chart, evidently prepping for a flight. As I walked past the table where the student and instructor were working, they glanced up at me. I was overcome by a case of "the devil made me do it," I could not stop myself. I pointed vaguely north and asked, "Is Ohio that way?", got in the airplane, and departed.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I knew my designated examiner quite well - a really nice lady who really knew her stuff

did the oral part of the exam, pre-flight and she's looking at the weather a bit and is asking me if I still wanted to go

I said sure...

so we get in, and the first thing I says is 'whats this button do' and she looks at me sideways wondering what she just got herself into

it was a good ride

Posts: 53053 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

One of my supervisors put it this way: "95% of the time, you love him, 5% of the time he makes you hate him the other 95%.
Your supervisor is Yogi Berra?

Sadly, not at all. That guy became another 95/5 guy a few years later.

Posts: 5137 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
In reading this thread again this morning, it occurs to me that I need to thank all the pilots on this forum who take the time to provide background, detail and experiences when the topic is aviation related. I have always had a interest in aviation so these topics catch my attention. I greatly appreciate gaining a little bit of knowledge from folks who know.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 713 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
I’ll second your reply regarding the aviation department here at Sigforum. This forum has a tremendous wealth of knowledge with different perspectives applied but I always find myself interested in the aviation threads. Anytime I fly I always wonder if one our forumites is on the flight deck (as I learned it’s no longer cockpit). Thank you all for explaining these topics so the rest of us can understand. Someday I may take some lessons and get my license since we live 5 minutes from a small airport. As always, stay safe!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1893 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was a ramp manager for FedEx at Dulles Airport. Back then you could jumpseat on our aircraft for free, the only downside was the flying was all late at night and you had to go through Memphis usually. I had a guy get off a flight one morning, usually we’d get them a ride or coffee while they waited for a friend. This guy looked around a bit and asked me where he was. You’re in Virginia, where’d you think you were? Turns out he wanted to go to Dallas, not Dulles! He ended up hanging around all day until the flight back out to Memphis that night at 10:00 pm. Gave us all good chuckle that day.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post