SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Argument between Cessna Pilot and Vegas ATC
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argument between Cessna Pilot and Vegas ATC Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I got no dog in this fight. Prior military, work at a major, I usually disagree with guppy too. However, I agree with most of what he said. We are told not to call. Let them track you down. I love police, but nothing good ever came from talking to them either. Everything you say, can and will, etc.

We get that phone number, we call company and let them deal with it, which is effectively like calling your lawyer.

My advice? Worth exactly what you paid for it, don’t call.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:

Again, you clearly have it all figured out. I'm not going to get into a dick measuring contest with you because in all your stories you seem to like and invite confrontation. You are obviously a big bad alpha dog and nobody can convince you otherwise.
Please. You stated "If you get told to call, you've already violated an FAR." That sentence implies that (in your opinion), ATC can do no wrong.

I have cited two ATC screw-ups in which I had some sort of involvement, both of them documented. Disagreeing with you on a factual basis makes me a big bad alpha dog? OK, so be it. I used to think that I was just a regular member of the pack, but alpha dog sounds like it could be fun, so I'll give it a try. Wink

By the way, if you want more examples of ATC screw-ups, I have a bunch of them, personal experience, at KSFB -- the Orlando-Sanford airport. During the time that I was based there, while construction equipment was rampaging around at X04 (Orlando-Apopka, Our Little Airport), I caught a few errors from Clearance Delivery, VFR Class C and IFR clearances that were clearly wrong. No harm done, as the inconsistencies were detected prior to taxi. I also had a few bad calls by tower controllers, with potential harm. I asserted myself and a different controller's voice on the frequency over-rode the initial ATC bad instructions; this leads me to believe that there were trainees at KSFB and the over-riding voice was a trainer or supervisor. I don't know that for a fact, but the evidence seems to point in that direction.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Disagreeing with you on a factual basis makes me a big bad alpha dog? OK, so be it. I used to think that I was just a regular member of the pack, but alpha dog sounds like it could be fun, so I'll give it a try. Wink

I'm quite certain he was addressing sns3guppy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Disagreeing with you on a factual basis makes me a big bad alpha dog? OK, so be it. I used to think that I was just a regular member of the pack, but alpha dog sounds like it could be fun, so I'll give it a try. Wink
I'm quite certain he was addressing sns3guppy.
Ah, maybe so. He did not specify, and I had called him on his erroneous assertion that "If you get told to call, you've already violated an FAR," so I inferred that he was addressing me.

Damn, I thought I was going to be an alpha dog. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, I love your stories and I consider you an alpha dog. At least an honorary one. Big Grin

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, enough bitchin big dog-itis, time for a slight thread drift.

Todays E-4 flying is call sign Murca01, how cool is that for July 4? It just overflew OKC.

Thank you to the US Military and our Commander In Chief President Trump, always on duty, always watching, and keeping us safe.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
V-Tail, I love your stories and I consider you an alpha dog.
Thank you. That's one more thing I can cross off my bucket list. Smile

Gene -- I have to plead ignorance on "E-4" in the context that you're using it. Quick explanation or pointer to a reference please?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Air Force 747. I think technically the airborne command type not Air Force one type. I’m just a dumb navy guy though, they don’t let us near the fancy types.

V Tail you certainly are the alpha type in my book!

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^ I'm referring to the airplane, sometimes referred to as Nightwatch, the military flies.

It's the flying military command post, posed to take charge of our military and defense in a worse case scenario.

It's a highly modified 747, capable of inflight refueling, about the same as Air Force One.

You can google "E4 airplane" to read more about it.

Anyway, I thought todays callsign Murca01 was awesome.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I was thinking, "E-4? I was E-4 (third class petty officer) when I graduated from Navy guided missile school, but I didn't have a call sign." Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I didn't have a call sign

If you had, it would have been A-dog.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
An E-4 was the command plane Darren McGavin was on in By Dawn's Early Light. Also featured in The Sum of All Fears.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I was thinking, "E-4? I was E-4 (third class petty officer) when I graduated from Navy guided missile school, but I didn't have a call sign." Wink

Wait a minute, I thought you were an Air Force Lieutenant Commander.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm kind of surprised you didn't get the reference, being a pilot and all Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
It's a highly modified 747, capable of inflight refueling, about the same as Air Force One.

Air Force One is only AF1 when the president is aboard; any USAF aircraft that the president is aboard becomes Air Force 1; it's a mobile callsign that follows the president, no the aircraft.

The E4 and the VC-25 aircraft presently recognized in public as "Air Force One" are upgraded 747 Classics; they're old airplanes. They use the same cockpit layout and instrumentation as Kalitta's retired classic 747's.

Those have all been scrapped. Too outdated.

The USAF went to Kalitta a decade ago to see about renting time in their 747 simulator; it was the most advanced Classic 747 sim in the world (and is one of the only ones left), and it the same cockpit configuration. It was also in use around the clock, with no spare time available day or night.

They've still got the sim, but scrapped the aircraft, due to age and inefficiency.

quote:
Again, you clearly have it all figured out.

All? No. A fair amount, for damn sure. It's called experience. Get some.

quote:
I'm not going to get into a dick measuring contest with you

That's just as well. You'd probably win. An employer has never asked, neither has a client. It's just not a metric we use. We stick to facts, whether it's refusing to guess at fuel, time, or distance, or legal issues, such as regulations, violations, and calls to the tower. Pretty damn important stuff.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^. Grumpy Guppy Guy, you need to get laid. Quit being such a Grouchy Guppy!

Give it a rest, will ya?

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Some one at Moffat Field has a B747 sim. I flew it back in the 90's. They used it for research, but they also rented it out at the time too to different companies...

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Some one at Moffat Field has a B747 sim. I flew it back in the 90's. They used it for research, but they also rented it out at the time too to different companies...

NASA runs a 747-400 simulator at Ames, at Moffett field. There are a number of simulators there.

The Classic's are long in the tooth and few and far between, especially as there are only a hand full of 747-200/300's left. Perhaps five or so left in service?

I parked one of the last -100's years ago; it was the last flight it ever made, and was cut up about a year later.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

The FAA Aviation Safety Reporting Program (ASRP) administered by NASA allows a pilot to self report a screwup. This removes any punitive action by the FAA, but I don't think this case falls within the program because the pilot refused to leave after being told they did not have a clearance.

While initial penetration into controlled airspace may have been inadvertent, remaining was deliberate. Self reporting via ASRS would shield the pilot from any enforcement action for entering, I think remaining after the fact could be a second violation that would not be shielded because of his refusal to depart the area.

www.ASRS.ARC.NASA.gov/overview/immunity.html

Every pilot should be aware of this program, as you can file as many reports as you want and because reports are confidential the FAA investigator does not have access to read your report.

Fly from MYF to LAX and back, submit a report that your left main gear may have been low on air. Weeks later you find out LAX tower has you for something you didn't even know about and you have that receipt in your pocket as a get out of jail card.

Flying in SoCal with all the controlled airspace is not the same as flying in other parts of the country.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
ASRS does not shield a pilot from punitive acton if
  • the infraction was deliberate, or

• if there is criminal activity involved (for example, ASRS won't help if you're importing cocaine).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים