SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Minneapolis this weekend. Where to eat/go? UPDATE in 1st post
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minneapolis this weekend. Where to eat/go? UPDATE in 1st post Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Other's have mentioned Matt's for Juicy lucys - It is tough to get in there at times due to all the hipsters, but the burgers are good if you're able to!

Brasa is tasty.

http://www.brasa.us/

Pig ate my pizza is in Robbinsdale (same owners as Travail - just south on 100 from BC).

The Minneapolis Sportsman's show is this weekend at the convention center if that's something you're interested in.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Youse guys kick major ass, thanks!!!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I'm blanking on the name at the moment, but there was a pretty good German place downtown.

Was it Black Forest Inn?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re...polis_Minnesota.html

I haven't lived in the Twin Cities since 1990, but the Black Forrest Inn (26th & Nicollet, German food & beer) was one one of my favorite restaurants. Moderate prices.

It's also booyah season. Local organizations set up temporary eating spots on city streets, serving booya of various quality, but usually pretty good. Generally low prices. You have to keep your eyes open to spot 'em, although a local might be able to give you some guidance.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
Try Mickey's Dining Car in St. Paul. The full on old time vintage Diner experience.

Mickey's Dining Car

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten about Mickey's. Great chili and Mulligan Stew.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I'm blanking on the name at the moment, but there was a pretty good German place downtown.

Was it Black Forest Inn?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re...polis_Minnesota.html

Finally remembered. Gasthof Zur Gemutlichkeit

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For German yes Black Forest and the Gasthaus 23 and University.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like the school building is actually on campus. He just has to make smart decisions the Police there have adopted a policy of not announcing race for suspects of violent crime. The admin feels it sets a bad example.

There is some section 8 stuff really close to that location that is where most of the problems trickle in from. If there is anything more specific or you need crime stats just email me.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:The hotel area and ours specifically, is absolute CRAP! Ghetto to the Nth degree, and I grew up in hoodish areas of Milwaukee, so I'm no stranger, although I grew up and chose to GTFO. The cop at the smelt fry got REALLY big eyes when I told him what hotel district we were in!

They don't call it "Crook-lyn Center" for nothing.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We spent yesterday morning hoofing it around Dinkytown and the rest of the campus area to get a better feel for the lay of the land. Found a little pasty shop in Dinkytown for brunch; just what the doctor ordered after the grease bomb smelt fry the night before!

Then we rode both the blue line and green line trains from end to end. I figured we'd end up going thru some unsavory areas, which I hoped would open his eyes about what to expect if he wanders off campus in the wrong direction. I think it had the desired effect. The nice young lads next to us on most of the St. Paul end of the green line ride were practicing their "GD" gang handshakes and making sure everyone in earshot knew what badasses they were. Thanks again for disarming me, MN! We bounced around Mall of America at the far end of the blue line, just to say we did, and the downtown Minneapolis area at the other end as well. We also walked thru Union Depot in St. Paul, so he'd know where to catch an Amtrak for future reference.

We ended the day with eats at Mesa Pizza, also in Dinkytown, which was really good. They had about 30 different varieties of pizza by the slice, so you can mix it up. I really wanted to hit the Royal Orchid as suggested, but Andy wasn't up for Asian.

I'm hoping to check out the Cathedral, and grab jucy lucys at Matt's/5-8/or Nook for lunch (and Salty Tart for dessert) before hitting the road home.

quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
They don't call it "Crook-lyn Center" for nothing.

Man, you ain't kidding!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Blue Door for burgers.

The Anchor for the best fish and chips this side of England.

Across the street from the Anchor is the Dangerous Man microbrewery. They make a fantastic milk stout.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post