SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Minneapolis this weekend. Where to eat/go? UPDATE in 1st post
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minneapolis this weekend. Where to eat/go? UPDATE in 1st post Login/Join 
posted
FRIDAY UPDATE: Got the all you can eat Lion's Club smelt fry @ the Brooklyn Park Community Center, served in the gymnasium, with all volunteer staff . What a blast! It's billed as the "World's largest smelt fry" and they go thru thousands of pounds of smelt in 3 or 4 days. It's a pretty cool sight!

The hotel area and ours specifically, is absolute CRAP! Ghetto to the Nth degree, and I grew up in hoodish areas of Milwaukee, so I'm no stranger, although I grew up and chose to GTFO. The cop at the smelt fry got REALLY big eyes when I told him what hotel district we were in! My son was disappointed when he found out I wasn't carrying, as MN doesn't honor my Wisconsin license. Thanks for keeping me safe, MN!!

-----------------------------------------

SATURDAY UPDATE :

We spent Saturday morning hoofing it around Dinkytown and the rest of the campus area to get a better feel for the lay of the land. Found a little pasty shop in Dinkytown for brunch; just what the doctor ordered after the grease bomb smelt fry the night before!

Then we rode both the blue line and green line trains from end to end. I figured we'd end up going thru some unsavory areas, which I hoped would open his eyes about what to expect if he wanders off campus in the wrong direction. I think it had the desired effect. The nice young lads next to us on most of the St. Paul end of the green line ride were practicing their "GD" gang handshakes and making sure everyone in earshot knew what badasses they were. Thanks again for disarming me, MN! We bounced around Mall of America at the far end of the blue line, just to say we did, and the downtown Minneapolis area at the other end as well. We also walked thru Union Depot in St. Paul, so he'd know where to catch an Amtrak for future reference.

We ended the day with eats at Mesa Pizza, also in Dinkytown, which was really good. They had about 30 different varieties of pizza by the slice, so you can mix it up. I really wanted to hit the Royal Orchid as suggested, but Andy wasn't up for Asian.

I'm hoping to check out the Cathedral Sunday morning, and grab jucy lucys at Matt's/5-8/or Nook for lunch (and Salty Tart for dessert) before hitting the road home.

-----------------------------------------

SUNDAY UPDATE:

We did end up grabbing some treats at the Salty Tart bakery in the Market in S. Minneapolis. What a great bakery in such a COOL market (previously an ancient Sears and Roebuck store?)! Then burgers at the Nook in St. Paul (another really neat joint).

Thanks again everyone for the great pointers and recommendations! Most importantly, Andy really liked the school, and we're both very relieved to be acquainted with the area, and feel much more ready to head there this fall.

---------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

I'm bringing my oldest son up to MSP tomorrow thru Sunday. He's enrolled to start this fall at the UMTC downtown campus in the College of Science and Engineering (Aerospace & Mechanics). We've got a campus/CSE tour most of the day tomorrow, but we're hoping to just get the lay of the land the rest of the weekend.

We're staying in Brooklyn Center, and would like some ideas on good but not ritzy/spendy local joints (even dives) for meals; not necessarily in Brooklyn Center, I'm always up for a cruise. If there's a must-have fish fry somewhere, I'm game. Extra double bonus points for a place that has a SMELT fry!!! Other breakfast/lunch/dinner options of whatever American or ethnic varieties would be great, too.

Also, from a soon-to-be college student's perspective, what else would you recommend we check out while we're in town? I was thinking of getting him acquainted with city busses and routes to the local shopping district, since he won't be taking his car for at least the first year. Any ideas and input welcome. Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Outnumbered,

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I was there YEARS ago, but I remember a famous deli or sandwich shop that was world renowned for it's Reubens. I'm sure a local could tell you the name of the place.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was there YEARS ago, but I remember a famous deli or sandwich shop that was world renowned for it's Reubens. I'm sure a local could tell you the name of the place.....

Regrettably the Lincoln Del closed in 2000.

To the OP, I live just outside of Brooklyn Center. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

- For a lunch or dinner try http://www.50sgrill.com/ This place has been in business for many years - their shakes are worth every penny; so are the burgers!

Minneapolis just began MAJOR construction on Highway 94, it could really mess up your travel times so be advise.

E-mail is in my profile if there is anything else I can assist with.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Regrettably the Lincoln Del closed in 2000.

To the OP, I live just outside of Brooklyn Center. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

- For a lunch or dinner try http://www.50sgrill.com/ This place has been in business for many years - their shakes are worth every penny; so are the burgers!

Minneapolis just began MAJOR construction on Highway 94, it could really mess up your travel times so be advise.

E-mail is in my profile if there is anything else I can assist with.

Thanks for the heads up. Any advice on which route to take into downtown to the campus tomorrow morning? Coming from Wisconsin, thru Rochester etc.

Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I went there last year on a business trip and really liked this Irish Pub called The Local. It's in the Nicollet mall shopping district. Very good beer selection, service and food.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a smelt fry, just across the way in Brooklyn Park from 5-8pm at the Community Activity Center is the 'World's Largest'— ends Friday; Red Stag Supperclub in Northeast Minneapolis off Central, I think, has awesome smelt fries (and other great food...the bar is excellent, too).
For the best Juicy Lucy, Matt's Bar by Lake Nokomis on Cedar; Saint Dinette or The Strip Club (owned by the same folks) are two outstanding places...lots of interesting fare; Spoon and Stable in the North Loop Downtown is awesome; Bar La Grassa has great pasta, and is also in the North Loop; Luci on Cleveland in St. Paul has excellent Italian as well; for great Thai, Supatra on 7th in St. Paul is top notch; for Indian, Darbar on W Lake is my favorite...I could go on.
As for things to do, just explore. This time of year isn't the best for outdoors stuff (probably another month or so), but I'm certain you'll find things. Just Google and take your pick.

Posts: 237 | Registered: January 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
If you are coming from Rochester, you are likely going to be coming in from 52. Just because of construction on 94 I highly recommend leaving an hour earlier than you had planned.

You might actually be okay getting to the U, but parking is a bastard. It is the drip to Brooklyn Center that will slow you down the most.

Where are you staying?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
If you are around Sunday morning take a spin to Lake Minnetonka and have brunch at Lord Fletcher's. It's a haul for us as we live on the other side of town but it's where we go go special occasions.

Busters on 24th in South Minneapolis has some good grub. I found out about it from Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. On the North side there is Q-Fanatic, a stupid good BBQ joint that was also on DDD.

In Columbia Heights which is right between Brooklyn Center and the U of M is a Thai food place on 40th and Central Ave called The Royal Orchid. Highly recommend the Phad Thai or Coconut Noodles. I've never found better. As a matter of fact I'll be right by there tomorrow and plan on stopping in for a fix.

The Best fish fry I am aware of is in my back yard in Prescott, WI at Philander's but that might be a haul for you. Probably 40-45 miles from BC.

The Best Italian I know of is across the River too in Hudson at Mama Maria's.

Eat Street is Nicollet Ave just on the south side of downtown Minneapolis. About 20 blocks of intermittent restaurants. My favorite is The Rainbow, an Asian joint. Everything is really good but I recommend the Honey Walnut Shrimp.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
If you are coming from Rochester, you are likely going to be coming in from 52. Just because of construction on 94 I highly recommend leaving an hour earlier than you had planned.

You might actually be okay getting to the U, but parking is a bastard. It is the drip to Brooklyn Center that will slow you down the most.

Where are you staying?

Unfortunately, Motel 6! Everything downtown was about $200/night with parking fees, etc. My handle here is Outnumbered because I have a herd of children, mostly girls. Therefore, we save where we can and spend where we must! This, however, bodes well for Andrew; he qualifies for excellent student loans, etc! Wink

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Zelos. Downtown on the Mall.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
My wife and I try to make a point of eating here when we're down room "up north."

Usually the Minnetonka location. Not overly expensive, and quality fare.

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you are in the area this weekend one of the oldest larger custom motorcycle and car shows is in St Paul MN

30th Annual Donnie Smith Car and Bike Show

Posts: 23402 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
If you like cheesecake or desert (who doesn’t like desert?), Cafe Latte , 850 Grand Ave, St Paul, MN, 55105 Their food is really good, but their cheesecake is what keeps me coming back.

Midtown Global Market 920 E. Lake Street, Minneapolis, MN 55407 has some good places to eat too (some of that can be a bit on the spicy side). They also have the Salty Tart (a bakery/desert place – maybe I have a problem…).

The Russian Tea House 1758 University Ave W, St Paul, MN 55104 is pretty unique, good food and only open on Fridays from 11AM-3PM.

North West of where you’re staying:
Café Zupas 11669 Fountains Dr., Maple Grove, MN 55369 is surprisingly good for a chain restaurant.

I haven’t been here in a couple years, Claddagh Irish Pub 7890 Main Street North, Maple Grove, MN 55369, Guinness, corned beef cabbage rolls and fish and chips were my favorites there.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
These are a few of my favs in the MSP area. You are in the north burbs and the north loop/nordeast area is on your way to the U of M campus, there are so many great restaurants and bars in that area.

If you want a real treat go to Butcher and the Boar, make a reservation now.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/butch...the-boar-minneapolis

Buster's on 28th, great hamburgers, sandwiches and beer.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/busters-on-28th-minneapolis

Another great burger place with a good tap list, Red Cow.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/red-c...rth-loop-minneapolis

A Minneapolis dive bar favorite and arguably the inventor of the juicy Lucy, Matt's bar
https://www.yelp.com/biz/matts-bar-minneapolis

My very favorite Italian place, Bar La Grassa.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/bar-la-grassa-minneapolis

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:

Midtown Global Market 920 E. Lake Street, Minneapolis, MN 55407 has some good places to eat too (some of that can be a bit on the spicy side). They also have the Salty Tart (a bakery/desert place – maybe I have a problem…)

The Salty Tart has a flowerless chocolate cupcake that might be the most delicious thing I've ever eaten.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

if you mean the Lincoln Del, it has been closed for some time.
Up in Brooklyn Center is Pitsburgh Blue. Fine food. Owned by the same people that own Manny's but there is a six month wait for that place.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'm blanking on the name at the moment, but there was a pretty good German place downtown.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by

If you want a real treat go to Butcher and the Boar, make a reservation now.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/butch...the-boar-minneapolis

I can highly recommend this place. Had an awesome dinner a couple years ago here. Still thinking about the massive blueberry chutney porkchop I had.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Some of the best food I have ever had was at a little place called Tilia

http://www.tiliampls.com

It is right by Lake Harriet in Minneapolis. Great food and a great beer selection.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I'm blanking on the name at the moment, but there was a pretty good German place downtown.

Was it Black Forest Inn?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re...polis_Minnesota.html

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post