SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do people universally duck when walking under a helicopter?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do people universally duck when walking under a helicopter? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
because at some point in time, it will be cherry Jello w/ bananas night at the assisted living facility and those, are the good time's

life is too short to risk Cherry Jello night

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
I always duck under helicopter blades even if the helicopter is flying 1,000 feet over me.

It pays to be safe.

If you fast forward to 9:06 of the video below you'll see one of our most beloved and effective presidents has a wardrobe failure caused by helicoptor blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cDohyRbzeo

If you keep watching the video there are a few scenes of a young, sexy Brenda Bakke.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The blades can dip several feet, depending on the type of helicopter / power setting / etc - especially big ones like MH-47s, etc. Every extra foot or 3 is a good thing.

Question - Do you stand on the yellow line on the highway? I mean, no cars should cross that, so you'll be safe. Wink

This is what I was taught. Having a pilot for a father, who also did accident investigation, means you get taught to play it safe.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Long-term survival is about safety margins, not near misses.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
because at some point in time, it will be cherry Jello w/ bananas night at the assisted living facility and those, are the good time's

life is too short to risk Cherry Jello night

True

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another 101 guy.

I can tell you that a parked CH-47's front rotor droops to about 6 inches or so of the top of my 70" body when parked on a relatively level sand LZ in Iraq. My Second LT self didn't believe that the blade would droop that low until my CO CDR showed me. In ASTAN, part of the planning process for "Air Assaults" (actually more like Helicopter insertions), the exit door of the chopper was identified and included in the plan. We didn't want some getting off the bird and move uphill into the rotor blades.

As a rule of thumb when operating around aircraft, I recommend listening to the aircrew and do as they do/direct.

Also, when a helicopter comes in for a landing don't stare at it open mouthed unless you like the taste of dirt.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post