SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do people universally duck when walking under a helicopter?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do people universally duck when walking under a helicopter? Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted
I've never ridden in a 'copter so I don't have first hand knowledge. Even though the blades are several feet above heads, people universally duck. Is it instinct? Is it taught?

Just curious...

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
From watching M.A.S.H.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
What if there was a constant stream of 50BMG rounds flying over your head at about 12’ — would you stand on your tippy toes to get closer or would you duck your head down a bit ... y’know, just in case?

It’s gotta be instinct.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
From watching M.A.S.H.

That and the fact that everyone (well, almost everyone) else does it. I do my best to stand tall when walking under them, but I'm still cringing inside.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The blades can dip several feet, depending on the type of helicopter / power setting / etc - especially big ones like MH-47s, etc. Every extra foot or 3 is a good thing.

Question - Do you stand on the yellow line on the highway? I mean, no cars should cross that, so you'll be safe. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted Hide Post
Denoggin Phobia.

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
They may just be lowering their eyes from the airflow and swirling dirt.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I have seen it in the movies where it will chop your head off.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Two reasons.

One. Because the Helitack crewmember that does the safety briefing tells you to crouch down approaching the helo.

Two. The reptilian part of your brain concerned with self-preservation screams, “Duck, dammit!”

Posts: 13257 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The blades can dip several feet, depending on the type of helicopter / power setting / etc - especially big ones like MH-47s, etc. Every extra foot or 3 is a good thing.

Question - Do you stand on the yellow line on the highway? I mean, no cars should cross that, so you'll be safe. Wink

^^^ THIS !!!

I saw a PO2 lose the top part of his cranial during Desert Storm. Had he been an inch or two tall he'd have lost the top part of his cranium.

He walked away with a VERY sore neck. Luckily it wasn't broken.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yes. Especially numbe two. And as someone who is taller than most and, as such, has hit my head on more shit that probably 95% of the population, I know how much it friggin hurts and I’m not taking any chances. I duck when I go under anything close to the top of my head. Even if I have previously stood tall safely underneath it

Better safe than sorry

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Two reasons.

One. Because the Helitack crewmember that does the safety briefing tells you to crouch down approaching the helo.

Two. The reptilian part of your brain concerned with self-preservation screams, “Duck, dammit!”

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
From watching M.A.S.H.

Love that old show, and your correct, they aways did. I don't have cable, antenna only, and its still on one of the sub channels.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats a big avatar brah!

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Yes. Especially numbe two. And as someone who is taller than most and, as such, has hit my head on more shit that probably 95% of the population, I know how much it friggin hurts and I’m not taking any chances. I duck when I go under anything close to the top of my head. Even if I have previously stood tall safely underneath it

Better safe than sorry

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Two reasons.

Yes - all of the above. I’m 6’8”, and whether UH-1 or CH-53, I ducked while embarking and debarking.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I think the "I have never walked up to a helicopter" part really answered the question from the git go

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I don't want to be Vic Morrow.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to be some helicopters were pretty short.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
A fellow Chief and shipmate of mine Ron Highland was killed in 2001 when he was hit in the head by a rotor blade

link

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I spent a lot of years in, on and around running jets, recips, and choppers. I ducked, dodged and avoided the chompy crushy things and probably looked silly doing so at times.

But I was trained that way.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then consider the non-concrete landing pad implications - military / life-flight helos can find themselves landing in terrain that isn’t completely flat, so you may find a couple inches of your typical clearance gone to slightly rising terrain features, etc.

And if you have ever been around a large helicopter when it takes off, you will want to be hunched over to lower your center of gravity - because if you are unprepared, they can send your ass flying. I’ve witnessed large 50-75# packs tossed like a rag doll when a CH-47 lifted off.