SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Duct tape may not fix everything, but it fixed this airplane
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duct tape may not fix everything, but it fixed this airplane Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I think there was an episode of Myth Busters where they covered a planes exterior with duck tape instead of metal?
It was originally covered with cloth, and they did use duct tape to cover it. It flew, too, although somewhat heavier than the original plane.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I have ferried damaged Cessna 208 Caravans repaired with aluminum tape and FAA ferry permit without any issues other than to maintain a slower speed in flight.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
So they go on a fishing trip with a bunch of rolls of duct tape? That's more than one or two rolls.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 646 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djinco:
So they go on a fishing trip with a bunch of rolls of duct tape? That's more than one or two rolls.

It was 25 rolls in three cases, and several rolls of heavy duty plastic. It was brought in, along with two replacement tires, and a replacement horizontal stabilizer. Plywood was used to cover windows, along with some plastic. The rolls of plastic were wound around the fuselage, secured with tape, then the fuselage wound with tape.

The event occurred in 2009.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I'm going to assume that's not cheap-ass walmart duck tape, surely there is a much better quality stronger aviation grade available.
Yeah, we don't use Walmart crap -- we get the good stuff at Target! Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Between 2003-2005 I listened to many stories of a rancher's youth. He worked a motorcycle test track. Yamaha, maybe? And said the bikes regularly got smashed to pieces. Among his jobs was getting the motorcycles back on the track as soon as possible. They used 200mph-rated duct tape for everything.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post