SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Duct tape may not fix everything, but it fixed this airplane
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duct tape may not fix everything, but it fixed this airplane Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
(Some details might be a little off and/or missing, as this is kind of a second-hand account.)

This airplane was flown into a remote area for a fishing trip. While on the ground, it got broken into by a bear and the fuselage and horizontal stabilizer/elevator severely damaged. It couldn't be flown out in that condition, so the alternatives were to abandon it or haul it out with a heavy-lift helicopter, neither of which were acceptable. So they patched it with duct tape. Big Grin Before:

After:

(Presumably, they patched the tail surface since that is a critical control, but there is no picture of that side.)

This enabled it to be flown out and (I hope) fixed properly later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Surrounded by
Fruit Loops
Picture of Baran
posted Hide Post
I was once out at Sandia or Los Alamos National labs, for get the exact one. I used to have customers in the research labs at both locations. They had a problem with middle fins staying in place, the plastics composite rings were cracking. My host said their temporary fix was duct tape.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Happy Valley, MA | Registered: November 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

IMG_0154 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I think there was an episode of Myth Busters where they covered a planes exterior with duck tape instead of metal?

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy Cow a bear did THAT???????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Holy Cow a bear did THAT???????

Sure. A kid with a pocket knife could do worse. That is just fabric.

Maybe cotton on ancient stuff, but for a long time it has been Ceconite or some similar nylon like fabric. The first layer of protective coating over the fabric unless the Stits process is used is butyrate dope. It is silver.

Never mind, iPad zoom to the rescue. Looks like duct tape. Excellent.

The biggest duct tape repair I’d ever flown was a wing cap on a Beech Sport that some guy safely landed on the Magic Mountain Parkway and pulled most of the way off the road only to have a motorist clip the wingtip.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle scabbard for a “fishing” trip. Fishing like Crocodile Dundee.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah but I'm looking at how damaged the aluminum is in the 2nd photo.

posted Hide Post
quote:

The fuselage is welded tube covered in fabric. What you are seeing is shredded and torn fabric with missing paint. The wings, vertical and horizontal stabilizer are also fabric covered.

Picture of an uncovered Super Cub fuselage: https://www.airframesalaska.co...a-18fuselage-std.htm

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Nice rifle scabbard for a “fishing” trip. Fishing like Crocodile Dundee.

You go far enough out into the wild you don't take a dump without bringing a rifle along.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tail number info with photo of plane.

https://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N9368D

Here is another accounting of that story.

https://aviation-safety.net/wi...se/wiki.php?id=72316

Date: 26-SEP-2009
Time: night
Type: Silhouette image of generic PA18 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Piper PA-18 Super Cub
Owner/operator:
C/n / msn:
Fatalities: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 0
Other fatalities: 0
Aircraft damage: Substantial
Location: LaRose's Hunting Lodge Airstrip - United States of America
Phase: Standing
Nature: Private
Departure airport: Anchorage, AK
Destination airport: LaRose's Air Strip, Private
Narrative:
While tied down for several days, the aircraft was attacked and partially eaten by an Alaskan brown bear. Damage was reported to the fusalage, horizontal stablizer, landing gear, and windows of the aircraft. No human casualties were reported. The bear escaped but presumably suffered some gastrointestinal difficulties as it defecated several times in the area. Extensive field maintainence and temporary repairs were carried out on the aircraft and it was flown to Anchorage for repairs.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the field repairs done in Alaska are legendary, involving branches cut from nearby trees and all kinds of surface repairs from tape to linen. Make it fly and get it somewhere for repairs.

I was in Anchorage a few days ago when a 747-400 parked next to us, missing a winglet. It was quickly covered with aluminum tape and sent packing. I have pictures, though I'm not sure how to upload anything, any more. Given the repair, I'm not sure I should. (It wasn't us).

I flew a 747 across the Atlantic years ago, with silver tape all over the outside of one windscreen: it had blown out in flight with the previous crew, and had been replaced. A considerable amount of sealant, a two-part mixture that cures (and cures very slowly in cold temperatures) was applied, per normal. Because it would all be blown out by the slipstream, it was covered in silver aluminum tape, and remained that way for some time. It's done.

We had a very nervous flyer on a corporate trip in a Sabreliner years ago. One of the board of directors asked us to put some duct tape on the outside of the airplane as a joke. We left a strip hanging down on the leading edge slat, which extends by gravity. When the passenger saw it, he asked what it was, and we apologized.

"I'm sorry," I said. "It keeps coming loose. Hang on." I pushed the slat into place and taped it there, then helped the passenger aboard. His buddies thought it was great.

I've duct taped spray booms and other gear to the struts and fuselage of airplanes on a number of occasions, to move that equipment when it wouldn't fit in the airplane. Not that uncommon, in certain circles.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

What aluminum damage in the second photo? All I see is shredded fabric.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it is a Regulation in Ak to carry a firearm in an aircraft. Not sure what the parameters are. For survival and bear defensive purposes.

OZ

Posts: 158 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The aluminum is the baggage area, enclosed to allow larger and longer gear without damaging the fabric or interfering with the rudder cables.

A longeron appears to be bent at a cluster.

The baggage enclosure is non-structural; damage to that enclosure will not impact the ability of the airplane to fly. One could strip all the fabric off the back of the fuselage and it wouldn't impact the airplane much, either; there are a number of Supercubs out there that fly with nothing covering the aft fuselage.

The damage done to the covering of the horizontal stab isn't a huge problem, either; it would be if it were the elevator.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The aluminum is the baggage area, enclosed to allow larger and longer gear without damaging the fabric or interfering with the rudder cables.

A longeron appears to be bent at a cluster.

The baggage enclosure is non-structural; damage to that enclosure will not impact the ability of the airplane to fly. One could strip all the fabric off the back of the fuselage and it wouldn't impact the airplane much, either; there are a number of Supercubs out there that fly with nothing covering the aft fuselage.

The damage done to the covering of the horizontal stab isn't a huge problem, either; it would be if it were the elevator.

That's what I'm talking about. But the fact the bear even bent the hell out of the aluminum baggage area.....is crazy.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm going to assume that's not cheap-ass walmart duck tape, surely there is a much better quality stronger aviation grade available.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't take a lot to crumple a beer can.

And no, there's no aviation-grade duct tape.

Now gorilla tape. That's another matter.

There is tape used in aviation applications, and duct tape does find application for certain things...but covering an airplane is more of an extreme example.

There's always "nuclear grade..."

https://www.uline.com/Product/...xQIdqYcClw&gclsrc=ds

And military grade:

https://aerotape.com/products/polyken-231

In this case, the repair involved replacing wheels and the horizontal stabilizer. Windows were replaced with plywood and plastic. 25 rolls of duct tape were used and several rolls of industrial grade plastic (under the tape).

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
It doesn't take a lot to crumple a beer can....

Yep. Beer can vs beer bottle.

Semi-monocoque construction and it's inherent strength are predicated on the integrity of the skin and the supporting formers and stringers. It makes for a very strong and very light structure and integral composition allows for lighter assembly, with similar load-carrying ability to full monocoque structures (at a greater weight for the same strength).

Full monocoque derives it's strength and integrity from very strong (think heavy)structural members. Thick skin, formers, bulkheads. Adding considerable weight to provide similar operational strength and integrity.

(more expensive to build, maintain and fly, as the added weight from design is a constant negative impact/cost to fuel requirements of every sortie)

However, the semi-monocoque structure can suffer catastrophic failure from compromise (from over stress, over-G loading, or failure of hull or load-bearing members). But the meantime and number of flight hours, passengers/cargo moved per hour, are far better for the semi-monocoque than full monocoque design). And the overall safety shows that the semi-monocoque design is effective and safe enough, that the "dollar-driven" impetus, is not without a positive outcome.

Modern aircraft rely on semi-monocoque systems to take advantage of operational savings from reduced weight, ability to utilize maximum "usable space" and several other things, that a full monocoque structure would provide at a greater "costs" (payload, operational hours, fuel, and many other metrics).

But it takes less "damage" (generally speaking) to compromise the safety/integrity of a semi-monocoque airframe than a full monocoque airframe)

I have used "hundred mile an hour tape" or "Mach tape" (aluminum tape) many times to facilitate sorties, some in very high dollar, and "high visibility" munitions testing missions. But, I also put my butt on the line to sign off on those missions and did so with full understanding and "ownership" of responsibility for said actions.

Folks doing such things, do not take such things lightly. "We" know what the worst outcome can result from those actions, and proceed with an abundance of caution. "lives over mission".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post