SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicken Folks, step in
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken Folks, step in Login/Join 
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Seeing a little more production right now but it still won't seriously pick up for another month or two. I have buff orpingtons.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
We have two ceramic eggs in the nesting box. I have to believe they help production because the real eggs end up with the fake ones. We move them and the hens always sit the box they’re in. Cluck think?

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post

I've never had chickens, but I do think I want some in the future. This isn't entirely new information, but very interesting to me.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
One chicken came to a violent end within eyesight of the remaining 11 hens. They stopped completely for 2 weeks. Last 2 weeks have laid 1 a day. Since sunday (with warmer temps) have had 2 a day. Who the heck knows.?

Eta: got 8-10 a day during spring summer. These are Barred Plymouth Rocks and Australorps.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a single egg in weeks. Since before the extreme cold snap. Beyond the short day issue, the cold put them into survival mode I think. They weren't impressed. They are also molting. Great time to do it LOL

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I haven't seen a single egg in weeks. Since before the extreme cold snap. Beyond the short day issue, the cold put them into survival mode I think. They weren't impressed. They are also molting. Great time to do it LOL

That's what has me confused: Some of mine are molting too, but they're laying like crazy.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth I guess, my customers are happy.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding that they stop laying when the molt but I guess there is always an exception.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I would have read this thread earlier but I was scared, even though you invited us in.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I would have read this thread earlier but I was scared, even though you invited us in.

I had to think for a moment or two. Smile

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I asked my daughter about this since she took poultry science last semester at Texas A&M. Without details, she just told me that light makes a BIG difference in egg production.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:
I asked my daughter about this since she took poultry science last semester at Texas A&M. Without details, she just told me that light makes a BIG difference in egg production.

Did you know your avatar is HUGE!

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
5 hens, only getting 2 eggs a day right now. It's been that way for about a month. Hens are 2 years old.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:
Originally posted by ftttu:

Did you know your avatar is HUGE!

It looks normal size on my Apple products I use to post. I will look into it, thanks.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post