SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicken Folks, step in
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken Folks, step in Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I know at least one other member (DSGrouse?) keeps chickens.

For those that aren't familiar, egg production drops WAY off in the Winter with the short days unless you force the issue with lights on timers. (I don't) With a flock of older birds it can even stop entirely for a while.

It picks back up as the days get longer, usually around the 1st of March here.

Egg production has nearly doubled in the last week. It's way too early for the Spring Laying Binge. I wonder if the birds know something I don't?

Anybody else with birds seeing production increases?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Is your cat out there urging the hens to up production, egging them on as it were?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31439 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ha...

Nope, no cats on the place.

I did upgrade their scratch feed to a mix with more black oil sunflower seeds and less millet which they don't seem to like. Doubt that accounts for a doubled output tho.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got 8 hens that will be a year old this spring. If anything mine have slowed even more the past week or two. Two of my girls haven't layed in a week.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two of my girls haven't layed in a week.

Maybe they got married.....

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Two of my girls haven't layed in a week.

Maybe they got married.....

BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! It's that damned wedding cake, I'm tellin' ya!

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
We have 8 hens that will be a year old in the spring and we are getting 3-4 eggs a day on average.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine, 13 hens, one rooster (all are less than a year old) were providing about 4 a day until a week ago, haven't got even one lately. Hoping the current warm spell will spur them on.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Ours are older hens as well and they are pumping out about half of their spring and summer output which is higher than normal for this time of year. We're having a pretty mild winter so far and that could be the reason.

Who knows, they are really lousy communicators. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carriganzl
posted Hide Post
I have 4 hens now and I am seeing about 2-3 eggs per day. It was around November and beginning of December that I wasn't getting any production. I thought something may have been getting the eggs so I put a store bought out in the nest and it sat that for a while so I guess they were just on break.

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.

Posts: 955 | Location: Western NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
We have five hens and this time of year we’re seeing 3-4 eggs a day. The leghorn and orpington are the most reliable, laying 1 each almost daily.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
our flock all went through a late molt... We had very early cold so maybe they held off during the low temps.

They are a bunch of skinny looking birds at the moment. We are at about 1/3 of summer production. I decided to forgo artificial light this year. I thought maybe the ladies could use a break.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
I've tried twice to raise chickens....

Don't know if I'm planting them too deep or too far apart!!

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
I've tried twice to raise chickens....

Don't know if I'm planting them too deep or too far apart!!

Some first-timers get 'em upside down too. Head down, ass up or they won't sprout.

Edit: Or are you trying to start them from seeds?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
We had a prolonged cold spell here in eastern NC. Soon as a little warmth came in, egg production doubled. I have 42 hens, 2 roosters and get about 18 a day now. Most my hens are RIR's. Best egg layers ever.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
When it warmed up, ours started laying again.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
It varies by many factors in addition to the 14 hours of daylight per egg. Peer pressure and group thinking is important to chickens.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about you folks when I saw the commercial for this seat cushion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLgPw_Ga9uc

everybody's doing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8SFb00BRD0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I thought about you folks when I saw the commercial for this seat cushion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLgPw_Ga9uc

Only you, my friend, only you... Big Grin

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
They're saving the eggs up to pelt you with later.

Then the yolk will be on you.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31439 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post