SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bullet Energy Equation Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Energy Equation Questions Login/Join 
posted
While playing around with my TI 86 and the energy equation I programed in, I noticed that the equation is mass*vel sguared divided by 450240.
My question is what is 450240 derived from. I've been poking at it, assuming it has to do with converting MPH to FPS and Grains to LBS but so far I haven't cracked it. Any ideas anyone?

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Dunno where 450240 comes from, but I usually see bullet muzzle energy calculated as mass (in grains) * V^2, where V is muzzle velocity in thousands of FPS. It’s not a consistent metric or English system of units. But it’s a handy system for bullets, and provides a good relative measurement.

E.g., a 115 grain bullet at 1200 FPS would have an energy of 115 * 1.2^2 = 165.6.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the basic equation is KE= m×v^2 / 2×g it is undoubtedly a result of converting units. However, since you didn't provide the resulting units of your calculation, there is no way to determine what factors constitute the overall conversion. Typically, KE is given as ft-lbf and g is roughly 32.2 ft/s^2, so the basic equation is m×v^2 / 64.4. v is in ft/s and m is in slugs.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know the specifics, but it’s to allow the use of velocity in feet per second and weight in grains to produce an answer in foot-pounds rather than the usual physics textbook inputs. And the constant varies among sources; I’ve also seen it as 450400, 450500, and IIRC 450800.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
Since the basic equation is KE= m×v^2 / 2×g it is undoubtedly a result of converting units. However, since you didn't provide the resulting units of your calculation, there is no way to determine what factors constitute the overall conversion. Typically, KE is given as ft-lbf and g is roughly 32.2 ft/s^2, so the basic equation is m×v^2 / 64.4. v is in ft/s and m is in slugs.

Ken

Kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. There is no g involved.

You would divide by g if you were using weight instead of mass because weight = mass * g, or alternatively, mass = weight / g. If you wanted to use the equation with pounds, you would use 1/2 * pounds / g * v^2 because pounds are a unit of weight. pounds = slugs * g.

In English units, you would use slugs for mass and fps for velocity. Grain is also a unit of mass, not weight.

1 slug is 225,218.3 grains. Dividing the mass in grains by 225,218.3 gives the mass in slugs.

1/2 * mass in grains * (1 slug/225,218.3 grains) * (velocity in fps)^2 = 1/(2*225,218.3) * mass in grains * (velocity in fps)^2 = 1/(450,437)* mass in grains * (velocity in fps)^2.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duke762:
While playing around with my TI 86 and the energy equation I programed in, I noticed that the equation is mass*vel sguared divided by 450240.
My question is what is 450240 derived from. I've been poking at it, assuming it has to do with converting MPH to FPS and Grains to LBS but so far I haven't cracked it. Any ideas anyone?

Grain is not a unit of mass, nor is pounds. There are 7000 grain per pound. The acceleration of gravity is 32.2 feet per second per sec. Presumably this is why you want to divide by 450240. However, it seems to me you should divide by 450800. The number 450800 is because there are 7000 grains in a pound, and the acceleration of gravity is 32.2 fps/second.

Miles per hour doesn't enter into the calculation.

Well i guess i cannot answer your question, because i don't know where the 450240 came from. Me, i would divide your grains times speed in feet per second squared, calculation by 450800.

Posts: 76 | Location: Rapid City, South Dakota | Registered: February 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
When I took physics in college the SI system was used. As posted above, I assume that is a conversion factor to foot-pounds. I mostly detest the metric system but for this sort of stuff I am an SI guy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:

Ken

Kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. There is no g involved.

You would divide by g if you were using weight instead of mass because weight = mass * g, or alternatively, mass = weight / g. If you wanted to use the equation with pounds, you would use 1/2 * pounds / g * v^2 because pounds are a unit of weight. pounds = slugs * g.

In English units, you would use slugs for mass and fps for velocity. Grain is also a unit of mass, not weight.

1 slug is 225,218.3 grains. Dividing the mass in grains by 225,218.3 gives the mass in slugs.

1/2 * mass in grains * (1 slug/225,218.3 grains) * (velocity in fps)^2 = 1/(2*225,218.3) * mass in grains * (velocity in fps)^2 = 1/(450,437)* mass in grains * (velocity in fps)^2.

Doh! Thanks for catching my mistake. I hate flipping between SI and IP systems.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post