SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Metal Detector recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metal Detector recommendations Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
What does the membership here like in the way of Metal detectors?

Will $500.00 or so buy a decent detector, or am I wasting money?

I have watched a few videos, but always appreciate the opinions of the members here.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are a half a dozen ways to use detectors, have you read up on the many ways to decide what aspect you would enjoy?

there is a lot of stuff on the innernet

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see the feedback you get here, but you may want to also check out forums dedicated to metal detecting. e.g. https://metaldetectingforum.com.

Think about how you are going to use the machine (bendable's point). Do you need something submersible? Will you be detecting saltwater beaches? Will you target small pieces of gold (nuggets vs. jewelry)? Quality headphones help with discerning subtle sounds. Headphones also allow you to detect without disturbing others with that annoying beeping. Is this important to you?

Make sure you research the customer support reputation for the manufacturers you consider.

Are there any clubs in your area? If so, you have instant mentors that can help you identify the right machine for you. You may even find that you can try different machines to see what you like.

Be aware that some of the video creators may be biased by their association with one of the manufacturers. I'm not questioning their integrity, but there could be some bias. Youtube videos are what piqued my interest in metal detecting.

Also, be sure to budget for accessories you may want. e.g. A pinpointer can save you a lot of time and effort in locating targets.

I recently bought my first metal detector and will be happy to tell you about my experiences, but in no way am I qualified to make a recommendation. Feel free to send an email to the address in my profile.

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need more info...What are you looking for?..Where do you live? 500.00 is going to be light for even a good basic setup. Minelab just introduced a new detector and as a result there are a lot of good used detectors up for sale.

Recommend as starter the Garrett AT max. There is one on forum for 579.00 with a lot of warranty left. Now you have a detector next you need pinpointer, that will run around 100.00 used. Then headphones again 100.00 used. Digging tools?
Everyone has a shovel but best not bring one to your local park so add 5 to 10 dollars for a Lowe’s hand digger or 50ish for a lesche digger.

If I was starting over today I would buy the Equinox 800 but it is selling at 800.00 new.

I hunt mainly coins and relics. Have enjoyed MD for 11 years now. I have way to many detectors just like guns it becomes a sickness!!!

Posts: 51 | Registered: June 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
These folks are great to work with:

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/

I only have one detector, a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, and haven't had it out much at all but bought it from them and was/am very happy with it. Not sure what I paid, but I do know it was a lot less than $500.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am looking for something like the Glock 19 of metal detectors.

I hope to use it on vacation, the beach in Michigan and in wooded areas that were once home to residential and commercial buildings.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the home or office or just for your loud rap parties? You cannot be too careful. Good security helps as well.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
check with the people in those venues to confirm that metal detectors and digging is allowed,

yes , thats right,
there are city , county , state and fed lands that may or may not approve of the use of metal detectors and digging.

just because
Ike and earl are out there digging , does not mean they have permission , or sometimes a permit.

http://www.treasurenet.com/for...gan-state-parks.html

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
check with the people in those venues to confirm that metal detectors and digging is allowed,

yes , thats right,
there are city , county , state and fed lands that may or may not approve of the use of metal detectors and digging

Thanks, I had no idea.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

posted Hide Post
quote:
posted April 19, 2018 08:24 PM Hide Post

yes , thats right,
there are city , county , state and fed lands that may or may not approve of the use of metal detectors and digging

Good tip. The mafia does not appreciate amateurs digging in their backyard either.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
now I am wondering met det is like star gazing, pistol shooting and bass fishing?

sometimes when you hang around the clubs, seminars or "get togethers"

you can not only get some good , useful information , but often times there are people that are upgrading their tools/gear and need to sell their currant stuff, perhaps much less than retail pricing.

perhaps there is a shop in your vicinity that can provide information about such groups or gatherings

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have a Bounty Hunter I bought six or seven years ago for less than two bills. I am always losing stuff around the farm and it has never not found what I was looking for.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son has a Tesoro Compadre. It is probably more entry level than you are looking for but it is made in USA and seems well built.

It was recommended as a good starter detector that some people with more expensive ones still use in certain situations.

It does not have any fancy screens and readouts just audible detection.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby...als/GBug(reader).pdf

more complex than I anticipated,

might take a while for me to get the hang of initializing