SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle Wheel fitment help

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Vehicle Wheel fitment help Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
So the new vehicle has a forum but there is not a whole lot of activity over there. So mainly I just read archived stuff as it appears it can take days or even weeks for questions to get answered, if ever at all.
I have never fooled with aftermarket wheels before so I never worried about fitment, offset, etc.
I swapped out factory Mustang wheels for other factory Mustang wheels so I always knew they would fit.

From the factory my sweet new ride has
235/60/17 tires.
The majority of the folks that swap the wheels out and stay with the factory suspension (yes their are multiple companies that make adjustable coilovers for these sweet things but the road to my gun club would not allow for travel with a lowered suspension so mine will be remaining factory height) are running a 255/45/20 tire with a 20x9.5 wheel a +25 offset and a 5x114.3 bolt pattern.
With this they say there is no rubbing, no trimming, no spacers required.
I would like to run a little bit taller tire since most of those folks are in Southern California and I am in the Bluegrass State where I still travel on quite a few gravel and not so well taken care of roads.

I would like to run a 19x9.5 +22 offset wheel with a 255/50/19 tire. It should have the same overall diameter so that is not a problem and if my very minimal understanding of offsets is correct there is only a 3mm difference in the +22 and +25 so I am guessing there won't be much of a difference.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Report This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
I have used tire rack.com to see different sizes that fit my truck....but I'm not sure they show you about offset. A call might help.

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Be aware that when you increase the Rolling Diameter you also increase the leverage the wheel exerts on the Brake. End result is that many of the Chevy Caprices with 24 inch rims so popular in the Metro Detroit area cannot come to a stop from 80 mph because the brakes fade to NOTHING.

I would advise that you stay with the Wheels and Tires supplied with your car by the Manufacturer. Because if you don't you WILL find that you have compromised the handling or braking by some extent and potentially that effect may be severe enough to result in a risk of crashing simply by going a bit too fast. The simple truth is that the car manufacturers have to worry about meeting Federal Standards and actually test the suspension and braking systems very extensively to insure the vehicle is safe.

As for the Hoopty Wheel manufacturers, they don't test diddly squat and don't care one little bit if you find that when you need to stop your car just doesn't have the braking power to do that because of your oversize rims. In fact I've never even seen the slightest mention that these oversize rims can effect braking at all.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
19" wheels are a factory option for my model of vehicle so not much too worry about in regard to rolling diameter. More concerned with the offset and rubbing width wise. Brakes are the same across the platform regardless of wheel size.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ace73:
I have used tire rack.com to see different sizes that fit my truck....but I'm not sure they show you about offset.

They do. Full specs on each wheel are available at tire rack, including offset.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Report This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
Edit: I just reread your post. Yes, you're only 3mm different in offset location. I got my wheel widths messed up!

Offset is a really funny measurement. It's not intuitive at all and with English diameters, metric widths and ratios for tire sidewall, it's really easy to just F up.

When cars were my "thing" I was able to jam 275/35/18s Michelin Pilot Supersports on all 4 corners of my 2011 Subaru WRX STI.

I found this website really helped me figure out what would work best. http://www.1010tires.com/Tools...el-Offset-Calculator

Also, a few tips.

Not all tire widths are the same. A 265 wide Nitto is not necessarily the same width as a 265 Hankook. You may have to do some google-fu and see what people are saying about how wide tires run but it's also very speculative. Much like guns, there's a huge user base who may be less informed yet still want to give you answers Smile. Take the time to look under the car and evaluate how much room you have now and how much you can go. Please leave yourself a few mm buffer for tire shift under heavy loading. Nothing like going hard into a turn and rubbing on your suspension.

I'm not sure what the inside of the fender wells look like on the Mustangs but if you're going for an aggressive fitment, you'll probably have to do some rolling. Have a professional do it and not your buddy's buddy's brother. There's a lot of technique to a good roll job. It takes time and should be done right. This can absolutely shred your tire shoulder if not done well. It can very well also cause cracking and flaking of the paint on the inside/outside leaving exposed metal.

Don't intentionally run a taller tire. Just get the correct tire diameter for the car. I've heard stories of it messing with ABS sensors etc because the rolling speed is not actually correct.

And what the fuck kinda car runs a 255/45/20 size tire?? That YUUUGGEE here's another good tool I used
http://www.discounttiredirect....SO2:20170305104018:s

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
And what the fuck kinda car runs a 255/45/20 size tire?? That YUUUGGEE here's another good tool I used

Not looking for wheels for the Mustang as I already have those. Looking for the new daily

————————————————

Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
3mm lower just means the center of the wheel is 3mm further in, which makes the outside lip stick out 3mm more. Not an issue at all.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Nice Sienna.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Nice Sienna.

That is not mine but pretty close to what mine will look like in the end hopefully.

Just using it to point out the wheel size. Those are the 20s.

Those wheels are made by VIP modular and depending on cost will likely use them.
There is a similar replica set out there that is slightly less in cost.
I actually prefer the look of the replica set as it has less rivets.
https://esrwheels.com/collecti...wheels/products/sr05

But it is a replica wheel so lower quality but I am not tracking the van or anything just daily driving so not too worried.

————————————————

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You'll keep busy cleaning all those little tight spoke areas. That van pictured does look good with the wheel wells filled up with tire and rims.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
'fitment' is a noun

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
'fitment' is a noun

Indeed it is. Maybe the OP went to gun magazine writers school. Big Grin

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Report This Post