SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Warm Gloves?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warm Gloves? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of thin glove liners plus a heavier glove over that. i don't care about a specific brand.
It seems to me that the trick is to get gloves that are just a bit loose , especially the fingers. It doesn't take much to restrict blood flow in extremities.

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stumbled onto a pair made of polar fleece on clearance for $5. Mid weight fleece. Thing I like about them best is that it doesn't seem to matter if the get wet they stay warm.
I've literally rung water out of them, patted dry with napkins and hit the slopes again. Still warm.
They do not have any liner. In fact I've tried to find another pair and bought some with gore tex and they are not warm. Think they keep too much moisture in.
I've worn these down to 15 degrees or so. Much colder than that I go to other gloves/mittens.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I AM NOT A DOCTOR, but in the the winter months I take Nifedipine for Reynaud's Phenomenon. It helps some.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/...edipine-oral/details

https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/raynauds-phenomenon#1

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an issue keeping my fingers warm when hunting. Tried lots of gloves and mittens. The solution ended up being an easy one. I purchased a pair of wool liner gloves to go with my thicker gloves. I think I got them from REI for $20 or so. If you have a nice pair of gloves you already like, try a wool liner.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I stumbled onto a pair made of polar fleece on clearance for $5. Mid weight fleece. Thing I like about them best is that it doesn't seem to matter if the get wet they stay warm.
I've literally rung water out of them, patted dry with napkins and hit the slopes again. Still warm.
They do not have any liner. In fact I've tried to find another pair and bought some with gore tex and they are not warm. Think they keep too much moisture in.
I've worn these down to 15 degrees or so. Much colder than that I go to other gloves/mittens.
Fleece gloves are now my favorite, also. I have a pair of medium weight fleece gloves that keep my hands warm in 0-10 degree weather where other heavier traditional style gloves fail.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16510 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
"Hotfingers". I ordered them on line from Dicks Sporting Goods. Thirty bucks, I believe and absolutely the warmest my hands have ever been.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I found Kuiu. Really good stuff, original founder of Sitka digital camo.
Expensive but buy once.
Glassing mitts on sale.
The Kenia jacket is the warmest jacket I own, lighter and warmer than Cabelas Artic pipeline jacket.
Kuiu is designed for athletic build - need to upsize onc size.
Www.kuiu.com
Call them to see which glove or mitt they would recommend. Peloton 200 and Attack gloves I use for driving in cold weather. Guide glove and Expedtion are my cold weather working gloves.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your hands are an extremity, wearing a beanie or, a warm hat on your head is a good first step as it'll help retain the body heat that your body is generating.
Secondarily, Gore-Tex gloves are difficult to make, while there is a variety of brands that make a Gore gloves, very few make a good all around model that isn't full of compromises.
Hestra makes some of the best designed and variety of winter sport gloves. Just about all the European ski teams at the Olympics are wearing Hestra designed gloves.
Marmot's Randonnee is the most copied glove and arguably the best value in the technical outdoor industry...Gore-Tex, Pittard's Leather and PrimaLoft insulation.
OR's Couloir is another long time standard in the technical outdoor world. OR for a long time was solely focused on making very good gloves.
Black Diamond and Arc'Teryx have had very good styles over the years.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I love my Swany gloves. I won't buy any other brand.

http://www.swanyamerica.com

I’d have to give a second vote for Swany. I have tried a BUNCH of different brands and the Swany’s just fit better than any others I’ve tried.
Mittens are the warmest, you might try a wool liner, hand warmer under a good mitten. Some of the military mittens can be had inexpensively and then you can use a nice liner or thinner glove underneath. For straight gloves at least try on the Swany’s!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
My personal favorite for all around (shoveling snow, skiing, hiking in the cold & nasty,etc) is the OR Arete: Link

My hands get cold pretty easily, but the built it liner keeps me warm into the high 20s (F) if I’m active. The liner is removable (internally attached with Velcro), which allows for different options. Any colder (teens to 20s) or in low output activities I use either an additional merino wool liner or single beefy polarfleece liner. The Arete’s are GoreTex (Wind/waterproof) and surprisingly dexterous. Breathability is limited, but it’s Gore so to be expected. I’ve found the main reason my hands have gotten cold over years is due to having too much glove and no liner (moisture wicking). Basically my hand would start sweating during high output activity, then cool and freeze when resting. Once they got cold it took forever to get them warm again. I’ve had my current pair of Arete’s for 3+ years with mod-heavy usage and they look a little worn but are 100% functional. I just skied in them yesterday in some nasty wet snow & sleet. I only lasted a few hours but my hands were try and toasty the whole time.

If it’s single digits or below it’s mittens only for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The key to staying warm is layers. Inner layer(s) should be moisture wicking and outer layer should be inner moisture out and keep outer moisture out.

I have a storage bin full of different gloves/mittens of various thicknesses and uses including the gloves from my -50F arctic survival gear. I've spring skied in just my glove liners, but I've also skied with liners, mittens, and chemical heaters when it was -30F.

In other words, I don't think you're looking for just one pair of gloves/mittens. I think a great combo are glove liners w/ touch screen index finger tip plus gore tex mittens is the best of both worlds for dexterity, ability to use smart phone, dryness, temperature flexibility, and warmth.

Unfortunately, this is my 2nd winter in Texas since my 7 years in Alaska and Alberta so none of the winter gear is sold any more which means I can't give a specific recommendations. If the OP lives near a REI, I'd go visit the store and try on a few. REI has a nice selection and in person it's much easier to determine amount of insulation and pick a few pairs for your needs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-gloves/

I have had a pair of gloves from this company for over 20 years now. I use them for skiing, snowmobiling, snowblowing, shoveling. They are starting to show their age but still keep me warm and dry.

The ones I have were part of a system. I have the outer shell and an inner glove is a separate fleece glove. I do not see them on the link I posted but would not hesitate to buy a new pair from them again. Plus, they have 30% off right now.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found the Kinco mittens work for me. Good price and have held upvery well

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
https://thebuffalowoolco.com/c...es?variant=939585151

I use these for steelhead fishing in icy cold water even wet they stay warm amazing gloves to say the least.

Posts: 5589 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I am very much considering the Swany Toaster mittens. Lots of great reviews on the warmth and I think I have come to the conclusion I need some mittens if they will get the job done. Hestra is running a close second but several reviews say they are awesome but not the warmest.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Have you considered heated gloves? I doubt they would work for every situation but they should work in many situations. Link: http://www.cabelas.com/product...o-Gloves/1540029.uts

Obviously, these aren’t in stock right now but you hopefully can see what I’m thinking.

Edited to add that I get cold fingers and toes too. I’ve found that simple chemical heaters make a big difference. For cold winter games or situations, I’ll carry more than one set and add as they start cooling down - they never last as long as they claim for full heat IMHO.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heated gloves. I LOVE them. They are made by Gerbing & have rechargeable batteries. 3 heat settings. I got them for riding my motorcycle year round but I use them when I exercise my dogs outside too.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
So I bit the bullet and got the Swany toaster supreme mittens. If these don’t work I am going to get heated gloves.

http://www.swanyamerica.com/p/...oaster-mittens?pp=12

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post