SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Warm Gloves?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warm Gloves? Login/Join 
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted
Ok, so I have spent countless Mounts of money in search of warm gloves. My fingertips get cold in even the most expensive gloves. I am about to resort to mittens, but wanted to check with the braintrust first. I am looking for a gore Tex glove that works for skiing, shoveling snow, and generally keeping my fingers warm. Any favorites? If they are truly warm and work, budget is not an issue.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've seen gloves that are also mittens. Your fingers go into the glove fingers, and there is a mitten flap that you can slip on and off the fingers. Works really well.

They come in both full fingered, and half fingered for dexterity.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Get a good Merino liner. Then a good glove. I like OR but there are many others. No reason to have cold hands for what you are doing.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
For five fingered gloves RefrigiWear 0253's are pretty good for the money.

ETA. not gortex,

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Back until few years ago I rode motorcycles to and from work and everywhere else summer and winter...I had great results with Olympia insulated Goretex riding gloves...my current pair predates these newer models and are very warm, especially with a pair of lightweight knit liners and a chemical hand warmer activated and placed on the BACK of the hand to warm the blood flow to the fingers...
These are the best cold weather gloves I've ever owned...

https://shop.olympiagloves.com...-gore-tex-all-season

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I rode year round in NJ, I would put on a pair of medical gloves and then my riding gloves, kept the wind off while keeping insulated. Added bonus if it was raining.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 40 year old cold weather Vetter gloves with rabbit lining and a long gauntlet that were made in South Korea..

But when it really cold, I wear a pair of silk gloves under the Vetter cold weather gloves.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I've seen gloves that are also mittens. Your fingers go into the glove fingers, and there is a mitten flap that you can slip on and off the fingers. Works really well.

They come in both full fingered, and half fingered for dexterity.

What we were in Korea. Mittens were worn over wool finger gloves. Some M1 Garand rifles were fitted with a cold weather trigger for use with the mittens.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It can be a trade off with dexterity, which depends on what you’re needing to do. It’s easier to keep fingers warm when they are all together, like with leather ‘choppers’ with wool mittens/liners inside.

For casual snow shoveling, it should be easy to find simethind, same with skiing. With both you are moving around a good bit. If needed look to snowmobiling gloves, may be overkill.

I have an assortment of options. My very cold weather predator hunting setup is a glove with good dexterity inside a lined chopper. When it’s time for action I slip my hand out and can easily shoot.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Hestra Army Leather GORE-TEX.
They aren't cheap but they are warm, dry, and very functional.
I only have experience with the lobster claw design so it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I assure you they are very warm.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:My fingertips get cold in even the most expensive gloves. I am about to resort to mittens, but wanted to check with the braintrust first.

Having lived in MN for more than half a century, I can tell you that no glove is as warm as a mitten/chopper. In terms of dexterity, any glove that comes close to being as warm is going to be too thick to be useful. You're better off with a fairly roomy mitten style that can be pulled on and off easily.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I love my Swany gloves. I won't buy any other brand.

http://www.swanyamerica.com

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May I suggest battery heated gloves. God Bless Smile

https://www.thewarmingstore.co...vEAAYASAAEgKi7vD_BwE

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a pair of down-filled gloves by 180s at Brookstone. I wore them on a trip to northern Iceland a few months later. Best glove purchase ever!

https://180s.com/product/down-glove-men-black

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Not sure how if they still make them, Arcticshield mitts with thin liner glove. I have always had problems with hands being cold. Not at all with these. I use the liner glove for grip then sitting in a heated deer stand. Then if I go for a walk, put the mitt on over them. The are split for half hand and trigger finger.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:
Hestra Army Leather GORE-TEX.
They aren't cheap but they are warm, dry, and very functional.
I only have experience with the lobster claw design so it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I assure you they are very warm.

I actually stublmed across these yesterday. Didn’t know if they were worth the money.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I swear by Swany. On the coldest of days, I may tuck a glove heater into the pouch the glove provides.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got these , last december,

and really like them a lot .
at 20 degrees , while blowing snow , they are close to being too warm
https://www.amazon.com/Carhart...e/dp/B005TIBCY6?th=1

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What MNSIG said - get a nice pair of thin gloves and cover them with a good mitten that can come off easily with a quick tug.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, no such thing as a warm glove that doesn't involve heating elements. Thin gloves over real mittens. Mittens need to be waterproof and a fairly high gauntlet that is easily tightened while, wait for it, wearing mittens.

Good news is mittens are cheaper than gloves.

Posts: 7461 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post