SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water front home
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water front home Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smaller home fine. 1000sq. ft. up to 1600 or so. Detached garage or shop a big plus. At least 1/2ac. More is better. Don't need a neighbor I can reach out and touch. Boat dock big plus. Water with quality fish a big requirement.

Check out a place called "Stratford Harbor", located a couple miles from Montross, VA.

Has all the stuff you seem to desire. Great boating and fishing. Club house with swimming pool. Not to mention a freshwater lake as well as the lower Potomac. River provides great salt water fishing. Lots of nice bass and other edible fish in the lake as well. Public water supply, septic for sewer.

We just came back from a few days there. Lots of fish cleaned and ready for freezing.

Water fowl hunting in the winter is pretty good, too, if you are interested in that.

Taxes are reasonable. Can't tell you how much they might be, as my accountant (aka wife) does all our finances. LOTS of deer, too but can't be hunted in the complex. Lots of farm land where they might be hunted.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Have you considered some property with a pond? That's what we did.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Land Between the Lakes, around Paducah, KY. Best kept retirement secret in the country.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Around here most lots are tiny and canal homes still bring $250k.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Here you go: http://mhtrustland.org/index.php/land/land-sales/

Just want land on water? Nearly all of the ones my company appraised this year were waterfront.

Here's a picture I took while inspecting 3 of the parcels in little tutka bay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Land Between the Lakes, around Paducah, KY. Best kept retirement secret in the country.

Or Lake Cumberland area in Ky.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Check out this site. Over on the right hand side there's a Special Property Search list, one of which is waterfront property.

www.unitedcountry.com/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hey, I kind of live on waterfront property. I used a little common sense and built on the "highwater" side of the road. Here in Kentucky, that means across the road from the water. Once, back in 1937, we had a really big flood. The water crested at 80 feet, and my basement is above that. I'm not in the 500 year flood plain, and I'm happy about it.

I'm retired and all day I look out at the river. It keeps on moving along. Ole man river. Today's big excitement was the marker bouy somehow moved downstream a few hundred feet.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you could get something in Northern WI or MN. My MiL sold her cabin on an acre and 120ft frontage for about 200k last Jan.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Kentucky Tennessee and the Carolina's all should have what your looking for.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Maybe Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia?

Near Roanoke, Va , freshwater, although the summers can get quite humid.

Not sure pricing , I used to visit there a lot at the state park walking my dogs at the trail.

http://smith-mountain-lake.com

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
You can find a home with canal frontage down toward Gulf Shores, AL and along that stretch (that is, Gulf Shores>Orange Beach>Perdido> Pensacola) that is NOT beachfront for around 185-225K, assuming you don't mind it being a bit dated. 250K to 350K gets you a more modern, amenities filled home with extras in the same spot. Move that over to beachfront and it starts around 600K and goes up.

Now, if you want an ocean view, and a good deal on some across-the-road-from-the-gulf views, then look into Gulfport, Biloxi, Ocean Springs, Long Beach, Bay St. Louis, or Waveland Mississippi. The beaches aren't as white as the Alabama and Florida gulf, owing to their proximity to the Mississippi River, but you can buy a raw acre of land around some of those parts for under 150K (unheard of prior to Katrina).

Of course, if you look down Waveland/Diamondhead way, you're mighty close to Louisiana and the inshore fishing (reds and specks) factors in....

Please tell me where canal front property is that cheap in OBA-Pensacola area. Canal front property with no house costs more than that.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Maybe Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia?

Near Roanoke, Va , freshwater, although the summers can get quite humid.

Not sure pricing , I used to visit there a lot at the state park walking my dogs at the trail.

http://smith-mountain-lake.com

I was going to mention Smith Mt. Lake where I live until I saw your budget.Most decent homes for sale around here start at 600K.
Most waterfront lots go for more than your budget and then you have a house on top of that.
In your budget I would look at TN, KY, and GA.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
As others have said, the price of the dirt is highly dependent on the "water" you are fronting.

For example, lots at the lake we hang out on in AL are $2-4,000 per foot of shoreline, depending on other factors such as depth, area in a slough, etc. That isn't with the home, just the lot. This on a 44,000 acre lake with ~750 miles of shoreline. Eek We have a lot there with a 750 ft/sq. cabin from the mid-60's that my parents bought for $7,300. Last appraisal was in neighborhood of $300,000, but that with the assumption of a teardown. 93' of water front, a relatively narrow lot.

Other lakes, in MS, AR, etc. and even less desirable areas in AL are a fraction of that. You have to balance what you want from the property with the price, like every real estate deal.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, all really great info. I really appreciate it and the email too.

Need to do a bunch of research.

Might for go actual water front and consider something with the water view near the water as well.

The Kentucky suggestions, where they about water front or just the area? Was not sure on that?

Keep it coming.

Again, thanks for the tips, leads and email.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jacksonville-Hubert area of coastal NC....

Get out into the smaller coastal towns....it's affordable....a house listing that I'm aware of sits on almost 4 acres with a detached workshop/garage, build 1980's, four bedroom, two bath, has a dock on the feeder creek and it less than 1/4 mile to ICW and 3/4 mile to open ocean. Last time this went on the market in was in the &190-210K range. This may go on the market in the near future for $230-270 range.

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Don't tell anybody this... but you can find places on nice lakes and rivers in the midwest for that kind of money. It'll be our little secret. We don't want too many east or west coast liberals comin' in and gobbling them up.
But it'll take some work drillin' down to the exact perfect place for you.

The Lake of the Ozarks is party town USA between Memorial Day and Labor Day. But the rest of the year it's pretty quiet. It's a big lake, but depending on what part of the lake you can have super-expensive or quiet and reasonably priced. We go to the Lake of the Ozarks because we have a family place there but I really like Bull Shoals, part in MO and part in AR, which has way less development and is a really pretty lake.

Can you have a waterfront house on Bull Shoals? I thought it was a Corp lake and development was restricted to a certain distance back from waterline, much like Table Rock???

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
My house is for sale, but doesn't meet all of your requirements.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the additional coast of home / property insurance when you do this - particularly with Ocean / Gulf front property (hurricanes, etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Oriental, North Carolina
https://www.zillow.com/homes/f...6.925927_rect/10_zm/

Don't tell anyone though.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post