SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electric Shaver Help: Rotary vs. Foil
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric Shaver Help: Rotary vs. Foil Login/Join 
posted
I am looking to get a new electric shaver. I currently have an old Phillips Norelco rotary that sucks partially because it is cheap, and partially because it is cheap, partially because it is old (8-10 years or so) and partially because I didn't use it regularly and didn't know you had to replace the blades on those damn things until recently.

Anyway, I am looking for some input regarding rotary vs. foil shavers. Internet essentially says that foil is a closer and smoother shave, but has less versatility with the curves of your face.

A blog I read said this is the best foil shaver on the market. Anyone have one? I have heard great things about the Braun foil shavers but they are obviously pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003...&colid=36OBYG77J4DNB

I also saw this one at Target earlier tonight and it seems nice, too. Both are well reviewed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J...&colid=36OBYG77J4DNB

Give me some input, fellas.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I have a Series 7-790 Braun, not sure what the differences are to your link but I love it. The replacement foils last, for me, a very long time, I replace it once a year.

I don't use the charge clean station much at all, I just don't find the cleaning necessary; I charge it with the cord alone.

I've used Brauns for a very long time, this is my third in probably 20 plus years; when the battery won't charge I buy another, so I guess they'd keep on shaving if they were plugged in.

As to lack of versatility on curves of the face...well if you've heard great things...

I like Braun, the product fits well in my hand and is durable and reliable.

My only knock against foil shavers is when I'm sporting a beard; my Brauns have, if not careful, grabbed hair when shaving against the beard.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 3rd Braun. Its a series 7 . I think its the first one you posted.

This will probably be my last one with Braun. They have really gone down hill since they have been bought out.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Not current on shavers and have had a beard for years. Up until the end of 2006, I HAD to have a good shave everyday (military career). I tried a couple of Braun foil shavers along the way but always ended up going back to Norelco rotary. Both worked well, maybe the Braun cut closer but with slightly more irritation along with it. The Norelco floating heads just gave a more comfortable shave ... and I liked the narrower trimmer best on the Norelco shavers versus the trimmer that ran the width of the Braun foil shavers. But it's simply a personal choice. No one size fits all.

EDIT: The biggest improvement with electric shavers for me was when they came out with one you could just rinse the heads out under running water after each use. That was wonderful.

In addition to Braun, apparently I also tried a Remington foil shaver. I just looked in a box in the bath closet and a Remington is in there. Must not have been impressed. I'd forgotten all about it. If I were to get a new electric shaver, it would be this one. It's the update version of the last Norelco I used (still have and no longer available) and the reviews are just as good as my old Norelco ... https://www.amazon.com/Philips.../ref=dp_ob_title_hpc

The only thing I didn't like about the last Norelco I used was the custom fit travel pouch wasn't large enough for the charger cord but that wasn't a show stopper. I guess they figured the charge was good for a couple of weeks and who travels longer than that anyway? ... military LOL. Don't know about the pouch for the updated version though. Haven't seen it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My decade or more old Braun is getting pretty long in the tooth, so this sometimes scraggly retiree is going to give the new Philips Norelco OneBlade hybrid electric trimmer and shaver a try. I like the idea of trimming like a number 2 setting at the barber.

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think it will boil down to a matter of personal preference. I used and liked a foil shaver. Some like a Norelco better. I never got a good shave from the Norelco I tried, and it had a tendency to yank beard hair out of my neck.

Now I use blades.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Braun 7 Series.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the Braun 7-760 you linked and like it. There was a period of time last year when the blade cartridges were very difficult to find and prices skyrocketed. They seem to be back down now. Just keep a spare on hand to ride out any production problems.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
When I asked a similar question here a bit over a year ago, fellow SF member, sidss1, gifted me a Braun Series 5. (Thanks, again, sidss1!) That thing does nearly as good a job as a blade, for me, and a much better job than rotary, multi-head electric shavers used to do.

I used to use a blade, but, began to have a problem area, under my chin, that, no matter how gently I shaved it with a blade, would get irritated and even raw. Problem solved.

I understand the Series 7 Braun shavers are even better.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've been shaving with a Norelco for about 6 years. Same cutting blades. It gives a pretty good shave when combined with a preshave. I use a Williams Lectric Shave. Using it dry, not so much. If I go too long between shaves, I need to use a razor to get the pesky long neck hairs.

I still use a blade (triple blade disposable) when I want a really close shave.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by springnr:
My decade or more old Braun is getting pretty long in the tooth, so this sometimes scraggly retiree is going to give the new Philips Norelco OneBlade hybrid electric trimmer and shaver a try. I like the idea of trimming like a number 2 setting at the barber.

This thing is no joke.

I have used it for 6 months or so to shave up around my beard. It's not a super-close shave, and it's definitely not a replacement for a razor, or a foil/rotary shaver, but it will keep you clean-looking for the day. My beard doesn't grow very fast, so I generally use it between razor shaves to keep the stubble at-bay.

When I use it with shaving cream, I get slightly closer results, but still not baby's-butt-smooth.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
This one!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...onic+shavers+for+men

This for sure, went from Norelco to Panasonic a couple years ago.
Works great, much better shave than a rotary.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have that Braun 7. It's seriously built but I prefer the rotary. For me, I often go days without shaving, and the Braun doesn't do the job as well as the Norelco.

Further, the Braun will not work if it is plugged in which annoyed me at first. Safety feature they say.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Foil for me, I have a Panasonic though I don't use it as much as I used to. No need to shave every day for me anymore. I mostly use safety razors now. A little more time consuming but much cheaper.

For the times I do use the electric, I went with a foil because it shaves much closer. The rotary just didn't shave as close as I preferred. The foils do need to be replaced, the blades about every year or so depending on how thick your hair is. They're not cheap, I think I paid about $50 or so, it's about 1/3 of the cost of the razor itself.

The rotary just took too much time/effort while giving less of a shave just didn't work out for me.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I'll break the paradigm. Get new rotary blades for your Norelco. Do a quick shave with it over your whole face then shave with Edge and a blade. I've been doing this for years. I have nil skin irritation from the blade, an incredibly close shave and the blades last forever.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Foil shaves closer than rotary, but some like rotary better.

In foil, either the top Braun or the top Panasonic is the one to get. Brauns probably get a few more higher reviews, but it is very close.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I never could use an electric shaver until I bought my Braun series 7. It's not as close as a blade, but it's pretty darn close and more convenient for me now that I actually have to shave daily. I change my shaver head yearly, but I don't let it get to the point where I really HAVE to. I could probably go 18 months if I pushed it. I do use the cleaning station and that may add a little longevity to the head.

I can't use a rotary shaver. Tears my face up. I've always heard that foil works better for some folk, and rotary works better for others.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Re: Braun foil shavers...
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I change my shaver head yearly, but I don't let it get to the point where I really HAVE to. I could probably go 18 months if I pushed it.

I was gifted that Series 5 about (waggles hand...) I'm going to say 14 months ago or so? 15? Still on the first head. Still giving me a great shave.

I'll run a Trac II I've had for about forever over my face, after I shave with the Braun, to catch any stragglers that may have escaped.

quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I do use the cleaning station and that may add a little longevity to the head.

I use the cleaning station about twice a week. First I pop the foil and shake/tap out the clippings, then rinse the head thoroughly under warm-to-hot water, shake it out, and into the cleaning station.

That way one cleaning cartridge lasts most of a season. (I grow a beard in the fall, shave it off in spring.) I save the caps, remove the bath cartridge, and cap it back up in the fall.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Norelco rotary but I use it with shaving cream. Best shave I ever had, better than even a blade. Because mine is the rinsable type I use like a blade but it does the contours of the chin better than a blade.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post