SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Army to scrap traditional pushups, situps as part of fitness test - new test rollout by 2020
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army to scrap traditional pushups, situps as part of fitness test - new test rollout by 2020 Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

No chin ups??

Yeah, replaced with Leg Tucks. Pull-ups for girls.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

No chin ups??

Yeah, replaced with Leg Tucks. Pull-ups for girls.

Umm...no, the leg tuck is a core exercise and a fairly difficult one at that.

The deadlift is the "pull" (and the king of lifts).

Here is why this is outstanding. This thing has multiple minimum requirements for different MOS's based on the demands of the job. It is gender and age neutral (as is combat).

As always, PT score is also promotion points and NCOER bullet points. So now, if someone wants to be a PT stud, they still need the upper body strength of push ups, but more of it (T-push ups are harder). They need more true core strength than the injury producing feet-held sit ups ever demanded. They need the total body pulling power to put up a big dead number, they need good anaerobic conditioning (most important energy system for combat) to max the shuttle run-drag. I'm neutral on the med ball throw, I think that will be as much about technique and practice as power. Oh, still gotta put in a decent 2mi time.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
What? You mean you'll no longer get to hold your buddy's feet while he's doing sit-ups, all the while turning his ass inside out rocket farting in your face with every rep? The Army just ain't what it used to be.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
What? You mean you'll no longer get to hold your buddy's feet while he's doing sit-ups, all the while turning his ass inside out rocket farting in your face with every rep? The Army just ain't what it used to be.

Lol, that actually brought back memories..

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
At West Point on the apft we had to do our pushups on a clicker board...Arms couldn’t be wider that the board, had to go down and make it click

I am 6’5 with a nearly 7’ wingspan and I wear a 56xl suit coat to give you an idea of the size of my chest

The form I had to use to comply with that fucking clicker board was horribly painful

Long have our people suffered through the tests of those 'average' in size. Yes, Mr. Short-built-like-a-fireplug-Wrestler, you can do so very many pushups, but you only need to move six inches for each rep. Try it when you have another 16 inches tacked on.

Life is hard when you're in the 99th percentile for height, so very, very hard. Big Grin

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post