SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A heart attack recently caused me to miss a month’s worth of lurking.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A heart attack recently caused me to miss a month’s worth of lurking. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
After two years on the Whole Food Plant Based Diet, I figured my cardiac arteries were clean as a whistle, but six coronary artery by passes proved otherwise. The doc did suggest that even after eating like a hog for the last 70 years, the diet might have bought me some time.
With all new pipes, will I go back to the bacon, sausage, BBQ and everything fried and served with gravy diet? Probably not. It’s doubtful there are any spare veins left in my legs.
The whole event was mostly painless; only had a little tightness in my chest. However, those anxiety attacks when trying to breath while walking the first few days were terrifying. The meter that showed the oxygen saturation of my blood to be 99% did NOT help calm me down. All those exhortations to breath in through my nose and out through my mouth didn’t help either. The best I could do was pant like a frightened rabbit. There were also some bouts of jiggling like jello on speed that wasn’t much fun either. I don’t recall anyone ever mentioning those two activities, but thank goodness that crazy stuff has stopped.
I’m home now and able to slowly get where I need to go.
BTW it only takes a few seconds to get your priorities straight. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a new lease on life.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you are better and up moving. Keep moving! I barely dodged the bullet when I was 50 with a 95% blockage to my LAD.

Luckily the doc was able to use a rotorblater to widen the opening and snake through an angioplasty device.

72 now and still alive thanks to statins I guess. Still trying to exercise regularly.

Stay well!

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Glad you're on the mend.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
We members of the forum need to stop with the joining this "new club" trend and go back to our boring lives...

Live long, and prosper!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Glad you are okay.
I can relate.

In March, I had a mild heart attack, it was none of the usual symptoms doctors mention. I thought I was having one of my extreme hypertension episodes, with the exception, my left arm at the shoulder felt like Hulk Hogan was twisting it.

Should have gone to the ER, but just did not figure it was a heart attack...no headaches,nasuea, dizziness or chest pain.

Just HBP and shoulder pain.

I went to the ER the next day, they confirmed I had a mild heart attack. Put me in the hospital, for observation and tests, after the tests, I found out I was lucky, they did not see any heart damage.

I have Two stents in my arteries at my heart, and congestive heart failure. Learned my lesson , go to the ER ASAP when ever something is abnormal.

Do take care.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it, buddy.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad that you are on the mend

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re hanging tough. As I read your post, I immediately flashed to the not being able to breathe. I gasped like a fish out of water.

It was work to bring my lungs back after being ‘flattened out’. In the pre-op orientation no one mentioned & I wasn’t smart enough to realize my lungs would be a hurdle after the by pass.

Get healthy, treat yourself to some bacon. Hell, you could step off a curb and get hit.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
...it only takes a few seconds to get your priorities straight. Smile

It sure does!

I'm glad you are on the mend.

Spent some time in oblivion myself, only to wake up in the NSICU days later.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it and are on the mend......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Way to get it checked out and taken care of. I had a widowmaker about 6 years ago and had zero symptoms other than a little tired. If you think you might have an issue, PLEASE get it checked out.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I am pleased you survived it well.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I am glad you're okay, Sportshooter!

In addition to my normal physical, I just had a calcium score test done. I highly recommend it because normal EKGs don't always tell the story, especially if you are otherwise in good shape and physically active.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Glad to have you back, and doing well. I underwent a quadruple bypass some years back.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re back and doing well. I keep working toward a better diet. The more if these threads I read, the more it pushes me to make a salad over having a steak.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder with modern medicine how many of us are living with low Ejection Fractions.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on winning. Glad to have you back.

Modern medicine is truly amazing!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Glad you faired well. Getting older is tough.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Hang in there. At least you are still above ground!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post