SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The temperature dropped to 22°F last night and you won't believe what happened next ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The temperature dropped to 22°F last night and you won't believe what happened next ... Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
You guys like my click bait title? Big Grin

One of the coldest nights of the year and the pressure switch sticks open on the furnace. No heat last night at all. Woke up to a 60° house.

One of the flue pipes was off. Confused It was the one that draws air in from outside not the one that goes out. Maybe something got in and blocked the pressure switch. I reseated the pipes and unseated and reseated the hoses to the switch and it seems to be working.

Think I should replace it? If it works, it's good, right? It's not a complicated part. I probably should keep a spare on hand though.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
You guys like my click bait title? Big Grin

Ha, that was my first thought. Maybe a misleading thumbnail image to go along with it?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Try this one trick to get it working again!

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
<It will BLOW YOUR MIND.>

<Authorities DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW about Mark123s INVENTION>

Since you started the clickbait thing, I figured I'd continue. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Excellent click bait title. Big Grin

I know exactly what part you need to replace. The answer will shock you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If it's not one WEIRD trick then I ain't trying it.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If it's not one WEIRD trick then I ain't trying it.

Weird old trick.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Woke up to a 60° house.

That's about the temp I keep the house on at night, I wouldn't have noticed any difference Wink

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
quote:
Woke up to a 60° house.

That's about the temp I keep the house on at night, I wouldn't have noticed any difference Wink

+1

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Furnace gets OWNED by mark123. Click to see what happens next!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You won't believe what she looks like now.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Meteorologists hate this. (A smartphone weather app.)

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Not quite two weeks ago I had the same thing happen, I have a Service Guard account so it didn't cost anything to have a repairman come out and replace the part. I don't know what the cost would've been if I didn't have SG.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
Not quite two weeks ago I had the same thing happen, I have a Service Guard account so it didn't cost anything to have a repairman come out and replace the part. I don't know what the cost would've been if I didn't have SG.
HVAC guys don't want this information out but mark123 shows this one weird trick to let you know that it costs about $20 for the part and probably $100 for the service call.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous though that you can even start to figure out what might be wrong. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't know anything except the furnace isn't working.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm jealous though that you can even start to figure out what might be wrong. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't know anything except the furnace isn't working.
Well, you take off the cover first. Then you hold the safety interlock closed so the furnace starts up. There is usually an LED that will blink if there is an error code detected and the error code list is usually on the inside of the cover. It's pretty descriptive and there is also a schematic of the system on the inside of the cover as well.

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
HVAC guys don't want this information out but mark123 shows this one weird trick to let you know that it costs about $20 for the part and probably $100 for the service call.

Big Grin Pretty funny, needed a laugh today. Thanks. On a serious note the repairman told me what most HVAC markup the cost of parts, I told him that those guys should have to wear a ski mask and point a gun at you when they make their quote.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the lonely college coed neighbor was also cold and wanted to slip under your covers.

Posts: 7449 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
quote:
Woke up to a 60° house.

Same here. We keep our heater setting at 58.

Posts: 7247 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Mark123 made one service call to HVAC guys and now he gets 9 paychecks each week! His bank statements show that you can too!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post