SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone watching Golf? Phil is having a VERY rough day....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone watching Golf? Phil is having a VERY rough day.... Login/Join 
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Always liked Mickelson but they didn't give him the moniker 'Phil the Thrill' for nothing. Smile

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

He has a such a killer short game but some of those tee shots - ugh!

Interestingly, on the whole, Phil is an average to a little better than average short game player. Statistically. But he does have a bigger variety of shots he will attempt, a great imagination for shots, and a willingness to try them. So he gets it close sometimes when others won't try to get it close. But, on the whole, he isn't a spectacular short game player.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I recorded the last two hours of the final round and will watch it this week - didn't get a chance to see it yesterday although I know the outcome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
But, on the whole, he isn't a spectacular short game player.

Really? Red Face If Phil's short game isn't spectacular, whose is?

BTW I was wrong, the PGA didn't pull Doral from this tournament. No sponsor stepped up to keep it at Doral for this year, the course may be back hosting in the near future.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...s.html#ixzz4aYtsOdJG

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Wow, where did this Rahm guy come from? He seems pretty solid for a rookie. It will be interesting to watch him this year.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
He has a such a killer short game but some of those tee shots - ugh!

Interestingly, on the whole, Phil is an average to a little better than average short game player. Statistically. But he does have a bigger variety of shots he will attempt, a great imagination for shots, and a willingness to try them. So he gets it close sometimes when others won't try to get it close. But, on the whole, he isn't a spectacular short game player.

He will definitely take the risky shots that a lot of pros won't. They can do them, they just weigh the risks as too great. Still fun to watch even it he gets burned by it.

Sometime last year I was watching Morning Drive on TGC and Charlie Rymer was talking about Phil's swing changes. Angle of this, plane of that...he said (paraphrasing), "What I hear when a Pro is talking like this is he isn't making the putts. When the ball is dropping into the hole, none of the tee to green stuff matters."
It "doesn't matter" as long as you aren't hitting it so far off line that the next swing is after a drop and making your hands sweat. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
Haven't followed golf much since my back got to the point I couldn't play myself anymore, but Phil was always fun to watch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

Phil is 38th on the tour so far this year in the short game. That is out of 265, so he is better than average, but of those 265, only a 100 or so really matter, so among the best players, he isn't a spectacular short game player.

That is about where he usually comes in that stat, or even a little worse.

As I said, he can pull off some spectacular shots, and often tries those shots, so he seems better than he is. Day-to-day, he is good, but not great.

He is a good short game player, a good putter, and a good ball-striker. (But a not-so-good driver.) Because his good at three of the four big skill categories, he is in contention a lot, and even wins a few, even at his advanced age. Wink

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.087.html

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've watched too much golf in my life and I'm hard pressed to think of a better short game than Phil's. Woods in his prime could almost always get it up and down.

I can put only so much stock in stats. A missed green and an up-and-down are just numbers. Phil's driver has always been balky, setting up a missed green, many times in worse than average trouble.

Even more telling IMO is his putting. He's looked great the last year or more but has historically been an awful short putter. That'll fry your short game stats. It can't be ignored, it's part of the process but Phil's short game has consistently put him in position to save par throughout his career. All else considered, Phil is one of the worst short putters I've seen. I'd take his short game -- forgetting the short putts -- over anyone else's.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:

Phil is 38th on the tour so far this year in the short game. That is out of 265, so he is better than average, but of those 265, only a 100 or so really matter, so among the best players, he isn't a spectacular short game player.

That is about where he usually comes in that stat, or even a little worse.

As I said, he can pull off some spectacular shots, and often tries those shots, so he seems better than he is. Day-to-day, he is good, but not great.

He is a good short game player, a good putter, and a good ball-striker. (But a not-so-good driver.) Because his good at three of the four big skill categories, he is in contention a lot, and even wins a few, even at his advanced age. Wink

And with arthritis Wink Imagine if Fred Sanford had access to Enbrel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I watch golf almost every weekend.
I did not watch this weekend, I wanted to see The Doral.
At my house, it was a two person boycott.

Yep same here,

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post