SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Met a fascinating guy at the OGCA show-Winchester 1907 related
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Met a fascinating guy at the OGCA show-Winchester 1907 related Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
I attended the OGCA show in Wilmington, Ohio toady. This was the show where they have several exhibits set up, ie...The pistols of Camp Perry, Gansters, Rugers, Colt Double Action Revolvers, Lugers, Marlin Rifles, military rifles firing grenades, etc....

Well tucked in the back corner was a a booth, with a couple of Authors, one of whom was Leonard Speckin, who wrote a book about one of my favorite rifles of all time, the Winchester Model 1907.

I have the John Henwood Book from 1995 (The forgotten Winchesters), so I was thrilled to find a newer book about the 1907.

Anyway, it made my day and I now have a book to read while enjoying a cold beer and a cigar this weekend.

Leonard's story of his 1907 is pretty neat, how he sold it while in College and then (after years of posting ads, looking for it) bought it back years later.

I was surprised at the number of people who stopped by while I was there, to share their stories of the 1907, one gentleman even had pics of a recent, successful Pig hunt in TN, with his 1907.

Are there any other fans of the Winchester 1907 here on SIGforum?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I didn't have the 1907...but I did own a 1910 that I found at a gun store back in the middle 70s. Sadly it had a very rough chamber as well as a few other issues (plus .401 WSL ammo was getting rare and spendy even then) so I ended up selling it to a gunsmith friend who ended up displaying it in his shop. I always wanted a 1907 to go along with my granddad's 1903 which I still have (along with a brick and a half of .22 Winchester Auto Smile)...they were really a slick design...

Your post made me think about the listing for the 1907 from my 1957 Shooters Bible so I snapped a pic. $169.90 was a lot of money in 1957.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that. That was a lot of money back then for sure. I was unaware they were that expensive. Hell until a couple of years ago (when the interest kicked back up), you could buy them on the used market for that same amount.

I have been able to buy 2-10 round and 6-5 round magazines. There was a time when I told people you can buy all the magazines you want, they are a little expensive, but they also come with a gun. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. I have had it about 35 years. It is late production, with a curved cocking piece. It came with 2 ten round magazines. I think I have about 300 or 400 hundred round of assorted factory ammo for it. The last time I saw any new factory ammo, a gun store had some new WW ammo. I forgot what he wanted for it, but I thought it was too much. I went home and looked at what they were asking for it on Gunbroker. The store's price was real good. He had three boxes. I went back the next day and it was all gone. I think it is a neat looking old gun. When Taurus came out with a reproduction of the Winchester 63, I bought one. I like the design.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just fondling one at my LGS. In pretty fair shape but only one mag. I passed due to ammo scarcity. Great design and like all older Winchesters, feels substantial in hand. Popular with cops in days gone by.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16069 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post