SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire Experts, Your Opinions on Tire Pressures
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Experts, Your Opinions on Tire Pressures Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not needed and doubly so on something as light as a Jeep. Keep them in the 30s and enjoy the slightly better ride.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only way to properly find the correct tire pressure is with a tire pyrometers running tests at various pressures till you find the pressure that results in the most consistent tire temperatures across the entire width of the tire. For most of us that is just not possible.

The tire pressure on the side of the tire is the MAXIMUM tire pressure when the tire is loaded to it's designed maximum load rating. It was never intended to be the pressure you should use for normal driving significantly below the tire's load limit.

The vehicle manufacturer is required to put a sticker on the door jam that indicates the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle. For me, this my starting point. Increment the tire pressure one or two psi at a time. Then go on a drive to gauge how your car drives. Your prescribed course should put the car (and tires) through a number of senarios that will allow you assess the characteristics important to you. Drive the exact same test course at each tire pressure setting. Your final pressure should be pretty close to the printed pressure on your door jam sticker. For me, my final pressure is usually around 2-4 psi higher than the recommended pressure, but I have access to a tire pyrometer so I am able to get a more exact final result than most people. A couple of things to know:

Higher pressures will result in a harsher ride, possible better fuel mileage, and lower ultimate mechanical grip since you will have a smaller contact patch. Significantly higher pressure will unnecessarily stress the structure of the tire. Many people like moderately higher pressure because the car will seem to respond better to steering inputs.

Lower pressures will result in higher ultimate grip, but the tire will run at a higher temperature, get less fuel mileage and will tend to feel less precise than higher pressures. Again, at significantly lower pressures you will experience adverse wear so the tire will need to be replaced prematurely.

With moderation, tire pressure is a personal preference. You should not see any noticeable change in safety or tire life as long as you are only fine tuning your preferred tire pressure to your needs.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I run the truck at 38, 40 if towing - I like the feel of it. Wife's right on spec 35. Stang at 34 cold.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post