SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions for those familiar with IT Band pain.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions for those familiar with IT Band pain. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I'm trying to figure out how to avoid IT Band pain. I think I've narrowed it down to the short leg and the need to build more than average strength in the hamstrings and flutes to better control the stride. . All the normal remedies like rolling and stretching aren't doing anything and I've researched that since it's a Band and not a muscle, it can't be stretched.

My next step is a single orthotic to even leg length up and make the hips more level.

Am I off base?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I used to be bothered by it a lot. Coincidence or not, it seemed to go away after I got orthotic wedges to correct my over-pronation, that was contributing to my plantar fasciitis. Might want to check with a podiatrist about that.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have that issue as well. It never bothered me until a few years ago. I am loosing weight but I had the issue when I was lighter and stronger too.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My wife suffered from IT Band issues when she was running 50-70 miles a week.
She found a Chiropractor that specialize in Active Release Techniques (ART) at 1st it took biweekly visits, then down to monthly. Made a world of difference for her.
Now we have 3 kiddos and her mileage is way down and no issues.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Go to a massage therapist and have them work on the psoas along with the other areas that could cause IT problems. You will cry, but your IT band will probably feel better after.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the guy that invented ART. He saved my knee in three visits years ago. Met him through the bike racing scene, as he did lots of racers all through the 90s. Fixed many guys who "needed surgery" according to ortho docs. He has since trained many others and you can find them on this site. Yes it hurts....but it works like nothing else.
http://www.champion-health.com...s/dr-p-michael-leahy

Posts: 784 | Location: CO | Registered: December 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent 2 months in physical therapy for IT band issues in both knees. Treatments included foam rollers (talk about agony!), electric muscle stimulation therapy (extremely uncomfortable), massages, stretching, and strengthening exercises (leg press, elliptical machine, recumbent stationary bike, wall chair, and wall chair while holding a ball between my knees).

My doctor and therapist said IT band issues usually stem from muscle imbalances, so stretching the outside of the thigh while strengthening the inner thigh was recommended.

I'm not as active now as I was then, but I still do IT band stretches as part of my exercise cool down routine. I haven't had problems since completing therapy.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had IT Band issues about 5 years ago when I ran my first half marathon. My case was due to over striding. I bought a foam roller, took a break and worked with a running coach to improve my form/stride. I haven't had any issues since.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post