SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man dies after "accidental" shooting at local range
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man dies after "accidental" shooting at local range Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
Public gun ranges really have gotten to be a health hazard. I know of one local range alone, that has had at least 3 suicides take place. Every time I have to attend one I see scary shit from others on the line. There is a lot to be said for living where you can set up your own range.

We have our own range. Berms, backstop, fencing, everything.

Turning into a big pain in the ass due to trespassers. They disregard the red gate or push it open with their vehicle. They shoot up the 4X4 posts and/or leave their trash laying everywhere. Set up trail cams and so far have caught 4 groups and they were prosecuted.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
  • Mechanically check your firearm
  • Visually check your firearm
  • Physically check your firearm

Mechanically means operating the bolt (to extract/eject) and physically means finger in the chamber?

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the range I used to belong to in NH had a rash of suicides - someone would come in, rent a pistol, but a box of ammo, and put the last one through the roof of his mouth

he spent a lot of money fixing holes in roofs and hiring hazmat teams to come in and clean up the mess

now you cannot be a solo person and come in the door and rent a pistol - must be in a group of at least two

unless you're a well known customer

its the way it is

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
now you cannot be a solo person and come in the door and rent a pistol - must be in a group of at least two

Another tactic I've seen is ranges that won't rent a gun unless you have at least one gun of your own.

Shows that they're not renting the gun to shoot themselves, because otherwise they'd just do it with their own gun.

But it sucks for people new to guns who are wanting to buy their first, but want to try a few out first.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The employee was clearing or cleaning the gun, but forgot the part about having the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
The employee was clearing or cleaning the gun, but forgot the part about having the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

In his defense, I can see how it could be easy to forget that things like "solid" walls actually aren't so solid, and aren't necessarily a safe direction.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
My daughter is an EMT, and answered a call at a public range, where a shooter accidentally shot himself. They took him to a level 1 trauma ER and the shooter recovered. Another time she rolled up on a bad car wreck where the driver that caused the accident was drunk, and the victim was an LEO. Unfortunately the LEO didn't make it. That really pisses me off when I think about drunk drivers and the danger they bring to the road. I feel the same way about bad ranges, who let in any yahoos to do any kind of stupid shit with their guns. That pisses me off. I don't go to ranges like that, and if an RO isn't doing his job, I'll point out the problem. If the RO doesn't respond and fix the situation, I leave post haste.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep.

quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
  • Mechanically check your firearm
  • Visually check your firearm
  • Physically check your firearm

Mechanically means operating the bolt (to extract/eject) and physically means finger in the chamber?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot at this particular range a few times, never really impressed with the help/RO's at the time and swore not to go back again.... I shoot at private range much closer to me now (Bayou Rifles, Juliff range for those who might be near me) during the week and feel much much more comfortable there.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A deer hunter was unloading a Remington 700 a few years ago and put a round through the floor board of his pickup.
I read something about a problem with the Remington triggers. Can’t remember if it was with the 600 or 700 model.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
A deer hunter was unloading a Remington 700 a few years ago and put a round through the floor board of his pickup.
I read something about a problem with the Remington triggers. Can’t remember if it was with the 600 or 700 model.

This one?

http://remingtonfirearmsclassactionsettlement.com

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sad to say, but I've started avoiding other shooters I don't know.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's a bad day when you think of going to the gun range to relax and end up getting shot. Sorry for the guy. Wrong place at the wrong time to be exactly where he stood.

On the other hand, that field reporter is very easy on the eyes. But maybe it's just the make up.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post