SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do you use self check out registers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do you use self check out registers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I use them almost exclusively so that I can bag the items exactly as I please. I bag items by their location in the refrigerator and pantry.

I very rarely have more than 20-30 items and actually go out of my way to avoid stores without self checkout.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
And Balze, I can't recall the last time I ever used a vending machine.

Actually...neither can I.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
The self checkout at Home Depot pisses me off because there is a camera with a bright light right in my face. The camera is bad enough but that bright light shining right in my eyes is irritating.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I don't use them. Especially at homedepot.

I've been known to leave long lines that are taking too long also, and just walk away. I'll shop somewhere that values my business enough to keep the wait times to a reasonable length.

I'm also the guy who will shop at midnight during tourist season, and get 3-4 weeks of stuff to avoid leaving the house during tourist season. I have a lot more patience for "slow"/"new" cashiers. What I can't stand are tourists/foreigners clogging the lines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Because they are there.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they rarely have enough cashiers at the other registers,
I use them when I have 12 things to check out, or fewer .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rock the shit out of those things. waiting around is for suckers.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
At the grocery, I always use the self-checkout when I have just a few items when I'm making a pick-up run during the weekday.

On the weekends, when my wife is with me during the main shopping requirement, we will use the cashier lane. I unload the cart onto the belt, cashier scans items, and the wife will either bag it herself and/or supervise the bagging. Too many times we've had the scratching-his-ass-while-staring-at-the-Moon teenage doofus put the bread and eggs on the bottom and then dump the canned goods on top of the crushable. Once I had to loudly express my dissatisfaction as to how the bagger was performing her "job", as she was literally throwing the snack chips into our bags in an attempt to get a "three-point shot".

The employment requirement for our grocery seems to get if you are breathing then you are hired, and if you are a "protected entitlement person" then you are advanced as quickly as possible up the corporate employment ladder.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's weighed every time you ring something up. The bag is on a scale. If you wring up something and the weight doesn't match then it freezes the machine and someone has to come check what's going on.

The accuracy of those things is pretty amazing. When it know I didn't put a bag of plastic wall anchors or similar in the bag yet, that's incredibly light.

quote:
I've been known to leave long lines that are taking too long also, and just walk away.

TL;DR - don't piss of your paying customers at checkout.

I was with a friend at Big Orange Home Hell when he was redirected not once, but twice from one register to another while holding a box of roofing nails on his shoulder and an armload of lumber under his other arm. I think I was carrying a box of finishing nails and something else. After the second time, he just looked at them, and dropped everything right where he stood. The nail box exploded and there were roofing nails everywhere.

Immature overreaction perhaps, but that was the last time he went in one. I recall it clearly, but I don't recall what I said as I put down the rest of his stuff and followed the vapor trail out the door. I felt like I should get a broom, but it wasn't worth missing my only ride home!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post