SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do you use self check out registers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do you use self check out registers? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I don't use them because the few times I tried I had a problem every single time.

Regarding Fast Food checkout, I'll be the germophobe in this thread.
Yeah, I want to eat food with my hands after touching that kiosk screen that 1200 people before me, with questionable hygiene, have touched.

I'm with you here I don't like touching things other people of touched, especially right before eating.

I don't use self check out things, they break or don't work to often, then I have to have some chick come over and put a code in it. Then it yells at me if it doesn't weight the product right or if I don't want to bag the one item I am buying.

If the made them easier to interact with and more reliable I'd give them a try, especially if I don't have to touch the screen.

Home Depot has almost completely done away with cashiers here, drives me nuts.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, I want to eat food with my hands after touching that kiosk screen that 1200 people before me, with questionable hygiene, have touched.

Have you checked out Cletus, Darlene, and Que'Shayda preparing your food? Probably cleaner in the local truck stop bathroom than it is in some of their homes Eek . I can't see them being any cleaner than the thousands touching the screen before me. Plus, I know how to use my knuckle to touch the screen rather than my fingertip Wink

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I NEVER use them. Part of the price I am paying is for someone else to scan and bag my stuff.

I want my money's worth.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I use 'em if the lines at human-served check-out lanes are overly busy or if there'd be any wait at all and I have just a couple items.

Otherwise I try to use the human-served check-out lanes.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

I'm with you here I don't like touching things other people of touched, especially right before eating.

Some of you guys crack me up.

Regarding the self check out thingies, I've often wondered how much stores lose in theft at these things. It would be quite easy to just toss items in the bag without scanning them.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use human cashiers unless none are available.

If the store wants to encourage me to use them, they should offer a discount.

At a fast food joint, assuming there's no bar codes / reader to fool with and assuming it's programed with a decent interface, I'd have no issue at all ordering via a kiosk.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I go the path of least resistance, be it the self check-out or the cashier line.

This

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Some of you guys crack me up.

Regarding the self check out thingies, I've often wondered how much stores lose in theft at these things. It would be quite easy to just toss items in the bag without scanning them.

It's weighed every time you ring something up. The bag is on a scale. If you wring up something and the weight doesn't match then it freezes the machine and someone has to come check what's going on.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I use whatever looks like it will be quicker.

Most often there is only one or two lines with cashers open. Much quicker to just do it myself.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
My supermarket also offers handheld scanners you can use to scan your groceries as you shop, bag them as you select them, and then run the scanner once through the self-checkout kiosk. It tells you how much you owe, you pay and you're out the door.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
I NEVER use the self service because it is never really self service. There is always at least one item that won't scan properly or has the wrong price, so then you have to WAIT until a clerk comes to investigate. So "self service" = "extra slow sevirce".

I'm getting the feeling many people just don't how to use them properly. I can normally fly through a self checkout register. I have issues maybe 10% of the time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Reasonable arguments.

So if these "first time" jobs go away, what replaces them?

For some (imo) this a reasonable step as far as employment. For others there won't be another step up.

Employers need people with some basic skills. Sometimes the public schools are producing them, sometimes they are producing tree hugger idealists. Don't forget the political leaning of a majority of teachers.

If a "living wage" is required for first time employees I am guessing you are not going to like the new price of your bagels.

There are things that will never go away. Someone will always need to scrub a toilet or stock the shelves of the store, and lawns will always need to be mowed. To answer your question though: A replacement might be as simple as web or app design. As was stated earlier, if you take away the tedious, menial jobs, you create an opportunity to get into something else right out of the gate. Most teens today are a lot more technologically skilled than most of us were at that age, so perhaps banging out a few lines of code isn't outside of the realm of possibility. I will re-state what I said before though...one has to have the desire to become employed, so it's not even a point worth discussing if the majority of those that could benefit from low skill jobs are unwilling to even try a low skill job.

As far as wages go: a living wage isn't what is reasonable nor prudent for a low skill job. If a cheap machine can replace the human in any given role, then I don't see why a human should get gobs of money to do the exact same task! Machines show up to work on time, don't talk back, and put 100% of themselves into their job. Can you say the same for most teens today?

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I go the path of least resistance, be it the self check-out or the cashier line.

This.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I use the self checkout when I have 6 items or less, the wife and I use the larger self checkout because I can bag while she scans.

I never use self checkout to try and buy alcohol, or when I'm by myself and have a cart full of groceries.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yes, because I value my time.

Yep.

Only caveat is that if the cart is more than half full I will use a regular checkout line if it's available. As 12131 said - I use the path of least resistance.

I also don't worry about the buggy whip makers and drive a car as well. Technology and jobs change over time.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This is silly.

A couple of hundred years ago, there were riots when mechanized looms began to replace the hand looms used in many homes to produce merchantable thread and cloth. The violence destroyed a great many of the mechanized looms, but the economics was unstoppable. There was some temporary distress during the changeover but eventually the economic impact was far better.

Recall the introduction and progress of computers since the 1950's. Think of all the jobs that were lost, industries eliminated, changed, etc. Anybody want to go back to film developing? Manual typewriters? Dial phones? Mimeograph machines?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think having the option to self check-out is good. I do it often when I have just a few items. It just goes faster. I understand those that don't like doing self check out and if that's your preference go for it. But reasoning you are saving peoples jobs by going to regular assisted check out line really doesn't wash. Automation and improved methods and procedures have been changing the work environment for as long as there's been employers and employees, and I would say for the most part it's been all good in the long term.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Quicker... I zip through.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
The only self checkout I use is at wally world. But then, I don't do much shopping, either. The Mrs. does 99.9% of it.

I have checked out at wally world with quite a few items. Goes faster than waiting on a cashier. And I hate to wait in line, or for some cashier that acts like they died 6 months ago and are waiting for burial.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I only use them if the manned registers are ridiculously long, and I'm not buying a large number of items and/or alcohol or produce.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post