SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like in portable Walkie Talkies?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like in portable Walkie Talkies? Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
What distances would you be trying to talk?

I'd expect those radios to get 5 miles.

What distances would you be trying to talk?

I'd expect those radios to get 5 miles.

1-2 mile radius waterfront area, but lots of Beach houses.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
With an HT and a good directional antenna you can talk to the International Space Station - it orbits about 250 miles up.

With a more powerful radio and using a good weak signal mode like CW or one of the digital modes, you can communicate with someone by bouncing your signal off the moon. That's about 240,000 miles there and another 240,000 miles back.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
We're trying goTenna Mesh in place of walkie talkies. The goTenna antenna pairs with an app on smartphones over Bluetooth. The app is texting instead of talking.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I swear, this forum costs me so much $$! Big Grin I've been on the fence wanting a pair of these radios for s long time, just for "just in case". Picked up these at Midway just now:

https://midlandusa.com/product/x-talker-t77vp5/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post