SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we like in portable Walkie Talkies?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like in portable Walkie Talkies? Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Motorola, Cobra Midland
Models #'s, sooo many to choose from...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Assuming you are thinking about FRS units, the Motorola and Midland radios I have are just fine.

There has apparently been or soon will be in effect, new rules that change the power levels and other details of that service, so new models are likely to be introduced shortly. Before you jump for higher power levels, be aware that battery life will go way down with higher power.

Someone will eventually come along here praising the Baofeng units. They are cheap, Chinese, cover nearly everything VHF/UHF. They are not FCC type accepted for FRS or other service and are complicated to program and use. They are not particularly good radios, but sometimes you don't mind oats that have already been run through the horse if the price is right.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
oats that have already been tun through the horse if the price is right.

Thanks JALLEN
I use the line, That good clean oats sell for a fair price. Oats that have already been through the horse are considerably cheaper!

You are the only person i ever heard use that similarity!

I agree that the Baofeng has a lot of chatter, but there's probably better.

I do not have any knowledge in watts or Hz channel qty...

Midland Motorola Cobra, which models?

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Look for features. Rechargeable batteries, headsets, silent tone, etc.

The ones I have are ten years or more old. I used them to hand out to our hiking group at Grand Canyon every year so they could keep in touch.

Frankly it was mostly a fiasco, because people who aren't used to using a radio have a hard time usung a radio. Each year I would conduct a briefing, demonstrate and have each of them use various features of the radio. As long as they did not have to change anything, the channel, the tones, they only had problems talking and listening. If we needed to change channels or use a different silent tone, they were hopeless. You have to use them regularly and often to get the hang of it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you trying to do with the radio's. Family fun then the Motorola units are fine. If its serious stuff you need to do something different. FRS/GMRS rules have been changed recently as was said.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I was looking at these:
Midland GXT1000VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Walkie-Talkie Radio-Pair

Midland LXT600VP3 30-Mile 36-Channel GMRS Two-Way Radio Pair Walkie Talkie NOAA

2 X Cobra CXT565 32 Mile Two Way Radio Waterproof LED Flashlight Walkie Talkie

Cobra CXT1095FLT 37Mile Range Floating Submersible 2-Walkie Talkies CXT 1095 FLT

Purpose: comm devices for emergencies (no cell power)

posted Hide Post
Go with Midland. Good performance for the buck. Mine are 7 years old and still work great. And be leery of transmit distance claims.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have extensive knowledge on the matter, but I can tell you that Motorola betteries seem to last the longest.
When I worked on the River Remediation Progect here the Motorola walkies lasted a long time compared to the other types in use.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
I was looking at these:

Cobra CXT1095FLT 37Mile Range Floating Submersible 2-Walkie Talkies CXT 1095 FLT

What distances would you be trying to talk?

I'd expect those radios to get 5 miles. I'd be amazed at 10. I'm not an expert, but line of sight is line of sight (and for an antenna held 6' up is less than 4 miles on paper).

30 miles maybe standing on top of a big rock in the desert.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:

Yep

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I ordered these recently. They support 2W channels (FRS and GMRS) although new models may be coming up that support up to 2W on all 22 channels.

I haven't tested them in the field - not sure what the range is. But they seem okay around the house so far.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
http://www.buytwowayradios.com...dio_range_chart.aspx

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

There has apparently been or soon will be in effect, new rules that change the power levels and other details of that service, so new models are likely to be introduced shortly.

Thank you for posting this. Where should we look for more details?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_pub...tch/DOC-344617A1.pdf may help.
But if you do a quick search on FCC rules changes for FRS you will find lots of 3rd party guidance.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Look for features. Rechargeable batteries, headsets, silent tone, etc.

The ones I have are ten years or more old. I used them to hand out to our hiking group at Grand Canyon every year so they could keep in touch.

Frankly it was mostly a fiasco, because people who aren't used to using a radio have a hard time usung a radio. Each year I would conduct a briefing, demonstrate and have each of them use various features of the radio. As long as they did not have to change anything, the channel, the tones, they only had problems talking and listening. If we needed to change channels or use a different silent tone, they were hopeless. You have to use them regularly and often to get the hang of it.

The biggest problem I see is people choking on the mic. The just can't get it in tbeir heads that you don't have to hold tbe thing right up to tbeir lips. When nobody can understand a word they say over the radio tthey just say it louder.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
I was looking at these:

I'd expect those radios to get 5 miles. I'd be amazed at 10. I'm not an expert, but line of sight is line of sight (and for an antenna held 6' up is less than 4 miles on paper).

If there's absolutely nothing between the two radios (e.g., you're standing on one mountainside and your buddy is standing on another mountainside) you could get 30 miles easily. That rarely happens, of course.

On flat terrain, in an urban area or forested area, you'd be lucky to get 1-2 miles.

If the terrain isn't flat, all that goes out the window. You could be 100 yards from your buddy - if there's a hill between you, you're probably out of luck.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
I was looking at these:

If there's absolutely nothing between the two radios (e.g., you're standing on one mountainside and your buddy is standing on another mountainside) you could get 30 miles easily. That rarely happens, of course.

On flat terrain, in an urban area or forested area, you'd be lucky to get 1-2 miles.

If the terrain isn't flat, all that goes out the window. You could be 100 yards from your buddy - if there's a hill between you, you're probably out of luck.

About a hour ago a guy came on our 2 meter repeater to talk to someone. This guy was on the observation deck of the State Capitol in Baton Rouge that's about 350' with a handheld 2 meter radio. Has trying to talk to a friend 30 miles away on a base with a good beam ant. He could talk a lot further than he could hear. I could hear him good at my house 25 mile away but he couldn't hear me.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My record is Pt. Loma in San Diego to Santa Barbara with a 70 cm h/t running 1/4 watt. Pt. Loma is a few hundred feet above the ocean. I have no idea about the conditions of the other fellow in Santa Barbara, or at least I no longer recall it. It's an over water path, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My record is Ft. Drum, NY to Ft. Sill, OK on a PRC-77. Of course, there was a big solar storm going on.

Man we had fun messing with the LT on the other end. Big Grin

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post